Getting Sick Of The "Angry Atheist" Accusation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-03-2014, 11:33 PM
RE: Getting Sick Of The "Angry Atheist" Accusation
In their minds we are like children touching a hot stove, and they are the responsible adults demanding we take our hand away.

The stoves operators manual, clearly proves the stove is hot and is not to be touched, we must be angry at the stove for attempting to provoke it.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like sporehux's post
30-03-2014, 07:07 AM
(29-03-2014 11:09 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  OF COURSE we are angry that they can legally have our children taken away from us because we don't believe in their fairy tales.

Gasp Crud, really?
30-03-2014, 07:25 AM
We care what people believe and more importantly how they form conclusions because in a Republic they get to vote on issues that can have dramatic effects on our lives. When people form conclusions without sufficient evidence then they are a danger to us. Faith is a mind destroying disease disguised as a moral virtue and religion is the primary vector of infection. So yes, what people believe and how they act are important especially in a Republic where the infected get to vote for politicians who will, oh let's see, try to force our kids to be taught ancient stone age myths about how the world came about in science class.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 4 users Like true scotsman's post
30-03-2014, 07:50 AM
(30-03-2014 07:25 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  Faith is a mind destroying disease disguised as a moral virtue and religion is the primary vector of infection.

Powerful allegory Bowing

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
30-03-2014, 07:58 AM
(30-03-2014 07:50 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(30-03-2014 07:25 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  Faith is a mind destroying disease disguised as a moral virtue and religion is the primary vector of infection.

Powerful allegory Bowing

Give the credit to Darrel Ray. It is a fantastic way of conceptualizing the problem.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
30-03-2014, 08:21 AM (This post was last modified: 30-03-2014 09:04 AM by Chas.)
On the plus side, in civilized societies they can no longer try us, torture us, convict us, and execute us for apostasy. But they weren't angry, noooooooo.

They can only do that that in blighted, ignorant, backwards societies.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
30-03-2014, 08:33 AM
I don't care what people believe but I care a great deal about what they do and vote for.

As for being angry, I'm angry when I need to be. Its my natural response when I hear people talking shit as if its true. I would feel the same way if people constantly and knowingly kept refering to me as a general in some army that committed genocide. You're lying to others about who i am and what i stand for and doing it on purpose.

Of course I'm going to be angry

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
30-03-2014, 09:45 AM
You know. There is nothing wrong with being an "Angry" Atheist.

I'd say we have every right to be honestly. Look what religion does to people all over the world.

You should watch Greta Christine talk about it. I share this video on a fairly regular basis. Shes so correct.

30-03-2014, 12:44 PM
Yeah, I think it's a way to shut people up, to stop atheists from discussing religion and to stop us from "hurting religious feelings" by talking about things like evidence.

I was just talking about this on facebook. What bothers me is the double standard: it's ok for religious people to discuss their religion openly, to get angry about things, and even to attempt to persuade others to join their religion. However, it's NOT ok for an atheist to openly discuss why they are an atheist (this is perceived as "disrespectful" and an "attack", even if they are just responding a question of why they are an atheist), people give atheists shit for being angry, no matter what the cause, and they REALLY freak out if they think an atheist is trying to de-convert people with pesky things like facts and evidence.

I mean, I've been called a "militant atheist" at times when a theist asked me "Why are you an atheist?" And I would respond calmly and honestly, and that would be considered an attack by some very irrational people, because belief in woo gets special treatment. I mean, there is nothing wrong with being an angry atheist, but it seems to me that people say that even when it's not true.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-03-2014, 05:51 PM
It's one of the oldest tricks in the book, try to bait the person not agreeing with their beliefs as angry, militant, etc., to make themselves appear superior. As Chas said, all the stake-burning and witch hunting proves that they have not been models of calm and serenity over the years. Don't let them rattle you, not worth your time. I'm in Mississippi so I'm surrounded and know whereof I speak on dealing with the fairy-tale believing majority.

Godless in the Magnolia State
[+] 1 user Likes cjs's post