Get a load of this crap

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2015, 01:31 AM
Get a load of this crap
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle...story.html

Quote:Several people in the channel’s fact-checking department, for example, were terminated on Tuesday, employees said.

Rupert Murdoch buys National Geographic, immediately lays off the fact checking dept. Coincidence? I think not.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
05-11-2015, 01:42 AM
RE: Get a load of this crap
As I posted on another forum.

I really fail to see what Citizen Murdoch hopes now to achieve.

He has a brand name that pretty much no one will now actually buy, since the reason for their purchases is obviously disappearing.

I am... curious to watch further developments.

I am immensely saddened to see such an institution... vanish. Sad
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
05-11-2015, 02:33 AM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2015 02:38 AM by GenesisNemesis.)
Only thing is it doesn't say how many people were in the fact checking department or how important their positions were.
[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
05-11-2015, 02:41 AM
"In addition to the layoffs and buyouts, the National Geographic Society said it would freeze its pension plan for eligible employees, eliminate medical coverage for future retirees and change its contributions to an employee 401(k) plan so that all employees receive the same percentage contribution."

So, let me get this straight, They fired 9% of its workforce, Froze everyones pension plans so no one could retire as a form of going on strike, is no longer providing medical coverage for anyone and is cutting everyones 401k's so they don't have to do shit for their employees?

What a fucking monster this guy is.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
05-11-2015, 03:17 AM
Growing up, NG was a monthly education. Our household had a subscription, which I read avidly, in addition to my own subscription to NG's World magazine for youngsters.

It breaks my heart to see this twatwaffle go to work on what, in my youth, was a fair go-between bridging formal science publication and informal journalism.
[+] 8 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
05-11-2015, 09:20 AM
So many of my childhood memories are tied to NatGeo, from the magazine taking you through colorful, insightful pictures to exotic locations around the world to watching on TV as Louis and Mary Leaky hunted through Olduvai Gorge for early hominid fossils. Those images are a part of who I am.
[+] 1 user Likes Iñigo's post
05-11-2015, 09:28 AM
They are firing ~200 people, some from the rack checking department, not all the people from the fact checking department, it ain't the end of the world :eyeroll:

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
05-11-2015, 09:29 AM
(05-11-2015 01:31 AM)morondog Wrote:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle...story.html

Quote:Several people in the channel’s fact-checking department, for example, were terminated on Tuesday, employees said.

Rupert Murdoch buys National Geographic, immediately lays off the fact checking dept. Coincidence? I think not.

Who needs pesky facts? Drinking Beverage

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
05-11-2015, 06:41 PM
I dropped my subscription to the Wall Street Journal a few years ago when Murdoch bought it because I thought it became unreliable. It was. I expect my subscription to National Geographic will go down the tube too. However, I will wait to see if it actually does become unreliable. I have a strong science background [physics] and I suspect I will be able to tell. My son has a masters in anthropology and if he starts bitching about National Geographic, I will know for sure it's time to dump it. Big Grin
[+] 4 users Like Black Eagle's post
05-11-2015, 11:15 PM
Their TV channel was already shit. Now the magazine will follow it down the poop chute. Drinking Beverage

Sad.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post