Genital mutilation - child abuse?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2014, 08:42 AM
RE: Genital mutilation - child abuse?
(08-12-2014 07:51 AM)Machias Wrote:  It's hard to believe that in the 21st century this is even a discussion.
How is it possible that genital mutilation is even still a thing?

Religious indoctrination and social normalcy, mostly.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2014, 09:16 AM
(07-12-2014 08:16 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  
(07-12-2014 08:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, it is not sexual assault - it is a human rights violation. It is the mutilation of a minor child.

It is disgusting.

Can it not be both sexual assault and a human rights violation?

I would be inclined to agree that it is both.

The intent of female mutilation is to make it non-pleasurable and painful in order to prevent extramarital sex and ensure her chastity. It's one more way the men control the women.

For comparison to sexual assault:
Rape is not just about sexual gratification - it's about power and domination.

Both are an assault, an infringement upon one's rights. Both are related to sex. Both are about control. And both are heinous.

IMO, the crime of female genital mutilation should carry a harsher penalty than rape.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
08-12-2014, 10:20 AM
(08-12-2014 07:51 AM)Machias Wrote:  It's hard to believe that in the 21st century this is even a discussion.
How is it possible that genital mutilation is even still a thing?

For 62 of my 68 years I've been asking how it is still possible that people believe Jesus walked on water and raised the dead, that Mohammed flew to Heaven on a winged horse, and that Moses talked to a burning bush. When you look at the immense amount of crap people willingly believe, it's not hard to imagine that some believe genital mutilation is a good way to insure the loyalty of one's spouse. Hell, the Muslims believe that death is an appropriate penalty for blasphemy. How is it possible that that is still a thing?
08-12-2014, 11:39 AM
(08-12-2014 09:16 AM)Nurse Wrote:  
(07-12-2014 08:16 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  Can it not be both sexual assault and a human rights violation?

I would be inclined to agree that it is both.

The intent of female mutilation is to make it non-pleasurable and painful in order to prevent extramarital sex and ensure her chastity. It's one more way the men control the women.

Both are an assault, an infringement upon one's rights. Both are related to sex. Both are about control. And both are heinous.

IMO, the crime of female genital mutilation should carry a harsher penalty than rape.

Infant genital mutilation should be punished by death. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
08-12-2014, 12:33 PM
I watched a video on genital mutilation. It was a nightmare and I had to turn away and hit the mute button so I didn't hear the screaming little girls. What got me angry though was seeing women willingly put their daughters through it. THey keep this barbaric practice going even in some parts of the world where men are becoming more enlightened on the subject. Sometimes I think the mothers have this "well if I went through this agony then you should to" attitude. It's not just a male sexual domination thing, it's also about a mothers domination and control over their daughters. It's sick.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
08-12-2014, 02:31 PM
(08-12-2014 11:39 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-12-2014 09:16 AM)Nurse Wrote:  I would be inclined to agree that it is both.

Infant genital mutilation should be punished by death. Drinking Beverage

That is a bit extreme. A lot of years in jail sure, but death? I think death should be the very last resort for somethings so much worse.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
09-12-2014, 02:43 PM
Yes, with both sexes.
[+] 7 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
09-12-2014, 08:47 PM
(09-12-2014 02:43 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Yes, with both sexes.

A-fucking-men. I am perfectly fine with an adult choosing to have his or her privates sawn a bit, but I don't think children should be forced into that without their informed consent (and they really can't give it).

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 3 users Like Atothetheist's post
11-12-2014, 04:18 PM
(09-12-2014 08:47 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(09-12-2014 02:43 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Yes, with both sexes.

A-fucking-men. I am perfectly fine with an adult choosing to have his or her privates sawn a bit, but I don't think children should be forced into that without their informed consent (and they really can't give it).

Have you seen some of the documentaries on female genital mutilation? Its disgusting, rage inducing and just sickening.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 2 users Like Cathym112's post
11-12-2014, 06:37 PM
Both are wrong in my opinion, but I don't see how anyone in their right mind can argue that one is not worse than the other.
Female genital mutilation is more dangerous, more painful, more horrifying, and traditionally performed around closer to puberty.

Should people be allowed to circumcise their sons at birth? I don't think so, but it doesn't really compare to female genital mutilation.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post