Genocide in the Bible

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4 Average
16-09-2013, 02:54 PM
RE: Genocide in the Bible
(16-09-2013 02:28 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  I’ll repeat myself since you are wandering way off this thread now: “Why do you think genocide is unethical?”

Ah, yes.

Not answering the question.

Again.

You know, you could just start an I pretend not to understand secular morality thread, and be done with it.

(16-09-2013 02:28 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  From whence do these rights derive? In the animal kingdom, predators look for unguarded eggs and young. Do the eggs of birds have inviolate rights, and so it is unethical for lizards to prey on them?

This has - let me check - nothing to do with the thread. Congratulations.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
16-09-2013, 04:04 PM
(16-09-2013 12:14 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
(03-09-2013 03:03 PM)Skippy538 Wrote:  Me: The killing of women and children who are unarmed and are not fighting in a war is absolutely wrong at all times and in all circumstances because it causes needless and excess destruction to human life that is not necessary to the aim of stopping the war.

PJ: God says the killing of women and children who are unarmed and are not fighting in a war is wrong most of the time and in many cirumstances except:
1. If god says its OK to the leader of the army
2. If its necessary to stop more bloodshed of our side
3. If the persona sinned bad, or kind of bad, or if they are a witch, or if they had sex before marriage, or any other reason listed in the bible.

Who has a stronger moral stand against genocide? Your god, or me? Who has an objective moral standard - e.g. applies in all times and in all circumstances? ME!

What was your excuse against the GENOCIDE - CONTEXT!???? So that means its not an objective moral standard, but it can vary and change from day to day based on how god feels right? You have a situationalist ethic at best, but you claim COMPLETE OBJECTIVE MORAL STANDARDS? I CALL BULLSHIT X 100. (I am not yelling, just trying to emphasize).

Not only didn't I say 1, 2 and 3, but I noticed you are employing subjective ethics here. I'm looking for your reasoning as to why genocide is wrong.

PS. If you say "it's self-evident that genocide is wrong" I can say "it's self-evidence god exists". I'm looking for your empirical evidence or inductive reasoning here.

Thanks.

How about a violation of human rights? Or how about murder? Or how about murdering innocents?

If it is not evident to you that genocide is evil, then you have no moral compass, not even a broken one.

You disgust me.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-09-2013, 10:19 PM
Hey I am with PleaseJesus on this, genocide is perfectly moral. I will list those whom I would kill if given the opportunity.

Crazed religious fundamentalists who would impose their nonsensical traditions on others.

Every third lawyer and judge chosen at random because they are all involved in a mostly corrupt system that adversely affects all.

Most bankers particularly those who gave themselves big bonuses while fucking up the economy.

Those who profit from the needs or despair of others, this list includes but is not limited to real estate agents (sorry sister in law), human traffickers in all their forms, drug dealers (ganja smokers need not be concerned here), dishonest auto mechanics, bad authors who produce books only because they know they can sell them. I could go on.

People who put others at risk by using cell phones or texting while driving. Bad drivers in general, how often did I wish that I had a magic disappearing gun in my car.

There are others who I could suggest but I think you get the point. Genocide is good you just have to be selective in who you chose to kill.

For once PleaseJesus is correct.
17-09-2013, 06:04 AM
(16-09-2013 10:19 PM)JAH Wrote:  Hey I am with PleaseJesus on this, genocide is perfectly moral. I will list those whom I would kill if given the opportunity.

Crazed religious fundamentalists who would impose their nonsensical traditions on others.

Every third lawyer and judge chosen at random because they are all involved in a mostly corrupt system that adversely affects all.

Most bankers particularly those who gave themselves big bonuses while fucking up the economy.

Those who profit from the needs or despair of others, this list includes but is not limited to real estate agents (sorry sister in law), human traffickers in all their forms, drug dealers (ganja smokers need not be concerned here), dishonest auto mechanics, bad authors who produce books only because they know they can sell them. I could go on.

People who put others at risk by using cell phones or texting while driving. Bad drivers in general, how often did I wish that I had a magic disappearing gun in my car.

There are others who I could suggest but I think you get the point. Genocide is good you just have to be selective in who you chose to kill.

For once PleaseJesus is correct.

None of those are genocide.

17-09-2013, 10:04 AM
Chas, you chose to be pissy about definitions ok. If one is to define mass murder of a group for their existence as genocide there is no problem with my post.

The killing of crazed religious fundamentalists does qualify under all the normal definitions of genocide.
17-09-2013, 10:25 AM
(17-09-2013 10:04 AM)JAH Wrote:  Chas, you chose to be pissy about definitions ok. If one is to define mass murder of a group for their existence as genocide there is no problem with my post.

The killing of crazed religious fundamentalists does qualify under all the normal definitions of genocide.

No.

Quote:The Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court
Article 6 of the Rome Statute provides that ‘genocide’ means any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such (a) Killing members of the group; (b) Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group; © Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part; (d) Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group; (e) Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.

17-09-2013, 10:34 AM
Chas, how does one politely tell you, "you are wrong".

This is silly I allowed that my other post played loosely with the standard definition of genocide, but the definition you have quoted includes the religious. The final sentence in my above post is absolutely correct.

You are not "terse and deadly" you are pedantic.
17-09-2013, 10:37 AM
(17-09-2013 10:34 AM)JAH Wrote:  Chas, how does one politely tell you, "you are wrong".

This is silly I allowed that my other post played loosely with the standard definition of genocide, but the definition you have quoted includes the religious. The final sentence in my above post is absolutely correct.

You are not "terse and deadly" you are pedantic.

No, I value precision.

"Fundamentalists" is not a religious group, it is many religious groups.

17-09-2013, 10:43 AM
As I said above pedantic.

A post made to provoke a christian zealot who asserts that genocide is not necessarily evil devolves into you complaining about my word use. Silly as I said above.
17-09-2013, 11:20 AM
(17-09-2013 10:43 AM)JAH Wrote:  As I said above pedantic.

A post made to provoke a christian zealot who asserts that genocide is not necessarily evil devolves into you complaining about my word use. Silly as I said above.

Your examples simply weren't examples of genocide, they were just murder.