Getting Lectured by a Christian

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-04-2014, 09:03 AM
Getting Lectured by a Christian
In another thread, I recounted the story of going to a friend's house for dinner. I was a kid (maybe 13 or 14) and during the meal, I mentioned to my buddy and his parents that I thought vegetarians were cool. I, myself, was not a vegetarian. But, I thought it was so cool that people could be disciplined about their diet because they cared about other living things or cared about the environment, etc. At the time, I was a budding naturalist, taking a keen interest in my local bugs, birds, and even stray cats. I'd follow them around, watch them from a distance, and just sit in awe of how cool the natural world could be. I had an Audubon Society field guide to trees and I'd compare leaves and pine cones. Basically, even though I was mostly a city kid, I was in awe of what Darwin called the tree of life.

My friend's family was a hyper-conservative, evangelical family of Southern Baptists. For my remark about vegetarians, I got an earful of biblical evidence (our favorite kind, right?) for the idea of mankind's dominion over animals. God, I was told, created animals for us to eat. And then, my friend's mom told me that vegetarians were sinful for rejecting his gift of life-sustaining food. All the natural world that we could see and experience, I was told, was designed with humans in mind (for our food, enjoyment, etc). Being a respectful younger dude, I didn't want to argue at another family's dinner table. But, I was genuinely dumbstruck by the whole thing.

Years later, I'm still hung up on the religious perspective on the natural world - it's our buffet and our garbage can and we can do with it as we please. Now, I think what you eat should be up to you (if you want to be a vegan or if you want to eat red meat three times a day, I'm good with all of it). But, I'm genuinely put off by the entitlement that Christians (in particular) seem to have about destroying animals and beautiful landscapes because they believe that everything was designed with us, and our experiences, in mind.

Has anyone else had any experience with getting lectures about nature and animals from Christians?

"The truth must dazzle gradually / or every man be blind." Emily Dickinson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Virgo Supercluster's post
18-04-2014, 09:12 AM
RE: Getting Lectured by a Christian
It may be one reason why we've fucked the environment up so badly... Believing we have "dominion" over everything and can exploit it any way we like.

I think that's why a lot of these Christians don't accept global warming as a fact... Because it goes against the idea that the Earth was made for us to exploit as we see fit.

These cocksuckers are fucking determined to kill us all one way or another.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like Sam's post
18-04-2014, 09:40 AM
More stupidity from people who profess to understand their religion, but probably never even opened the Bible, let alone read it. Dodgy

Yes, God supposedly gave us dominion over animals and the earth, but how they stretch that mean it's actually a sin not to eat animals is completely beyond me.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
18-04-2014, 09:48 AM
(18-04-2014 09:03 AM)Virgo Supercluster Wrote:  God, I was told, created animals for us to eat.

So, lions, tigers, bears, crocodiles, alligators, snakes, poisonous frogs, sharks, and all the other animals that can kill us and aren't eaten very often are more proof god is an idiot/jerk, then?
18-04-2014, 10:19 AM
There's definitely that vein at work in Christianity, and it has had a hugely negative impact on our world.

That's not the whole of Christianity, though. A great many Christians emphasize the relationship as one of stewardship, rather than dominion. We're supposed to take care of Earth and its critters on behalf of God or something like that.

Of late, Evangelicals (as a demographic, with a great many individual exceptions) are slowly waking up to the dangers of environmental catastrophe, and their beliefs are slowly shifting from dominion to stewardship.

Do they get points for eventually figuring it out? Kinda-maybe partial credit. But they're a day late and a buck short. Personally, I hate that there's this added step to convincing society to change. The science and reining in the people causing the damage is hard enough without throwing the bullshit-believers in for the extra challenge.
18-04-2014, 10:41 AM
I usually don't recommend nor engage in the following tactic, because of a well known rule:
[Image: d8c0cf46-2469-4df5-91db-fff3f768dc97.jpg]

But if you're up for the challenge you can always try to counter fabulous bullshit with even more fabulous bullshit. If in this case:

(18-04-2014 09:03 AM)Virgo Supercluster Wrote:  my friend's mom told me [...] All the natural world that we could see and experience [...] was designed with humans in mind ...

...you can perfectly well continue this polished turd of an argument by stating something like:

Quote:all animals and mankind were created to be plant eaters (cf. Gen 1:29-30)

...like they so often like to point out in creationist sources as an explanation for why there was no death (since there was no suffering) in the Wondergarden before a crafty snake Satan lured Eve to have a bite of a magic fruit. So in essence, by being a veggy you're just reverting to the diet that was "designed for you in the first place". Obviously, if you wish to stay in reasonable relations with whomever you're arguing, this is not the preferred way to deal with issues. But it works for shits & giggles.

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
[+] 1 user Likes John's post
18-04-2014, 11:53 AM
(18-04-2014 09:03 AM)Virgo Supercluster Wrote:  For my remark about vegetarians, I got an earful of biblical evidence (our favorite kind, right?) for the idea of mankind's dominion over animals. God, I was told, created animals for us to eat.

No, this guy needs to learn to Bible. God created all the animals in the Garden of Eden, and no one was eating anyone, animal and human alike. They all ate plants before the fall:

Genesis 1:29-30

the super scientific and accurate Bible Wrote:29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.

30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.

Oops. Looks like he needs to learn more about his own religion.

(18-04-2014 09:03 AM)Virgo Supercluster Wrote:  And then, my friend's mom told me that vegetarians were sinful for rejecting his gift of life-sustaining food.

This is stupid and she should feel stupid. Vegetarians eat the plants he created. Is her actual argument everyone has to eat all the food that exists, or they are sinful? So, if you don't eat squid, you're a bad Christian? What this is I don't even.

(18-04-2014 09:03 AM)Virgo Supercluster Wrote:  All the natural world that we could see and experience, I was told, was designed with humans in mind (for our food, enjoyment, etc).

Including childhood diseases. A real nice guy, that YHWH.

(18-04-2014 09:03 AM)Virgo Supercluster Wrote:  Has anyone else had any experience with getting lectures about nature and animals from Christians?

I used to get lectured over playing D&D. I was once made to read a book on pregnancy and babies by my ex-stepdad when he found out I was pro-choice.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
18-04-2014, 12:34 PM
Yep, I've had several christians tell me climate change isn't real because god won't let us mess up his creation. Which I think is insanely hilarious given what said god does to things he creates.
[+] 1 user Likes Mat0816's post
18-04-2014, 12:47 PM
(18-04-2014 12:34 PM)Mat0816 Wrote:  Yep, I've had several christians tell me climate change isn't real because god won't let us mess up his creation. Which I think is insanely hilarious given what said god does to things he creates.

Notice how Christians of that opinion tend to live where there's shit loads of oil?

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-04-2014, 03:11 PM
Thank you, everyone. Thank you for reminding me that there are rational people out there!

"The truth must dazzle gradually / or every man be blind." Emily Dickinson