Genital mutilation - child abuse?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-12-2014, 07:08 PM
Genital mutilation - child abuse?
I met a lawmaker and expert on judicial matters over this weekend, a friend of my mother and a member of the social democratic party, whcih my mother is a member of aswell. He has worked on judicial matters and reforms for most of his life, so when he has something to say on it, I usualy listen carefully as someone may listen to an educator.

He mentioned a problem that came to this country via the 1990s waves of imigration. The genital mutilation of women, whereby the young muslim girls between the ages of 2 and 5 are taken abroad to muslim countries and in a very unsanetory and mostly illigal procedere have their clitoris and labia cut off. Mostly not by medical professionals but religious cealots and fanatics who probably know more about a goats sexlife than modern medicin.

He told me that currently if such a crime occurs, the parents returning to Austria will face criminal charges for aggravated assault of a minor under the Austrian legal code section for the protection of minors.

Now he argues, that the crime of mutilating the genitals of a child, should be sectioned in the legal code as a case of sexual assault on a minor.

What do you think?

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2014, 08:01 PM
RE: Genital mutilation - child abuse?
(07-12-2014 07:08 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  I met a lawmaker and expert on judicial matters over this weekend, a friend of my mother and a member of the social democratic party, whcih my mother is a member of aswell. He has worked on judicial matters and reforms for most of his life, so when he has something to say on it, I usualy listen carefully as someone may listen to an educator.

He mentioned a problem that came to this country via the 1990s waves of imigration. The genital mutilation of women, whereby the young muslim girls between the ages of 2 and 5 are taken abroad to muslim countries and in a very unsanetory and mostly illigal procedere have their clitoris and labia cut off. Mostly not by medical professionals but religious cealots and fanatics who probably know more about a goats sexlife than modern medicin.

He told me that currently if such a crime occurs, the parents returning to Austria will face criminal charges for aggravated assault of a minor under the Austrian legal code section for the protection of minors.

Now he argues, that the crime of mutilating the genitals of a child, should be sectioned in the legal code as a case of sexual assault on a minor.

What do you think?

No, it is not sexual assault - it is a human rights violation. It is the mutilation of a minor child.

It is disgusting.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
07-12-2014, 08:13 PM
If you feel a child's genitals that is sexual assault, so why should using a knife and causing permanent physical damage not be?

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
07-12-2014, 08:16 PM
(07-12-2014 08:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(07-12-2014 07:08 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  I met a lawmaker and expert on judicial matters over this weekend, a friend of my mother and a member of the social democratic party, whcih my mother is a member of aswell. He has worked on judicial matters and reforms for most of his life, so when he has something to say on it, I usualy listen carefully as someone may listen to an educator.

What do you think?

No, it is not sexual assault - it is a human rights violation. It is the mutilation of a minor child.

It is disgusting.

Can it not be both sexual assault and a human rights violation?

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
[+] 4 users Like Res Publica's post
07-12-2014, 08:20 PM
(07-12-2014 08:16 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  
(07-12-2014 08:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, it is not sexual assault - it is a human rights violation. It is the mutilation of a minor child.

It is disgusting.

Can it not be both sexual assault and a human rights violation?

It could be, but it is not really sexual. If you want to call it sexual assault, fine - but mutilation and human rights violation are more severe judgements.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
07-12-2014, 08:24 PM
(07-12-2014 08:13 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  If you feel a child's genitals that is sexual assault, so why should using a knife and causing permanent physical damage not be?

The former is a sexual act on the part of the perpetrator; the latter is not.

I don't know if I agree or not with the classification, even just for legal purposes, because there is a difference in the intent but I'm sympathetic to the idea. I'd have to give it more thought.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
07-12-2014, 08:41 PM
The law in this country [USA] would not treat it as sexual assault unless it was done for sexual gratification. The reason that we distinguish it from a sex crime is that the penalties are different. A guy who does it for sexual gratification is going to get some mental health treatment as part of the criminal penalty.
07-12-2014, 08:44 PM
Quote:The former is a sexual act on the part of the perpetrator; the latter is not.

There are catholic bishops who would kill for this job.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/07/health/new...al-herpes/

Quote:In the ritual, known as metzitzah b'peh, after removing the foreskin of the penis the person performing the procedure places his mouth briefly over the wound, sucking a small amount of blood out, which is discarded.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
07-12-2014, 08:47 PM
(07-12-2014 08:44 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  There are catholic bishops who would kill for this job.

Good point; if sexual gratification could be shown in specific cases then that should be part of the consideration for punishment. I'm just not convinced it is a sexual assault in the general case.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
08-12-2014, 07:51 AM
It's hard to believe that in the 21st century this is even a discussion.
How is it possible that genital mutilation is even still a thing?