Get Over Yourself - You're Not That Special

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2014, 01:39 PM
Get Over Yourself - You're Not That Special
Seriously, creationists need to get over this idea that the universe was specifically created just for us. The truth is, we aren't jack shit in the scheme of the universe. If we were to gather every grain of sand on Earth, our planet would not represent a single grain of sand among all the other stars and planets in the universe. If the sun blows up tomorrow and blows our planet to bits, it won't mean a damn thing to the rest of the universe.

The religious attitude is that when life on Earth ends, the universe ends with it, and that is pure bullshit. The universe doesn't depend on us for anything. When the sun does burn out and life on Earth ends, the rest of the universe will still go on without us. We'll probably die out long before that happens anyway, with the way that we carelessly destroy our planet. Of course, when all the warnings scientists have issued for decades now about things like global warming, overpopulation, and depletion of natural resources comes to a head (and it will!), the idiots who ignored all of it will just say it's God's wrath.

We're one planet that is incredibly insignificant in our galaxy alone, let alone the other hundreds of billions of galaxies in the universe. The whole notion that a God created this entire universe with our little pissant planet being his only concern is incredibly arrogant.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-02-2014, 01:49 PM
RE: Get Over Yourself - You're Not That Special
Well said. Couldn't agree more.
If there's one thing I've never understood about religious people, it's their arrogance that we are somehow 'special' in the universe.
That and the fact that we couldn't possibly be related to apes: they're animals and we're not!
It pisses me off royally.
[+] 2 users Like englishrose's post
16-02-2014, 01:58 PM
And you should get some self esteem because you keep repeating "we don't mean jack shit in the universe" 100 times a day.
16-02-2014, 01:59 PM
Exactly. I love the thought of how we are so insignificant, yet so significant.

It is as if in a place of complete randomness and chaos, our planet found a way to sustain life. The significance of that is beyond comprehension, to us...

To everything else, we are nothing, and that truly is humbling.

People need to get off their high horse when they conjure up a god to make themselves feel like they are ants that need to surrender themselves to something so "special."

Our universes beauty; the unimaginable luck for our existence to even sit back here and remark at how beautiful everything is, is far more special than any human god could ever hope to try to make any more better than what is.

It is as if people are not content with the beauty that there is, so they try to make up something "better", as if it can be!

Everyday is judgement day. Use your judgement, use reason.
[+] 1 user Likes Freethought's post
16-02-2014, 02:03 PM
I agree. No doubt the religious folk will point out that reason the universe is so large is to show how powerful god is etc.... or some such nonsense. It will be interesting to see what argument they will have if life is found elsewhere in the solar system or further afield.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
16-02-2014, 02:05 PM
(16-02-2014 01:59 PM)Freethought Wrote:  Exactly. I love the thought of how we are so insignificant, yet so significant.

It is as if in a place of complete randomness and chaos, our planet found a way to sustain life. The significance of that is beyond comprehension, to us...

To everything else, we are nothing, and that truly is humbling.

People need to get off their high horse when they conjure up a god to make themselves feel like they are ants that need to surrender themselves to something so "special."

Our universes beauty; the unimaginable luck for our existence to even sit back here and remark at how beautiful everything is, is far more special than any human god could ever hope to try to make any more better than what is.

It is as if people are not content with the beauty that there is, so they try to make up something "better", as if it can be!

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 3 users Like Logisch's post
16-02-2014, 02:05 PM
I know a Christian who doesn't think God just made the one planet and then made the universe for decoration. They think God made other planets with life on them. He just decided he didn't feel like telling us yet.

Yeah. Dodgy
[+] 2 users Like CleverUsername's post
16-02-2014, 02:24 PM (This post was last modified: 17-02-2014 09:05 AM by WindyCityJazz.)
(16-02-2014 01:58 PM)donotwant Wrote:  And you should get some self esteem because you keep repeating "we don't mean jack shit in the universe" 100 times a day.

You should get off your period. Yeah, the fact that I have mentioned it before in a previous post means I say it "100 times a day".It's not called a lack of self-esteem, it's called being realistic and not acting like an arrogant prick. Does the idea that a God didn't create the universe just for you depress you? That's certainly the way your comment comes across.

I guess the fact that I don't feel that my culture is superior to that of any other person on this planet is also an example of my lack of self-esteem. Thank you so much for pointing that out! I shouldn't feel that I'm not special on this planet! I should feel like I'm the most special thing in all of the universe! Thank you so much for helping my self-esteem! All I needed to do to pick myself up was to accept my superiority, and it's all thanks to you! Smartass

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
16-02-2014, 02:29 PM
(16-02-2014 02:24 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  
(16-02-2014 01:58 PM)donotwant Wrote:  And you should get some self esteem because you keep repeating "we don't mean jack shit in the universe" 100 times a day.

You should get off your period. Yeah, the fact that I have mentioned it before in a previous post means I say it "100 times a day".It's not called a lack of self-esteem, it's called being realistic and not acting like an arrogant prick. Does the idea that a God didn't create the universe just for you depress you? That's certainly the way your comment comes across.

I think some people take offense to it and perhaps "don't get it" - when I say that... what I mean is that when many people say we aren't special in the universe, it's from a point of intrinsic purpose. We are still the only life we know of, the only part of the universe that as far as we know is conscious.

I mean let's also look at the facts that if the entire universe is all composed of the same matter, that in a literal way, we are the universe itself being able to understand itself. That does not necessarily imply intrinsic purpose, but it does make us unique (as far as we know).

I think some people don't understand those implications, and take offense when we say we aren't intrinsically given a purpose. It makes them not feel special. But at the same time, life itself is pretty special.

More of a fun question: Does the universe care about our existence? We're made of the same matter and energy as the rest of the universe. The answer to that question lies in how we answer it. We are the universe. Even from a scientific perspective Wink

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
16-02-2014, 03:39 PM (This post was last modified: 16-02-2014 06:45 PM by GirlyMan.)
Reach out and touch faith, fuckers. But for God's sake dont embrace it.

Lift up the receiver I'll make you a beiever you know I will deliver you know I'm a forgiver ... Reach out and touch faith.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post