Get yer damn flu shot!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-12-2013, 05:58 PM
RE: Get yer damn flu shot!
(14-12-2013 05:42 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(14-12-2013 02:23 PM)Chas Wrote:  I'm going to say this as gently as possible.

If the flu shot is available to you and you don't get it, You Are Fucking Stupid.

This is influenza, folks. It kills people.

"Oh, I never get the flu." Bullshit. You just ain't gotten it yet.

Last year's flu didn't kill you? Great, this year's might. Last year's killed some people. So will this year's. And next year's.

No one knows the virulence of this year's strain. We could see 1918 all over again. Some day we will.

Don't want to get the flu shot for some dumb-fuck reason? Fine. Tell me where to send your Darwin Award. Drinking Beverage
I'm not denying being stupid but what kind of a flu you have there? In my 37 years I don't know anybody who died from a flue and 70% of people here don't take the shot.

I would love the reward Unsure , I never got a reward for anything Weeping

In my 32 years I've never personally known anyone who was hit by a car and died. I still look both ways when crossing the street.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post
14-12-2013, 05:59 PM
(14-12-2013 05:58 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(14-12-2013 05:42 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  I'm not denying being stupid but what kind of a flu you have there? In my 37 years I don't know anybody who died from a flue and 70% of people here don't take the shot.

In my 32 years I've never personally known anyone who was hit by a car and died. I still look both ways when crossing the street.

Bowing

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
14-12-2013, 06:07 PM (This post was last modified: 14-12-2013 06:17 PM by Chas.)
(14-12-2013 05:42 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(14-12-2013 02:23 PM)Chas Wrote:  I'm going to say this as gently as possible.

If the flu shot is available to you and you don't get it, You Are Fucking Stupid.

This is influenza, folks. It kills people.

"Oh, I never get the flu." Bullshit. You just ain't gotten it yet.

Last year's flu didn't kill you? Great, this year's might. Last year's killed some people. So will this year's. And next year's.

No one knows the virulence of this year's strain. We could see 1918 all over again. Some day we will.

Don't want to get the flu shot for some dumb-fuck reason? Fine. Tell me where to send your Darwin Award. Drinking Beverage
I'm not denying being stupid but what kind of a flu you have there? In my 37 years I don't know anybody who died from a flue and 70% of people here don't take the shot.

Wikipedia Wrote:Influenza spreads around the world in seasonal epidemics, resulting in about three to five million yearly cases of severe illness and about 250,000 to 500,000 yearly deaths,[12] rising to millions in some pandemic years. In the 20th century three influenza pandemics occurred, each caused by the appearance of a new strain of the virus in humans, and killed tens of millions of people.

[Image: picurve49.gif]

Be careful what you wish for: the Darwin Award is only given posthumously. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-12-2013, 06:33 PM
(14-12-2013 05:58 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(14-12-2013 05:42 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  I'm not denying being stupid but what kind of a flu you have there? In my 37 years I don't know anybody who died from a flue and 70% of people here don't take the shot.

Unfortunately I did know.

But even if you personally don't know anybody who was hit by a car, you've heard of people getting hit by a car. You hear about the accidents in the news, etc.
***Insert Paul Walker joke***

But I never ever heard about a person dying from a flu , never read about it the papers ( I'm not counting some remote parts of the world where people die from
all sorts of things that don't affect western societies, like toothache or something like that )

Death from flu in US per year
Quote:Mortality

Number of deaths: 500
Deaths per 100,000 population: 0.2
source
I assume mostly infants and very old people.

On the other hand...
Quote: On average in 2011, 89 people were killed on the roadways of the U.S. each day.
source
That's 32.485 per year, and that is counting only deaths , not serious injuries, people who barely survived.

Not really the same amount of risk, wouldn't you say?

I am not saying that getting a shot is not a good idea, I am just saying that I can't get bothered with that. There is 50 things that are more likely to kill me then flu.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
14-12-2013, 06:37 PM
(14-12-2013 06:07 PM)Chas Wrote:  

Wikipedia Wrote:Influenza spreads around the world in seasonal epidemics, resulting in about three to five million yearly cases of severe illness and about 250,000 to 500,000 yearly deaths,[12] rising to millions in some pandemic years. In the 20th century three influenza pandemics occurred, each caused by the appearance of a new strain of the virus in humans, and killed tens of millions of people.

[Image: picurve49.gif]

Be careful what you wish for: the Darwin Award is only given posthumously. Drinking Beverage
Ok, ok. I know it's a good idea to get the shot, I get it.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
14-12-2013, 06:56 PM
I never got flu shots. They are nort available here.

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
14-12-2013, 07:00 PM
(14-12-2013 06:33 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(14-12-2013 05:58 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  In my 32 years I've never personally known anyone who was hit by a car and died. I still look both ways when crossing the street.
Unfortunately I did know.

But even if you personally don't know anybody who was hit by a car, you've heard of people getting hit by a car. You hear about the accidents in the news, etc.

But I never ever heard about a person dying from a flu , never read about it the papers ( I'm not counting some remote parts of the world where people die from
all sorts of things that don't affect western societies, like toothache or something like that )

source

On the other hand...
Quote: On average in 2011, 89 people were killed on the roadways of the U.S. each day.
source
That's 32.485 per year, and that is counting only deaths , not serious injuries, people who barely survived.

I am not saying that getting a shot is not a good idea, I am just saying that I can't get bothered with that. There is 50 things that are more likely to kill me then flu.

I know you can't see me because, well, Internet. But I'm giving you a stern look right now, one furrowed brow and everything. Dodgy

Okay, okay. I couldn't hold it. Tongue

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
14-12-2013, 07:11 PM
(14-12-2013 07:00 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(14-12-2013 06:33 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  Unfortunately I did know.

source

On the other hand...
source

I know you can't see me because, well, Internet. But I'm giving you a stern look right now, one furrowed brow and everything. Dodgy

Okay, okay. I couldn't hold it. Tongue
I can't see you but I have pretty good idea Big Grin
[Image: 2poefqx.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
14-12-2013, 07:14 PM
God. Damned. Right.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
14-12-2013, 08:29 PM
(14-12-2013 06:33 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  Death from flu in US per year

source

You are comparing apples to oranges. Influenza causes complications and secondary infections that kill countless people per year. Here's the explanation from the CDC website:

"Does CDC know the exact number of people who die from seasonal flu each year?

CDC does not know exactly how many people die from seasonal flu each year. There are several reasons for this. First, states are not required to report individual seasonal flu cases or deaths of people older than 18 years of age to CDC. Second, seasonal influenza is infrequently listed on death certificates of people who die from flu-related complications. Third, many seasonal flu-related deaths occur one or two weeks after a person’s initial infection, either because the person may develop a secondary bacterial co-infection (such as bacterial pneumonia) or because seasonal influenza can aggravate an existing chronic illness (such as congestive heart failure or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease). Also, most people who die from seasonal flu-related complications are not tested for flu, or they seek medical care later in their illness when seasonal influenza can no longer be detected from respiratory samples. "

Also, you may have a nice, peppy immune system that fights off the virus before it gets too bad, but at that same time you are still able to spread the virus to others.

So maybe you spread it to someone with a compromised immune system and they die a few weeks later from bacterial pneumonia.

The flu shot doesn't just protect you.
[+] 1 user Likes jaguar3030's post