George Michael died.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-12-2016, 03:11 PM
RE: George Michael died.
(25-12-2016 09:14 PM)KUSA Wrote:  That sucks. I can't believe he is gone.

This was his best song imo.

https://youtu.be/izGwDsrQ1eQ

Yep... agreed. A far higher class of music that the guy's sometimes sordid reputation would indicate. And session man Steve Gregory's saxophone riffs are the icing on the cake. Fun fact: Nine other sax players auditioned for the part.

And a nice remix here: http://tinyurl.com/zz9cre5 with a great atmospheric video.

RIP

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
26-12-2016, 09:30 PM
George Michael died.
(26-12-2016 12:25 PM)BnW Wrote:  
(25-12-2016 09:14 PM)KUSA Wrote:  This was his best song imo.

https://youtu.be/izGwDsrQ1eQ

Funny you think so.

When I was 15 or so, I got a job with one of the neighbors doing some data entry. The husband was an accountant and his wife offered me like $3/hour to do some data entry for him. I did it 2X a week in this office they had in their basement. I did this in the winter and the office was cold. Other than an old PC, there were 2 other things on that basement office: a small space heater that smelled of kerosene (and I'm lucky I didn't die down there) and an old radio that only got 1 station - a "light FM" station.

I listened to that station over and over and they played 5 songs over and over and Careless Whisper was one of them. Every time I hear this song I go into some kind of PTSD reaction to it, and start feeling like I'm suffocating on kerosene fumes. Can't stand the song.

For his best song, in my opinion, I'd go with this:

I'm sorry that you were subjected to kerosene fumes in the presence of this song. It robbed the joy and appreciation of careless whisper from you.
26-12-2016, 09:48 PM
If anything, the kerosene fumes made it manageable for me and enhanced the experience.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
26-12-2016, 11:40 PM
George Michael died.
(26-12-2016 09:48 PM)BnW Wrote:  If anything, the kerosene fumes made it manageable for me and enhanced the experience.

You need counseling.
[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post
27-12-2016, 04:24 PM
"It's a generation beginning to mourn its lost youth and also beginning to come to grips with its own mortality. It isn't that these Dead Pop Icons were exceptionally good, it's just that they were around back when life was still fun."

--Div. Scep

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
27-12-2016, 06:25 PM
(27-12-2016 04:24 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  "It's a generation beginning to mourn its lost youth and also beginning to come to grips with its own mortality. It isn't that these Dead Pop Icons were exceptionally good, it's just that they were around back when life was still fun."

--Div. Step

Yes and no. More no than yes.

I was talking about this with my son, who is 19, yesterday when trying to explain why I felt a pop of "Oh, no, that's awful" when I heard about George Michael's death. I think it's more complicated than simply mourning lost youth/mortality. Many people who were young adults in the '80s and '90s have many specific memories evoked by his songs, not just a feeling of being younger, and so some of the sense of loss is due to those links to dances and the beach and the radio, etc. It's not just, this guy's my age and he died, although there's certainly something of that in the response. I agree the many of the songs are not destined for immortality, although they are elevated by the vocal performance--he was a hell of a singer. I love Careless Whisper and a later GM song, Father Figure, and I don't care if they're "great" songs or not. But there's a long list of pop stars from the 80s and 90s that I don't believe I would care about, even though I have memories attached to their songs, too. For example: Duran Duran. So there's something extra, indefinable and personal, certainly, about the stars and songs that make me sad, years later, when their makers die.

My son listened patiently to me. Then, sadly, Carrie Fisher died, and my son looked as though he'd been punched in the gut when he heard the news. I'm very sad about Carrie Fisher, too, for an entirely different set of reasons. We attach and we don't always know why.

Off to listen to Father Figure.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
27-12-2016, 08:27 PM
(26-12-2016 11:40 PM)KUSA Wrote:  
(26-12-2016 09:48 PM)BnW Wrote:  If anything, the kerosene fumes made it manageable for me and enhanced the experience.

You need counseling.

I do need counseling. Memories of Careless Whisper make me want to kill and maim people.

27-12-2016, 08:41 PM
(27-12-2016 08:27 PM)BnW Wrote:  I do need counseling. Memories of Careless Whisper make me want to kill and maim people.

I recall playing this as a slow jazz ballad with a great vocalist. It was terrific.

Often the song outweighs the production.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
27-12-2016, 09:20 PM
Often the song outweighs the production.

I'm not sure exactly what that means, but if it means that different artists and different interpretations can change how you view a song, then I completely agree. I can't stand the George Michael version of Careless Whisper pretty much for the reason I gave - I spent a period of my teenage years working in a cold basement with a radio that played 5 songs over and over and that was one of them. Of the 5 songs, the only one that doesn't make me reflexively gag when I hear it is Phil Collins' Against all odds. But, if I hear I Want To Know What Love Is by Foreigner, I'm likely to have a seizure. It's very much the circumstances.

For years, I hated the song "Nothing Compares 2 U". Then I discovered this version and I fell in love with it and realized what a great song it actually is. Turns out it's just Sinead O'Connor I can't stand.

It's funny how an artist and a version can completely change a song for you, how you appreciate it, and even what it means to you. And then there are some songs that work no matter who sings them. Little Wing fits that bill for me. No matter what version I hear - the Jimi Hendrix version, the Stevie Ray Vaughn instrumental version, the Sting version, even the Pearl Jam version - the song just works.

Btw, other than the Hendrix version, which is iconic, I the Pearl Jam version is my favorite, specifically the one from The Gorge recording from July 23, 2006, which I prefer to the one I posted. But, this version is good too. Anyway, it's a song that just works, period.

[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
28-12-2016, 02:56 AM
Oh sorry mate.

What I mean is this: The sounds in vogue at the time, mixing methods, tracking etc etc etc.

At the end of the day, the song itself is good. Look at its success. You can't argue with success.

Yes did a progressive rock version of America, by Simon and Garfunkel. It remains to this day since 1971, the best version of that song, a good song, I've ever heard.

Forgive me but I often fall into "musician speak". My entire social set is musicians.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.