Getting Sick Of The "Angry Atheist" Accusation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-03-2014, 10:48 PM (This post was last modified: 29-03-2014 10:53 PM by WindyCityJazz.)
Heart Getting Sick Of The "Angry Atheist" Accusation
I have to constantly hear this shit all the time from religious people, and it's getting really old: "You atheists are such angry people! Why do you care what people believe?"

I try to make it as clear as possible for these people: Atheists don't care what people believe. You can believe in whatever the fuck you want: fairies, unicorns, invisible sky-daddies, etc. We don't give two shits. What we DO have a problem with is when you try to force YOUR religious crap down OUR throats and the throats of everybody else in society! The problem that you Bible thumpers have is that atheists are standing up for themselves when you pull this shit of forcing your religious garbage on us. You want atheists to be like submissive dogs with their tails between their legs, just keeping their mouths closed while you spew your religious crap all over them, and when they don't behave that way you accuse them of being angry and hateful. I'd love to see your reaction if the tables were turned and your child was having Islamic beliefs shoved down their throat at school. You would flip your shit, and you know damn well that I'm right!

But it's like talking to a damn wall. It's like they are completely incapable of understanding this concept.

The ones I get most annoyed with are the ones that initiate a religious discussion (KNOWING THAT I'M ATHEIST!), then bitch and call me hateful because I pointed out a whole bunch of immoral bullshit and contradictions from their Bible that is supposed to be the word of their infallible god. Yeah, apparently you thought that you were going to convert me, or at the very least, make a fool of me, and instead you got your ass handed to you, so now you're pouting like some bratty child.

Of course, getting religious people to realize their incredibly blatant hypocrisy is a lost cause. I'm just getting sick of this bullshit, hypocritical accusation. I'm sure every atheist on here has had to deal with this crap, but lately it seems like I'm hearing it all the time.

BTW I have no idea why there is a heart next to my title. I can't seem to get rid of it.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 15 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
29-03-2014, 10:53 PM
RE: Getting Sick Of The "Angry Atheist" Accusation
U mad bro?
[+] 10 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
29-03-2014, 10:54 PM
You just can't get through to them sometimes! Bangin

I'm only an angry atheist when they're not listening! Censored

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post
29-03-2014, 10:55 PM
(29-03-2014 10:53 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  U mad bro?

Just venting. That's why I like having a place like this to go to. Because I know there are others who have to deal with it too.

[+] 1 user Likes WindyCityJazz's post
29-03-2014, 10:55 PM
I haven't experienced it, but I agree its a common and annoying comment. A few friends have heard it, and they're perfectly pleasant.
29-03-2014, 10:58 PM
Too tired atm to read the whole thing, but it's just a red herring. Yeah we get angry when they try to put their boot on our neck. Who wouldn't.

WAS MLK an "angry nigger", or a freedom fighter. Their desperate innuendo is only empty rhetoric.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 4 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
29-03-2014, 11:01 PM
Yeah, it can be incredibly frustrating at times. Unfortunately, since it's a defensive mechanism and cognitive dissonance mechanism, it comes up frequently.

Essentially... it comes down to, "I'm uncomfortable with people opposing my view." It seems to kind of etch at people. Even if you aren't initiating the conversation, people who are uncomfortable with it with bring things up hoping they can change your mind. After all, it's a lot easier when everyone sees things your way.

I would also say, coming from a previously religious background, it's difficult to get somemost people to understand that everyone isn't necessarily angry about it, but perhaps angry at what it does, the consequences it has on others, and the way it affects other people and their lives. But many of those people genuinely think what they are doing is in the best interest of others, being indoctrinated and all.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 3 users Like Logisch's post
29-03-2014, 11:01 PM
(29-03-2014 10:55 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  I haven't experienced it, but I agree its a common and annoying comment. A few friends have heard it, and they're perfectly pleasant.

You're lucky. Probably the most frustrating part about it is that I don't even get angry with them. I stay calm and make my point, but their immediate response is to label me as an angry person because I don't agree with their faith. If I were screaming and yelling at them, then yeah, I can see why they would feel that way, but that's not the case.

[+] 1 user Likes WindyCityJazz's post
29-03-2014, 11:02 PM
While I disagree with the writer's affiliation with the whole "Atheism+" batshit bullshit, she has some valid points in the following essay:

Atheists and Anger

29-03-2014, 11:09 PM
Bottom line is that the whole "you're angry" line of attack is an Ad Hominem fallacy. OF COURSE we are angry that religious nuts are trying to force their delusions and superstitions down our throats and our children's. OF COURSE we are angry that they can legally have our children taken away from us because we don't believe in their fairy tales. THEY don't want Islamic terrorists to force THEIR batshit beliefs on THEM by the sword, why can't they see that WE don't want THEM to do the same to us?Hobo

[+] 4 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post