Geography questions?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-11-2015, 10:22 AM
Geography questions?
At what height does a hill become a mountain? When does a island become a continent.....like if Australia were smaller would it be an island? Is there a word for a very large island that isn't "island" but it's called something else?

At what size does a stream become a river?

Does a cliff need to be at a 90 degree angle or is like a 50 degree angle a cliff? What about 45 degrees?

Not a geography question but similar, at what size does a boat become a ship?

I've tried to google these questions but there doesn't seem to be a definite answer.

Ya know, this is one of the reasons I'm an atheist. I wonder about goofy stuff all the time.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like dancefortwo's post
18-11-2015, 10:34 AM
RE: Geography questions?
[Image: bed-Mind-Blown.jpg]

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 7 users Like Erxomai's post
18-11-2015, 10:52 AM
I usually think of a boat as something that could be transported on a ship. I don't think there are technically definite definitions for most of those things, unfortunately.

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
18-11-2015, 10:57 AM
Great questions!

I once tried to find the cutoff between a "small craft" and whatever is larger than a small craft because NOAA issues "small craft warnings".

Turns out not even the Coast Guard could give me an answer. The best I got was a small craft is any vessel that could sink in those conditions Hobo

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
18-11-2015, 11:02 AM
What's the difference between homemade bread and Artisan bread?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
18-11-2015, 11:52 AM
(18-11-2015 10:57 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Great questions!

I once tried to find the cutoff between a "small craft" and whatever is larger than a small craft because NOAA issues "small craft warnings".

Turns out not even the Coast Guard could give me an answer. The best I got was a small craft is any vessel that could sink in those conditions Hobo

We can fly to Mars but no one know what the difference is between a boat and a ship. Dang. Something's amiss here. Consider

To me a cliff is defined as a slope that's so steep if your wallet falls over it you don't go get it. It's a-gonner. If it's 50 degrees or less then I'm going down after my wallet. That's not a very scientific definition though, is it ?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
18-11-2015, 12:56 PM
(18-11-2015 10:22 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  At what height does a hill become a mountain? When does a island become a continent.....like if Australia were smaller would it be an island? Is there a word for a very large island that isn't "island" but it's called something else?

From Why Greenland is an island and Australia is a continent:
It turns out that there are no official conditions that each continent has to meet in order to be considered a continent, which explains why there are so many different models of thinking when it comes to how many continents there are. However, there are several largely accepted factors that classify different regions of the world as continents. These factors include tectonic independence from other continents, unique flora and fauna, cultural uniqueness, and local belief in continental status.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 2 users Like TurkeyBurner's post
18-11-2015, 12:58 PM
(18-11-2015 12:56 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  These factors include tectonic independence from other continents, unique flora and fauna, cultural uniqueness, and local belief in continental status.

"local belief in continental status" ?
Consider
Facepalm

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
18-11-2015, 01:03 PM
Overheard in a bar ---

"Dude -- no man is an island -- but if you keep scarfing that junk food you might just qualify as a continent"...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
18-11-2015, 01:09 PM
The answer to all of your questions is the same as what came before the "Big Bang"?

WE DON"T KNOW.

DJ

Live Better...Help Often....Wonder More