Get yer damn flu shot!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-12-2013, 09:44 PM
RE: Get yer damn flu shot!
(13-12-2013 11:58 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Yeah, that's pretty much it. Just a friendly PSA.

Stupid me, procrastinated this year.

"oh, I never get sick".

"meh, I haven't had the flu in over a decade".

I got a damn baby in the house (we did of course have the kids get their shots, they're fine) and what happens? Wham! I'm down like a sack of potatoes for two days straight.

So if you haven't yet, go get the fucking shot, cus the flu is nasty this year.

I never get the flu...... Weeping

After I had my youngest daughter (oct 2012) I got my first ever flu shot and my first ever flu. That shot hurt so bad; my arm was sore for two weeks! I'm not saying the shot gave me the flu, but it obviously didn't protect me from it. Maybe I just have terrible luck, but I don't think I will get the flu shot again. Ever.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-12-2013, 09:54 PM
(14-12-2013 09:44 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(13-12-2013 11:58 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Yeah, that's pretty much it. Just a friendly PSA.

Stupid me, procrastinated this year.

"oh, I never get sick".

"meh, I haven't had the flu in over a decade".

I got a damn baby in the house (we did of course have the kids get their shots, they're fine) and what happens? Wham! I'm down like a sack of potatoes for two days straight.

So if you haven't yet, go get the fucking shot, cus the flu is nasty this year.

I never get the flu...... Weeping

After I had my youngest daughter (oct 2012) I got my first ever flu shot and my first ever flu. That shot hurt so bad; my arm was sore for two weeks! I'm not saying the shot gave me the flu, but it obviously didn't protect me from it. Maybe I just have terrible luck, but I don't think I will get the flu shot again. Ever.

Suck it up woman. The shot isn't that bad. Plus, have you read any of this thread? It's not just about you, it's about doing your part to help protect those who might not be able to protect themselves. Every one doing their part is how it works.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
14-12-2013, 10:05 PM
(14-12-2013 06:33 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(14-12-2013 05:58 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  In my 32 years I've never personally known anyone who was hit by a car and died. I still look both ways when crossing the street.
Unfortunately I did know.

But even if you personally don't know anybody who was hit by a car, you've heard of people getting hit by a car. You hear about the accidents in the news, etc.
***Insert Paul Walker joke***

But I never ever heard about a person dying from a flu , never read about it the papers ( I'm not counting some remote parts of the world where people die from
all sorts of things that don't affect western societies, like toothache or something like that )

Death from flu in US per year
Quote:Mortality

Number of deaths: 500
Deaths per 100,000 population: 0.2
source
I assume mostly infants and very old people.

On the other hand...
Quote: On average in 2011, 89 people were killed on the roadways of the U.S. each day.
source
That's 32.485 per year, and that is counting only deaths , not serious injuries, people who barely survived.

Not really the same amount of risk, wouldn't you say?

I am not saying that getting a shot is not a good idea, I am just saying that I can't get bothered with that. There is 50 things that are more likely to kill me then flu.

You must have skipped over the part where I pointed out that its virulence and lethality are unpredictable.
When the next really nasty strain kills you, don't come crying to me. No

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-12-2013, 10:10 PM
(14-12-2013 09:54 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(14-12-2013 09:44 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  After I had my youngest daughter (oct 2012) I got my first ever flu shot and my first ever flu. That shot hurt so bad; my arm was sore for two weeks! I'm not saying the shot gave me the flu, but it obviously didn't protect me from it. Maybe I just have terrible luck, but I don't think I will get the flu shot again. Ever.

Suck it up woman. The shot isn't that bad. Plus, have you read any of this thread? It's not just about you, it's about doing your part to help protect those who might not be able to protect themselves. Every one doing their part is how it works.

I didn't read the thread. Sorry, love. I guess I will have to go back and read through, maybe you will convince me haha. It was bad though, it hurt just to move my arm. I know, I'm a crybaby, but I just don't think it's worth it when you get the flu anyways.
14-12-2013, 10:40 PM
(14-12-2013 10:10 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(14-12-2013 09:54 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Suck it up woman. The shot isn't that bad. Plus, have you read any of this thread? It's not just about you, it's about doing your part to help protect those who might not be able to protect themselves. Every one doing their part is how it works.

I didn't read the thread. Sorry, love. I guess I will have to go back and read through, maybe you will convince me haha. It was bad though, it hurt just to move my arm. I know, I'm a crybaby, but I just don't think it's worth it when you get the flu anyways.

No vaccine is 100% effective. And the latest version that I got is sub-cutaneous, not intramuscular. No pain, easy-peasy. Thumbsup

14-12-2013, 10:43 PM
(14-12-2013 10:40 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-12-2013 10:10 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I didn't read the thread. Sorry, love. I guess I will have to go back and read through, maybe you will convince me haha. It was bad though, it hurt just to move my arm. I know, I'm a crybaby, but I just don't think it's worth it when you get the flu anyways.

No vaccine is 100% effective. And the latest version that I got is sub-cutaneous, not intramuscular. No pain, easy-peasy. Thumbsup

You can say it in any language, love, but please please use smaller words. Tongue
[+] 3 users Like Losty's post
14-12-2013, 10:51 PM
(14-12-2013 10:43 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(14-12-2013 10:40 PM)Chas Wrote:  No vaccine is 100% effective. And the latest version that I got is sub-cutaneous, not intramuscular. No pain, easy-peasy. Thumbsup

You can say it in any language, love, but please please use smaller words. Tongue

The shot you got was a big needle that had to go through the skin and into your muscle. And the vaccine had to be forced into your dense muscle.

The shot that I got was a teeny, tiny needle that just broke the surface of the skin. And the vaccine was easily deposited beneath the skin layer.

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post