http://elections.nytimes.com/2012/primar...sin-recall

Under Repair.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2012, 09:48 AM
RE: Get the Cyanide Tablets.
Jesus, it's not that bad, is it?

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
06-06-2012, 02:35 PM
I was about half serious on the tablet thing, but many of the better teachers at my school are probably going to look for different work. This leads to kids not being taught correctly(so they retain what they learn) and ultimately becoming less intelligent. Wisconsin has been one of the leading states in terms of quality education. This will probably change when Walker cuts School Funding even more than he already has.

Under Repair.
[+] 1 user Likes itsacow's post
13-06-2012, 02:24 PM
The teachers have it very good here in the midwest. There is no job that offers the same pay/benefits that "we" have now.
$80,000 a year with 15 weeks vacation and work about 30 hours a week. Retirement benefits are insanely awesome. I can't list all of the additional perks, but their great. It's a great life. I wish it on everyone.
Walker didn't just win, he won by 7%. That's a slam down.
We disrespected the people paying the bills. Eventually everyone is held accountable.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
13-06-2012, 09:09 PM
(13-06-2012 02:24 PM)Thomas Wrote:  The teachers have it very good here in the midwest. There is no job that offers the same pay/benefits that "we" have now.
$80,000 a year with 15 weeks vacation and work about 30 hours a week. Retirement benefits are insanely awesome. I can't list all of the additional perks, but their great. It's a great life. I wish it on everyone.
We disrespected the people paying the bills. Eventually everyone is held accountable.
$80,000! for a teacher!?

Wanna know how much teachers get paid here?
$35-40,000. That's about $45-50,000 US.
Which one could then argue that it forces those who truly have a passion for teaching to become teachers rather then just those after the money.

aka, toughen up.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
14-06-2012, 06:17 AM
(13-06-2012 02:24 PM)Thomas Wrote:  The teachers have it very good here in the midwest. There is no job that offers the same pay/benefits that "we" have now.
Do you really believe that teachers work 30 hrs/week? No, they work many more hours than that; when do you think they do lesson plans, grade papers and tests, and so on?

Winning by a 7% margin is a slam down? I think not.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-06-2012, 10:07 AM (This post was last modified: 14-06-2012 03:00 PM by TrulyX.)
(13-06-2012 02:24 PM)Thomas Wrote:  $80,000 a year

Is that an overall average, or is that just where you live?

When I talked to my HS teachers it was like $55,000 and that was the top of the salaries. Starting they said they were in the $30,000 range and moved their way up to the $50,000 range based on educational levels and how long they worked there.

Actually here is a stat:

Quote:Looking at all Ohio public-school teachers, the average salary increased about 12 percent, reaching $56,715 for the 2010-11 school year.

Here is a link per state, and they are all showing around 45-55,000 with starting around 30.

http://www.teacherportal.com/teacher-salaries-by-state

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
[+] 2 users Like TrulyX's post
15-06-2012, 04:33 PM
Teachers salaries are public information. Google it. Some HS coaches make over $250,000.
The average salary at my college is $79,600. Some make $110,00 or bettter base pay.
If we work overflow classes (more than 5 classes in a semester), additionally $3,400 per class.
I'm doing 4 summer classes. No classes on Fridays for me ever.
I have my classes down. Lectures are all PowerPoint, Scan sheets for MC tests. 30 hours max.
Also, we get $4,500 to travel to siminiars on our off-time. Edicational enhancement!!!!
Become a teacher. You'll love it. There is no better reward than teaching young people.
The last ime there was an opening we had over 150 applications. So you'll need to start part-time to get experience to have a shot.
...and yes, a 7 point win for Walker was significant. Look at the reaction around the country. The green light for other Republican governors to attack the salaries and benefits of state teachers is on. I'm in IL. No danger for me. This is a Democratic stronghold. I feel bad for the rest, but I'm not going to pretend like I don't have it good. I do.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
18-06-2012, 04:53 PM
(15-06-2012 04:33 PM)Thomas Wrote:  Teachers salaries are public information. Google it. Some HS coaches make over $250,000.
The average salary at my college is $79,600. Some make $110,00 or bettter base pay.
If we work overflow classes (more than 5 classes in a semester), additionally $3,400 per class.
I'm doing 4 summer classes. No classes on Fridays for me ever.
I have my classes down. Lectures are all PowerPoint, Scan sheets for MC tests. 30 hours max.
Also, we get $4,500 to travel to siminiars on our off-time. Edicational enhancement!!!!
Become a teacher. You'll love it. There is no better reward than teaching young people.
The last ime there was an opening we had over 150 applications. So you'll need to start part-time to get experience to have a shot.
...and yes, a 7 point win for Walker was significant. Look at the reaction around the country. The green light for other Republican governors to attack the salaries and benefits of state teachers is on. I'm in IL. No danger for me. This is a Democratic stronghold. I feel bad for the rest, but I'm not going to pretend like I don't have it good. I do.
I honestly would like to see some references for these claimed figures. As the son, grandson and nephew of teachers I can tell you NONE of those claims apply to them. Try cutting the salary in half, and I don't think 30 hours NEARLY covers it. I honestly cannot believe this without legitimate documents backing this up because it is so far far away from what I am used to seeing. I'm not trying to attack you or your reputation sir, just understand that if you do have all these benefits you are definitely the exception and not the rule. Again, not a personal attack it just is honestly so far off from every teacher I have ever known.

EDIT: I just noticed you were referencing a college. Is this private or public education? Please understand that K-12 public education does not reflect the statistics that you have referenced at all.

"A man who dares waste an hour of his life has not discovered the value of life." - Charles Darwin
18-06-2012, 05:03 PM
Dang, Thomas, where do you live? Kansas teachers start around $30K. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein