"Get Over Christianity by Understanding It"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-04-2015, 03:05 AM
"Get Over Christianity by Understanding It"
Well folks, I’ve finally done it. After threatening to publish my book over the last few years it’s now out there. One month ago I launched it on Amazon.

I’m feeling a little dejected. I’ve sold only 17 copies, and two of those were to my mother (LOL.) The reality of selling something new if you are an unknown author is becoming real to me. There will be an advertising campaign, so I’m still hoping to make a bit of a splash with it. Here is the video trailer to the book…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKjTaFWwR5w

Let me tell you about my book.

It has taken eight years to research and write. I discuss the history of the beginnings of Christianity and then go on to consider the relevance of Christianity in today’s world.

Is it any good? Well…I think it is bloody brilliant, but I wrote it, so I would say that. I honestly don’t know how most people will regard it. It is very hard to objectively judge your own work, particularly when one has become intimately familiar with it. I can tell you I have had independent editors who really like it. Yet…my brother thinks it is shit, my mum thinks it is fantastic.

I can tell you, honestly, that there has been an estimated 15,000 hours of work put into it. Every sentence has been agonized over and changed multiple times. It is as good as I can make it without letting myself go crazy with revisions.

I doubt it is a book that will impress the academic world. It has not been peer-reviewed. The main peers for this book have been you…the thinking atheist forum. I’ve put many of my ideas in the book on this forum over the last few years, and many of you have helped me formulate my opinions. The book contains many facts sourced from academics, and I have assimilated them. So perhaps it doesn’t matter too much that it is not peer reviewed.

I promise that if you read my book you will be rewarded with many unique views about the history. I also believe that I have put the pieces of a rather prodigious puzzle together into a coherent story that makes sense. You may not agree with everything that I write, but you will certainly expand your knowledge if you digest my ideas.

Here is a brief summary of some of my main conclusions…

Judaism was invented to provide a whole class of people, the priests, with a job and an income. Yahweh doesn’t exist. “He” is a fictitious immoral bully used to frighten simple people.

Christianity was invented by the Roman government to suppress militaristic Jews. St Paul, the inventor of Christian theology, was a charlatan. Jesus, if he ever existed, was a fundamentalist Jew who tried to wage a war against Rome and lost. The gospel authors invented the gospels as propaganda to undermine trouble causing Jews. Thus the whole basis of Christianity is fabricated nonsense.

Churches have behaved atrociously over the centuries. Biblical teachings are immoral. Churches today are big businesses riding the gravy train. The world would be a better place if Christianity disappeared.

We all need to recognize the beauty and power of our inner selves and our own opinions, and not look to priests, churches or gurus for answers.

My book has about 1000 links to good youtube documentaries and other articles. It is therefore a fabulous resource, particularly if you get it as an e-book.

If only one person buys a copy of my book due to this spiel you will make a sad opinionated bastard happy.

Check out the book at
http://www.amazon.com/Over-Christianity-...hristianit

You can also enjoy my posts at http://www.markfulton.org

Goodnight men and women of the forum. Any opinions, including criticisms, gratefully accepted.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like Mark Fulton's post
21-04-2015, 05:33 AM
RE: "Get Over Christianity by Understanding It"
Congratulations on your book! I got a copy.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
21-04-2015, 08:21 AM
(21-04-2015 03:05 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  If only one person buys a copy of my book due to this spiel you will make a sad opinionated bastard happy.
Then be happy. One Kindle edition sold.

I seriously doubt you are a pathetic sad sack though.

I have three books to my name, all technical titles, two as lead author and one as coauthor, and all thoroughly dated and useless as they were published in the early 1990s. Your topic matter will last way longer than mine did. But at any rate I understand what it is to toil over a book and then have it read by a handful of people (in information technology, a runaway bestseller is 20K copies).

I remember a professor at a midwestern private college writing to tell me he was using one of my books as a textbook, which was both gratifying and humbling. Maybe some History of Religion adjunct professor at Bumfuck Regional Community College will take a shine to your book too ;-) It's all good. If it opens one mind it's worth it.

The other thing that happens with a traditional publisher is your book goes through some random chutes and ladders arrangement and gets selected for translation and marketing in other countries. People perceive this as that your book was something special but the truth is far more prosaic. My book was translated into Portuguese and Romanian. Romanian. Whatev ...

The biggest lesson I learned was that publishers really do very little to market your book. It is "frontlisted" at first which just means it shows up in their catalog and hopefully bookstores include it in their orders. That's it. After a short time other, newer books push it off the shelves. So the fact I had limited willingness to go the travel and speaking and self-promotion route, limited my exposure a lot. In other words you're not really missing much by self-publishing, especially in today's world when everyone thinks they can write effectively and you get lost in the noise.

If you have any opportunities to present or speak somewhere as "the author of Get Over Christianity by Understanding It", though, don't underestimate the value of that exposure and try to take advantage of it.
21-04-2015, 02:31 PM (This post was last modified: 21-04-2015 03:27 PM by Mark Fulton.)
(21-04-2015 05:33 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Congratulations on your book! I got a copy.

Thanks! You will like it.
21-04-2015, 02:35 PM
(21-04-2015 08:21 AM)mordant Wrote:  
(21-04-2015 03:05 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  If only one person buys a copy of my book due to this spiel you will make a sad opinionated bastard happy.
Then be happy. One Kindle edition sold.

I seriously doubt you are a pathetic sad sack though.

I have three books to my name, all technical titles, two as lead author and one as coauthor, and all thoroughly dated and useless as they were published in the early 1990s. Your topic matter will last way longer than mine did. But at any rate I understand what it is to toil over a book and then have it read by a handful of people (in information technology, a runaway bestseller is 20K copies).

I remember a professor at a midwestern private college writing to tell me he was using one of my books as a textbook, which was both gratifying and humbling. Maybe some History of Religion adjunct professor at Bumfuck Regional Community College will take a shine to your book too ;-) It's all good. If it opens one mind it's worth it.

The other thing that happens with a traditional publisher is your book goes through some random chutes and ladders arrangement and gets selected for translation and marketing in other countries. People perceive this as that your book was something special but the truth is far more prosaic. My book was translated into Portuguese and Romanian. Romanian. Whatev ...

The biggest lesson I learned was that publishers really do very little to market your book. It is "frontlisted" at first which just means it shows up in their catalog and hopefully bookstores include it in their orders. That's it. After a short time other, newer books push it off the shelves. So the fact I had limited willingness to go the travel and speaking and self-promotion route, limited my exposure a lot. In other words you're not really missing much by self-publishing, especially in today's world when everyone thinks they can write effectively and you get lost in the noise.

If you have any opportunities to present or speak somewhere as "the author of Get Over Christianity by Understanding It", though, don't underestimate the value of that exposure and try to take advantage of it.

You're right, I'm fine.

I worked out I didn't need a traditional publisher, so I didn't bother trying to get one. I will try to do a local launch, and will put some posts on some websites. Thanks for sharing your story.
22-04-2015, 01:48 AM
very enjoyable read

The nice thing make has botherd to make his book very readable
So please bother to buy a copy as it is well worth the time to read
[+] 1 user Likes PigMonkeyandFrog's post
22-04-2015, 03:10 AM
Mark, in my time here at TTA, I've come to regard you as something of an authority when it comes to biblical matters. I respect you a great deal.

I recently finished my first book and preparing to let friends read it for the first time. I can't imagine the pain staking hours you've put in over 8 years, when my book only took me 8 months. Of course, mine is fiction, so not a whole lot of fact checking involved.

I'm sure your book is wonderful and all that remains is a marketing campaign to get it out there in the public eye.

I wish you good luck from one author to another.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
22-04-2015, 09:03 AM
(21-04-2015 03:05 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Well folks, I’ve finally done it. After threatening to publish my book over the last few years it’s now out there. One month ago I launched it on Amazon.

Great, Mark! We could use another atheist propagandist affirming the ignorance of the confused masses for a prophet, er profit on a book selling tour. Very original.
22-04-2015, 09:14 AM
(22-04-2015 09:03 AM)The Theist Wrote:  
(21-04-2015 03:05 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Well folks, I’ve finally done it. After threatening to publish my book over the last few years it’s now out there. One month ago I launched it on Amazon.

Great, Mark! We could use another atheist propagandist affirming the ignorance of the confused masses for a prophet, er profit on a book selling tour. Very original.

Indeed.

What we really need is more self-aggrandized, condescending religious charlatans.
After all, the people are hardly going to bilk themselves, now are they? For God, of course.

Oh, and do keep up the good work; maybe some day you will reach kindergarten-level snark. You just have to keep on trying, just like that little engine; he could and so can you.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 3 users Like Free Thought's post
22-04-2015, 09:27 AM
When non-historians, attempt to write a work on it, particularly one that attempts to derail the views of the establishment, these works tend to be about as good as a local creationist fare. Riddled with a serious of unsubstantiated conspiracy theories, and explanations woven whole cloth from nothing other than the author's imagination.

There's too much tripe written about Christian History, that would lead anyone skeptical in believing you have anything valid to say, let alone investing their hard earned money to actually reading it.
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post