Geometry FTW

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-10-2013, 06:15 PM (This post was last modified: 30-10-2013 07:22 PM by houseofcantor.)
Geometry FTW
I remember a certain prophet going on about Pure Number once upon a time, and today I stumbled over this little gem...

https://www.simonsfoundation.org/quanta/...m-physics/

...makes me feel all prophetic and shit. No, not by predicting the future, but by sitting on my fat, lazy ass while real scientists and mathematicians do all the work for me. Big Grin

Peter Woit weighs in...

...and Lubos...

...oh, and for the nay-sayers in the crowd, (not mentioning any names, Logisch) know how I found this article? Obsessing over my Gwynnies. Big Grin

Yeah, that was like an hour of reading stuff I mostly don't understand. Dodgy

So what got me lit up?
[Image: image_zpsa1890e74.jpg]
Nima Arkani-Hamed - A sketch of the amplituhedron representing an 8-gluon particle interaction. Using Feynman diagrams, the same calculation would take roughly 500 pages of algebra.
Look it all the pretty 4s.

Dang Gwynnies. Heart

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
02-11-2013, 05:58 AM
RE: Geometry FTW
I must be built too close to the ground, this one went over my head (credit to Foghorn Leghorn)
Find all posts by this user
02-11-2013, 06:17 AM
Geometry FTW
Interesting. I know the mathematicians involved. I think they were already studying this positive
Grassmannian when they found this perhaps unexpected application in physics. This is often
what happens.
[+] 1 user Likes black_squirrel's post
02-11-2013, 06:29 AM
RE: Geometry FTW
(02-11-2013 05:58 AM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  I must be built too close to the ground, this one went over my head (credit to Foghorn Leghorn)

Fucken thing was geosynchronous to me.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".