Get yer damn flu shot!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2013, 05:27 PM
RE: Get yer damn flu shot!
Are there no worries of shortages anymore? I remember a few years back people were worried about not having enough to go around. I always avoided it because I figured I'm young and healthy with no kids. I can handle the flu, why not let those who need it have it. If it's not an issue anymore, I just may get one!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-12-2013, 05:29 PM
Quite a few people don't even know what the flu and its symptoms are. Hint: vomiting and diarrhea are NOT symptoms of influenza.
13-12-2013, 05:31 PM
(13-12-2013 05:27 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Are there no worries of shortages anymore? I remember a few years back people were worried about not having enough to go around. I always avoided it because I figured I'm young and healthy with no kids. I can handle the flu, why not let those who need it have it. If it's not an issue anymore, I just may get one!

I think the shortages were due to a new strain that was popping up that was particularly virulent, and they started making vaccinations for it later than usual.

Hell, there is even evidence that the flu shot reduces risk of heart attack and stroke.

Go get it! =)

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/flu-s...1310236795
[+] 1 user Likes jaguar3030's post
13-12-2013, 05:45 PM
Got mine in October when I had my annual physical. Didn't get flu shots till 2009 when they didn't want the flu to postpone my surgery...I just kept doing it every year since. No flu for me but last year my son got it bad.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
13-12-2013, 06:40 PM
(13-12-2013 05:29 PM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  Quite a few people don't even know what the flu and its symptoms are. Hint: vomiting and diarrhea are NOT symptoms of influenza.

Right. I never felt nauseous once. Really bad cough, my ribs still hurt every time I even have a little cough. Wrapped up in bed, sweating my ass off but still feeling chilled.
The worst thing was the complete lack of energy. I was barely able to drag myself out of bed for a few bites of soup for two days. And when I did it was like I was drunk. My mind wouldn't function and I had no balance, like I was always just on the verge of passing out. Never did take my temp, but I'm sure I had to have had a good fever there for a bit.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
13-12-2013, 08:31 PM
(13-12-2013 06:40 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(13-12-2013 05:29 PM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  Quite a few people don't even know what the flu and its symptoms are. Hint: vomiting and diarrhea are NOT symptoms of influenza.

Right. I never felt nauseous once. Really bad cough, my ribs still hurt every time I even have a little cough. Wrapped up in bed, sweating my ass off but still feeling chilled.
The worst thing was the complete lack of energy. I was barely able to drag myself out of bed for a few bites of soup for two days. And when I did it was like I was drunk. My mind wouldn't function and I had no balance, like I was always just on the verge of passing out. Never did take my temp, but I'm sure I had to have had a good fever there for a bit.

Definitely symptoms of the flu. When I've gotten the flu, my worst symptoms are the muscle aches. Feels like my arms, back, and legs are being ripped apart.

As much as it kicked my ass, I can't imagine what it would do to someone that had a compromised immune system. No
13-12-2013, 08:47 PM
(13-12-2013 08:31 PM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  
(13-12-2013 06:40 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Right. I never felt nauseous once. Really bad cough, my ribs still hurt every time I even have a little cough. Wrapped up in bed, sweating my ass off but still feeling chilled.

Definitely symptoms of the flu. When I've gotten the flu, my worst symptoms are the muscle aches. Feels like my arms, back, and legs are being ripped apart.

As much as it kicked my ass, I can't imagine what it would do to someone that had a compromised immune system. No

Yes. Very achy. Just washing my legs in the shower hurt. Felt like my whole body was bruised.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
13-12-2013, 08:48 PM
Hope you feel better soon...don't over do it. You want to make sure you are over that mess.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
13-12-2013, 08:53 PM
(13-12-2013 08:48 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Hope you feel better soon...don't over do it. You want to make sure you are over that mess.

Thanks Ange. No worries, I'm a hoss. Feeling much better today.

~ Umberto Eco
13-12-2013, 09:01 PM
glad you are feeling better and thank you for the reminder!

My husband and I both caught it on vacation to visit family last Christmas. We had all sorts of things planned to visit with family we rarely see that we had to cancel, I felt terrible filling my sister in laws house with germs, and then its just miserable to not to be able to be in your own bed and home when you feel like shit.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post