Germany what are you even up too?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-07-2017, 11:15 AM
RE: Germany what are you even up too?
(05-07-2017 10:19 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  Who decides what constitutes hate speech and fake news? I find the religiously-sanctioned advocacy of genital mutilation, science denial, and repression of women to be hateful; I find revelations about achieving an afterlife through Jesus to be fake news.

Each country with hate speech laws provide their own definition of hate speech. Most hate speech laws in the Western world share very similar definition though. Their application may vary depending on each jurisprudence or cultural specificities. Most of them define themselvesThis little wikipedia article is a good introduction to german status on hate speech.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volksverhetzung

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2017, 06:59 AM
(04-07-2017 06:19 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  So, Germany has passed a law that states that all social media sites, facebooks, youtubes, twitters etc.. must take down all 'hate speech' (and 'fake news') within 24 hours and on the fence 'hate speech' within 7 days or be fined 5 million Euros, increasing to 50 million if they continue to fail to do so.

Sauce
Sauce
Sauce
Sauce

What is with Germany and limiting free speech? Seriously.
The idea of free speech is that everyone gets it. Holocaust deniers, 9/11 'truthers', WBBC, KKK, vegans. Obviously, these are all really bad things to someone with half a brain, but the fact remains that those people have the right to believe those things and talk about it. That's the whole purpose of freedom of speech. If you're shutting down someone's freedom of speech just because you don't like it that's censorship.

Working in exactly this field, on the social media side of this, and me believing in free speech so deeply, I agree with what you say.
But fact is, most countries have no free speech.
Free speech is always either limited by law (like in Germany, France, India, Australia, etc) or it is limited by society where you will face grave consequences for what you say.
So yea...

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
06-07-2017, 07:04 AM
(06-07-2017 06:59 AM)Leerob Wrote:  Working in exactly this field, on the social media side of this, and me believing in free speech so deeply, I agree with what you say.

That's why it's called freedom of expression rather than free speech. But it's easy to stay within the legal boundaries. Hardly anyone feels the need to make a public statement inciting to violence or murder even.

You can say what you will about anyone, any politician, any party, as long as you don't single out individuals or groups, incitng violent action against them.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like abaris's post
06-07-2017, 05:05 PM
(06-07-2017 07:04 AM)abaris Wrote:  
(06-07-2017 06:59 AM)Leerob Wrote:  Working in exactly this field, on the social media side of this, and me believing in free speech so deeply, I agree with what you say.

That's why it's called freedom of expression rather than free speech. But it's easy to stay within the legal boundaries. Hardly anyone feels the need to make a public statement inciting to violence or murder even.

You can say what you will about anyone, any politician, any party, as long as you don't single out individuals or groups, incitng violent action against them.

Fair enough.
You are correct that most people can easily stay reasonably acceptable, even if they dislike somebody or a group. Sadly not all can, and that is why my job even exists.
*deleting big text in order to not derail because I could hold huge monologues about this topic*

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
06-07-2017, 09:59 PM
I think that after you get past the whole 'being Nazis' bit, it's understandable how a whole country can be a bit apprehensive on the potential power of words, given the history of destruction they've caused with them.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post