Germ Theory

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-11-2015, 09:21 PM
Germ Theory
"Well, if germ theory were true, no one would be alive to believe it."

This was posted on Facebook by one of my science denialist friends. I don't know enough about their claims to know how to respond (something about germ theory vs. terrain theory). I just know that the quote above there sounds like something someone duped by pseudoscience would say. Then again maybe not. Maybe it's legit. What do I know?

How do you respond to this?

My blog
[Image: communion_zpslrzvgcuh.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like WalkingSnake's post
21-11-2015, 09:45 PM
RE: Germ Theory
Just like the atomic and evolutionary variants, a theory simple provides a mechanism for a given phenomenon. In the case of germs, the mechanism is microorganisms. Your friend is pretty much saying such microorganisms don't exist. Science disagrees.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-11-2015, 09:54 PM
(21-11-2015 09:21 PM)WalkingSnake Wrote:  "Well, if germ theory were true, no one would be alive to believe it."

This was posted on Facebook by one of my science denialist friends. I don't know enough about their claims to know how to respond (something about germ theory vs. terrain theory). I just know that the quote above there sounds like something someone duped by pseudoscience would say. Then again maybe not. Maybe it's legit. What do I know?

I think they have evoked their right to any sort of medical care that does not involve investing acids to balance ph.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
21-11-2015, 10:19 PM
(21-11-2015 09:45 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Just like the atomic and evolutionary variants, a theory simple provides a mechanism for a given phenomenon. In the case of germs, the mechanism is microorganisms. Your friend is pretty much saying such microorganisms don't exist. Science disagrees.

P.s. ask your friend if they get flu shots, and if they do, remind them how such vaccines are derived from the virus.
21-11-2015, 10:24 PM
(21-11-2015 10:19 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(21-11-2015 09:45 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Just like the atomic and evolutionary variants, a theory simple provides a mechanism for a given phenomenon. In the case of germs, the mechanism is microorganisms. Your friend is pretty much saying such microorganisms don't exist. Science disagrees.

P.s. ask your friend if they get flu shots, and if they do, remind them how such vaccines are derived from the virus.

Oh no this girl's out there. She's antivax, homeopath, germ theory denialist, and she thinks scientists found proof Nephilim existed and are lying about it.

My blog
[Image: communion_zpslrzvgcuh.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes WalkingSnake's post
21-11-2015, 10:30 PM
(21-11-2015 10:24 PM)WalkingSnake Wrote:  
(21-11-2015 10:19 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  P.s. ask your friend if they get flu shots, and if they do, remind them how such vaccines are derived from the virus.

Oh no this girl's out there. She's antivax, homeopath, germ theory denialist, and she thinks scientists found proof Nephilim existed and are lying about it.

Then I see no point in debating with her. No amount of evidence is going to change her mind.
[+] 5 users Like ghostexorcist's post
22-11-2015, 04:20 AM
(21-11-2015 09:21 PM)WalkingSnake Wrote:  "Well, if germ theory were true, no one would be alive to believe it."

In a loud, clear voice you shout "You are an idiot!"

Sapere aude
[+] 2 users Like f stop's post
22-11-2015, 04:29 AM
Does she wash her hands after she wipes her arse?

and / or before she eats?

I'm guessing not, because Jesus didn't either.

Dodgy

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
22-11-2015, 05:44 AM
If you want to truly discuss it with her, start with asking her what exactly does she mean by "germ theory". I doubt it'll be the standard theory.

But if she is really that far out and you value your sanity, I'd advice against pushing it further.

[Image: 004.sig]
22-11-2015, 07:14 AM
She could test this idea by licking the floor of a public restroom on a routine basis, she could report back the results after a few months- if she's still able to.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 4 users Like TheInquisition's post