Genocide in the Bible

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4 Average
30-09-2013, 04:09 PM
RE: Genocide in the Bible
(26-09-2013 09:17 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  All,

Again, I'm not denying it was a genocide, ...

... Anymore.

I doub't you've actually changed your mind, as that would be antithetical to you, but you've stopped arguing it at least.

(26-09-2013 09:17 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  ... I'm asking why you refuse to acknowledge the prophecies that if the genocide was incomplete, that marriage would lead to syncretistic religion would lead to diaspora would lead to worldwide persecution of the Jewish people, all of which have come to pass.

Hell of an appeal to consequences, that.

Tremendously unjustifiable, mind; would Sky Daddy have reached down and spared the Israelites the tender mercies of the far more powerful Assyrians, Babylonians, Egyptians, Greeks, Persians, Romans, and Arabs if only they'd gotten their ethnic cleansing on a little harder at the beginning? For serious? Hell of a bout of special pleading on behalf of one specific people, that.

I'm'a go full Godwin here, if y'all'll indulge me. I figure it's justified, since PJ absolutely loves going Godwin.

Hitler believed that if the removal of the Jews from Greater Germany was incomplete, it would lead to corruption and destruction of the German nation and the German peoples across Europe, all of which came to pass.

So congratulations, PJ. The difference between you and Hitler is coincidental. It lies not in what your actions are, but in why your perform them.

A believer in divine command is a divine command away from genocide.

God save us from the one who thinks they've received that command.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like cjlr's post
30-09-2013, 11:24 PM
(26-09-2013 10:57 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I hereby prophesize that you will continue to be disingenuous for the foreseeable future, you will continue to annoy others on the forums while you continue to post on this forum. Now either you will stop posting here to disprove my divine revelation, and I win. Or you will continue to post and in doing so prove that I had an 'authentic prophesy', and I win. Go on PJ, your move. Drinking Beverage

(30-09-2013 02:49 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  All we can prophesy here for you is that you didn't answer the question above:

"I'm not denying it was a genocide, I'm asking why you refuse to acknowledge the prophecies that if the genocide was incomplete, that marriage would lead to syncretistic religion would lead to diaspora would lead to worldwide persecution of the Jewish people, all of which have come to pass."

Check that out, I am a goddamn prophet! When can I start my church, get my tax breaks, and start getting rubes to throw money at me for my divine revelation?

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
01-10-2013, 08:55 AM
(30-09-2013 04:09 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(26-09-2013 09:17 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  All,

Again, I'm not denying it was a genocide, ...

... Anymore.

I doub't you've actually changed your mind, as that would be antithetical to you, but you've stopped arguing it at least.

(26-09-2013 09:17 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  ... I'm asking why you refuse to acknowledge the prophecies that if the genocide was incomplete, that marriage would lead to syncretistic religion would lead to diaspora would lead to worldwide persecution of the Jewish people, all of which have come to pass.

Hell of an appeal to consequences, that.

Tremendously unjustifiable, mind; would Sky Daddy have reached down and spared the Israelites the tender mercies of the far more powerful Assyrians, Babylonians, Egyptians, Greeks, Persians, Romans, and Arabs if only they'd gotten their ethnic cleansing on a little harder at the beginning? For serious? Hell of a bout of special pleading on behalf of one specific people, that.

I'm'a go full Godwin here, if y'all'll indulge me. I figure it's justified, since PJ absolutely loves going Godwin.

Hitler believed that if the removal of the Jews from Greater Germany was incomplete, it would lead to corruption and destruction of the German nation and the German peoples across Europe, all of which came to pass.

So congratulations, PJ. The difference between you and Hitler is coincidental. It lies not in what your actions are, but in why your perform them.

A believer in divine command is a divine command away from genocide.

Good point, but clearly what happened to Hitler's Germany was also covered in the scriptures. Hitler missed in his studies Esther 6, for one such example:

12 Afterward Mordecai went back to the king’s gate. But Haman hurried to his house, mourning and with his head covered. 13 When Haman told his wife Zeresh and all his friends everything that had happened to him, his wise men and his wife Zeresh said to him, “If Mordecai, before whom you have begun to fall, is of Jewish descent, you will not prevail against him but will surely fall before him.”
01-10-2013, 08:56 AM
(30-09-2013 11:24 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(26-09-2013 10:57 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I hereby prophesize that you will continue to be disingenuous for the foreseeable future, you will continue to annoy others on the forums while you continue to post on this forum. Now either you will stop posting here to disprove my divine revelation, and I win. Or you will continue to post and in doing so prove that I had an 'authentic prophesy', and I win. Go on PJ, your move. Drinking Beverage

(30-09-2013 02:49 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  All we can prophesy here for you is that you didn't answer the question above:

"I'm not denying it was a genocide, I'm asking why you refuse to acknowledge the prophecies that if the genocide was incomplete, that marriage would lead to syncretistic religion would lead to diaspora would lead to worldwide persecution of the Jewish people, all of which have come to pass."

Check that out, I am a goddamn prophet! When can I start my church, get my tax breaks, and start getting rubes to throw money at me for my divine revelation?

Get in line. I've been saying for more than a decade I can start a super-cool religion because of my knowledge. As a matter of fact, see my new thread!
01-10-2013, 09:34 PM
(30-09-2013 04:09 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(26-09-2013 09:17 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  SNIP

SNIP

EXACTLY. With the precedent of Moses, the entire world waits for the next West African general who thinks he's the prophet of the Abrahamic God. These ideas are DANGEROUS, and they have real world impacts all the time.

Why should we care about the impact of these horrible ideas, because they never actually happened? Unfortunately, the inquisitions DID happen, murder in the name of god has been happening for thousands of years and these documents are the sources for the INSPIRATION for the acts. Everyone should care about giving lunatics a license to kill.

Don't sell yourself short Judge, you're an incredible slouch.

Martin Luther was the "father" of two movements - The Reformation and Nazism.
02-10-2013, 01:19 PM
(01-10-2013 09:34 PM)Skippy538 Wrote:  
(30-09-2013 04:09 PM)cjlr Wrote:  SNIP

EXACTLY. With the precedent of Moses, the entire world waits for the next West African general who thinks he's the prophet of the Abrahamic God. These ideas are DANGEROUS, and they have real world impacts all the time.

Why should we care about the impact of these horrible ideas, because they never actually happened? Unfortunately, the inquisitions DID happen, murder in the name of god has been happening for thousands of years and these documents are the sources for the INSPIRATION for the acts. Everyone should care about giving lunatics a license to kill.

Exactly, my brother, exactly. That's why I'm glad this forum is obsessed with telling the Pope of Rome to STFO when he suggests that god loves everyone and that atheists are basically good, while all-but-ignoring the fundy Muslims who are waging war and genocide in 20 countries while you "wait" for crazy Abrahamic African generals to do what the Islamabombers be, like, doing.

Good call. Bite the hand that bleeds from the cross, I mean, feeds you.
02-10-2013, 02:14 PM
(02-10-2013 01:19 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Exactly, my brother, exactly. That's why I'm glad this forum is obsessed with telling the Pope of Rome to STFO when he suggests that god loves everyone and that atheists are basically good...

Obsessed? I've seen one pope thread in the last few weeks. The pope also chooses to represent an organization known for less than acceptable behavior and political stances. I'll reference the "Is the Catholic Church a force for good" video by Hitchens where he gives the audience a wonderful history lesson on the background of the church as my favorite example.

(02-10-2013 01:19 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  while all-but-ignoring the fundy Muslims who are waging war and genocide in 20 countries while you "wait" for crazy Abrahamic African generals to do what the Islamabombers be, like, doing.

Muslims don't get ignored. Where do you come to these conclusions? The thing is, we don't get a lot of Muslims on these forums. But we, for some reason, attract droves of Christians. Lucky us?

(02-10-2013 01:19 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Good call. Bite the hand that bleeds from the cross, I mean, feeds you.

The Catholic church could indeed feed a small country. Jesus would love a tour of the Vatican; he'd be happy to see how the money is being spent.

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
[+] 2 users Like guitar_nut's post
02-10-2013, 02:25 PM
(02-10-2013 02:14 PM)guitar_nut Wrote:  
(02-10-2013 01:19 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Exactly, my brother, exactly. That's why I'm glad this forum is obsessed with telling the Pope of Rome to STFO when he suggests that god loves everyone and that atheists are basically good...

Obsessed? I've seen one pope thread in the last few weeks. The pope also chooses to represent an organization known for less than acceptable behavior and political stances. I'll reference the "Is the Catholic Church a force for good" video by Hitchens where he gives the audience a wonderful history lesson on the background of the church as my favorite example.

(02-10-2013 01:19 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  while all-but-ignoring the fundy Muslims who are waging war and genocide in 20 countries while you "wait" for crazy Abrahamic African generals to do what the Islamabombers be, like, doing.

Muslims don't get ignored. Where do you come to these conclusions? The thing is, we don't get a lot of Muslims on these forums. But we, for some reason, attract droves of Christians. Lucky us?

(02-10-2013 01:19 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Good call. Bite the hand that bleeds from the cross, I mean, feeds you.

The Catholic church could indeed feed a small country. Jesus would love a tour of the Vatican; he'd be happy to see how the money is being spent.

Taking a wild guess I think this is because it is an english language forum. Generally speaking English speaking nations tend to be more Judeo-Christian in culture (historically) But this is a case of arguing the familiar rather than We (atheists) give a pass to muslims. Actually I think Islam is by far the more dangerous religion at the present. Christianity has reached the stage that most of the people that claim to be christian follow next to none of it's actual precepts and with the exception a a very small minority are fine to pay as little attention to it as possible. Islam on the other hand demands much more from it's followers and in the places where it is the majority (Malaysia, Indonesia, The Middle East) it is still stuck in the 7th century as far as it's social law is concerned.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 5 users Like Revenant77x's post
03-10-2013, 07:35 PM
(25-09-2013 02:10 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
(25-09-2013 01:31 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  SNIP

SNIP

(02-10-2013 01:19 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
(01-10-2013 09:34 PM)Skippy538 Wrote:  EXACTLY. With the precedent of Moses, the entire world waits for the next West African general who thinks he's the prophet of the Abrahamic God. These ideas are DANGEROUS, and they have real world impacts all the time.

Exactly, my brother, exactly. That's why I'm glad this forum is obsessed with telling the Pope of Rome to STFO when he suggests that god loves everyone and that atheists are basically good, while all-but-ignoring the fundy Muslims who are waging war and genocide in 20 countries while you "wait" for crazy Abrahamic African generals to do what the Islamabombers be, like, doing.

Great diversion. The ole' "yeah but look over here!"

If you were the teaching assistant for History of Christianity as I was to the Harvard educated professor (a devout evangelical no less), you would likely have developed some actual context about how these ideas had horrible, horrible, horrible impacts to the world for thousands of years - right up to about 200 years ago. Instead, you blow the reality of this human cost off because its "old news" and move to a target that isn't you. Your religion was, until very recently historically speaking, every bit as bad and worse than the Islamic Jihadists of today.

I'll be first to step up and drill Islam in the face with the World's Worst Religion certificate and first prize of a pile of dog shit, but you are a christian - the close second in the world's worst religion contest. Don't get too tired patting yourself on the back that you are not the "worst" religion - its a fairly recent development.

Again, good job, nice diversion.

Don't sell yourself short Judge, you're an incredible slouch.

Martin Luther was the "father" of two movements - The Reformation and Nazism.
07-10-2013, 02:38 PM
(03-10-2013 07:35 PM)Skippy538 Wrote:  
(25-09-2013 02:10 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  SNIP

(02-10-2013 01:19 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Exactly, my brother, exactly. That's why I'm glad this forum is obsessed with telling the Pope of Rome to STFO when he suggests that god loves everyone and that atheists are basically good, while all-but-ignoring the fundy Muslims who are waging war and genocide in 20 countries while you "wait" for crazy Abrahamic African generals to do what the Islamabombers be, like, doing.

Great diversion. The ole' "yeah but look over here!"

If you were the teaching assistant for History of Christianity as I was to the Harvard educated professor (a devout evangelical no less), you would likely have developed some actual context about how these ideas had horrible, horrible, horrible impacts to the world for thousands of years - right up to about 200 years ago. Instead, you blow the reality of this human cost off because its "old news" and move to a target that isn't you. Your religion was, until very recently historically speaking, every bit as bad and worse than the Islamic Jihadists of today.

I'll be first to step up and drill Islam in the face with the World's Worst Religion certificate and first prize of a pile of dog shit, but you are a christian - the close second in the world's worst religion contest. Don't get too tired patting yourself on the back that you are not the "worst" religion - its a fairly recent development.

Again, good job, nice diversion.

I didn't bring up the "African General" tangent, I merely responded to it.

I'm not denying that the Bible condone a genocide between ancient Israelites and ancient Canaanites because the Canaanites would syncrete their religion with that of the Israelites. How is it that you understood your professor to teach that somehow, that makes the Bible condone genocides "up to about 200 years ago" but not now...?