Gentlemen and Whores.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-10-2014, 05:31 PM
RE: Gentlemen and Whores.
I have been trying to write a response but can't seem to get past the concept that if a man pays for sex it may keep him from committing a rape. Or that any time someone goes outside of a relationship for sex there are health and other risks involved - paid sex or not.

I am bumfuzzled.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
28-10-2014, 05:32 PM
(28-10-2014 05:07 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Is there a question in here somewhere? I like the post...dont get me wrong... Just not sure how to comment. Your post seems more narrative i guess.
I think my position is reasonably clear.
I have left it to the reader to extrapolate however they see fit....
28-10-2014, 05:34 PM
(28-10-2014 05:32 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(28-10-2014 05:07 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Is there a question in here somewhere? I like the post...dont get me wrong... Just not sure how to comment. Your post seems more narrative i guess.
I think my position is reasonably clear.

Prostitution is the root of all evil? Blink

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
28-10-2014, 05:37 PM
(28-10-2014 05:34 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(28-10-2014 05:32 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  I think my position is reasonably clear.

Prostitution is the root of all evil? Blink

Big Grin lol Ange, good play on words....................no I'm not saying that!
28-10-2014, 05:40 PM
(28-10-2014 05:30 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(28-10-2014 05:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  How about changing the thread title to "Scumbags and Ladies of the Night"?

Or "Johns and Sex Workers"? Or "Views on Prostitution"?

Or something less unequally referential?

The word "whore" in the title is in no way meant to be condemnatory.
Note I have placed gentlemen in quotation marks.

Not in the title, you didn't.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-10-2014, 05:59 PM
(28-10-2014 05:40 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-10-2014 05:30 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  The word "whore" in the title is in no way meant to be condemnatory.
Note I have placed gentlemen in quotation marks.

Not in the title, you didn't.

Why don't you just address the substance and stop your usual nit picking?
28-10-2014, 06:04 PM
(28-10-2014 04:35 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  It may have been more beneficial to have considered the one issue per se.
You could if you like relate to the issue of vehicle dangers as opposed to any
dangers inherent in prostitution in a new post, or deal with them both separately....

Not really. The point I was making is that prostitution, like almost every other human endeavor or activity, had it's benefits and drawbacks, and the drawbacks you present seem to me to be no worse than drawbacks seen elsewhere. We accept that in any situation that benefits us, there will be ways it harms us, too, even going back to the simplest things like clothing, tools, and fire. In order to be a 'problem', we need to decide that the risks and consequences of a behavior are extreme enough to make prohibition of the activity the best move. This has to take into account not just the activity itself, but the consequences of banning it.
Pretty much every negative you mentioned for prostitution exists whether prostitution is legal or not, but almost all of the benefits vanish. This makes it not at all clear that banning prostitution is the appropriate step. In order to decide, we'd need a lot of figures about expenses and use and the effects overall of the difference. Without numbers as a reference, we're just guessing and thinking up possible arguments (I am guilty of this, too) without any data. In such a situation, I'd need a far more compelling argument than what you've provided to interfere in the personal lives of other people.
28-10-2014, 06:13 PM
(28-10-2014 06:04 PM)OddGamer Wrote:  
(28-10-2014 04:35 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  It may have been more beneficial to have considered the one issue per se.
You could if you like relate to the issue of vehicle dangers as opposed to any
dangers inherent in prostitution in a new post, or deal with them both separately....

Not really. The point I was making is that prostitution, like almost every other human endeavor or activity, had it's benefits and drawbacks, and the drawbacks you present seem to me to be no worse than drawbacks seen elsewhere. We accept that in any situation that benefits us, there will be ways it harms us, too, even going back to the simplest things like clothing, tools, and fire. In order to be a 'problem', we need to decide that the risks and consequences of a behavior are extreme enough to make prohibition of the activity the best move. This has to take into account not just the activity itself, but the consequences of banning it.
Pretty much every negative you mentioned for prostitution exists whether prostitution is legal or not, but almost all of the benefits vanish. This makes it not at all clear that banning prostitution is the appropriate step. In order to decide, we'd need a lot of figures about expenses and use and the effects overall of the difference. Without numbers as a reference, we're just guessing and thinking up possible arguments (I am guilty of this, too) without any data. In such a situation, I'd need a far more compelling argument than what you've provided to interfere in the personal lives of other people.
I am not providing an argument.
People can just look at some sexual issues if they like and express their views.
Perhaps you could expand on any benefits you may see in legal prostitution as opposed to the down side.
I really don't see how the comparison with other problematic issues in life relate to problems with prostitution if you see such as existing.
28-10-2014, 06:34 PM
(28-10-2014 05:59 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(28-10-2014 05:40 PM)Chas Wrote:  Not in the title, you didn't.

Why don't you just address the substance and stop your usual nit picking?

I'm not nit-picking. I am pointing out that your thread title is ill-considered and shows what a dickhead you are.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
29-10-2014, 12:22 AM
As some of my very dear friends might say... "Girl can't eat grass!"

Also, reciprocity is a core human value.

It's not because I consider the lilies of the field that I own nothing and have no investments; it's because I don't believe in getting something for nothing.

Or to put it another way... a gentleman should never leave without paying!

Cool

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post