Getting Sick Of The "Angry Atheist" Accusation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2014, 09:30 PM
RE: Getting Sick Of The "Angry Atheist" Accusation
(30-03-2014 09:45 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  You know. There is nothing wrong with being an "Angry" Atheist.

I'd say we have every right to be honestly. Look what religion does to people all over the world.

You should watch Greta Christine talk about it. I share this video on a fairly regular basis. Shes so correct.

[Image: 13553959.jpg]

Why Are You Atheists So Angry? 99 Things That Piss Off the Godless

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-03-2014, 10:10 PM
(30-03-2014 05:51 PM)cjs Wrote:  It's one of the oldest tricks in the book, try to bait the person not agreeing with their beliefs as angry, militant, etc., to make themselves appear superior. As Chas said, all the stake-burning and witch hunting proves that they have not been models of calm and serenity over the years. Don't let them rattle you, not worth your time. I'm in Mississippi so I'm surrounded and know whereof I speak on dealing with the fairy-tale believing majority.

Having the burger flipping Philosophy background I do, I can attest to this. Whenever you enter into a debate with someone, they are loosing and can obfuscate their position, they'll do it. The usual from my university classes was "you just don't understand the argument" when you've raised valid points. Apologetics pull this often, your average person on the street goes for the more visceral "you're just mad at God," or the "you had a bad experience that caused you to turn your back on God."

I hope that doesn't come off as if I'm a know-it-all, just a major pet peeve of mine running into equally intelligent people trying to pull rank they don't have.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
30-03-2014, 11:25 PM
(29-03-2014 10:48 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  I have to constantly hear this shit all the time from religious people, and it's getting really old: "You atheists are such angry people! Why do you care what people believe?"

I try to make it as clear as possible for these people: Atheists* don't care what people believe. You can believe in whatever the fuck you want: fairies, unicorns, invisible sky-daddies, etc. We* don't give two shits. What we* DO have a problem with is when you try to force YOUR religious crap down OUR throats and the throats of everybody else in society! The problem that you Bible thumpers have is that atheists* are standing up for themselves when you pull this shit of forcing your religious garbage on us. You want atheists to be like submissive dogs with their tails between their legs, just keeping their mouths closed while you spew your religious crap all over them, and when they don't behave that way you accuse them of being angry and hateful. I'd love to see your reaction if the tables were turned and your child was having Islamic beliefs shoved down their throat at school. You would flip your shit, and you know damn well that I'm right!

But it's like talking to a damn wall. It's like they are completely incapable of understanding this concept.

*most of the
*most of us

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
31-03-2014, 06:57 AM
(30-03-2014 07:07 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  
(29-03-2014 11:09 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  OF COURSE we are angry that they can legally have our children taken away from us because we don't believe in their fairy tales.

Gasp Crud, really?

Depends on the state and the judge. I'm not sure if any states have laws on atheism and adoption, but in terms of custody disputes, a judge's authority is supreme. The judge will look at the situation and make whatever decision s/he thinks is best for the child. Sadly, a non-zero number of these judges believe that religious upbringing is super-important. They'll make snap judgments on the parent's character and base the entire decision on that.

To give you an idea about how stupid judges can get in the states when it comes to religious stuff (and get away with it), I point you to the Tennessee judge who ordered the name change of a child. Her stated reason was "The word 'messiah' is a title, and it's a title that has only been earned by one person, and that one person is Jesus Christ,".
31-03-2014, 07:04 AM
(31-03-2014 06:57 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(30-03-2014 07:07 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  Gasp Crud, really?

Depends on the state and the judge. I'm not sure if any states have laws on atheism and adoption, but in terms of custody disputes, a judge's authority is supreme. The judge will look at the situation and make whatever decision s/he thinks is best for the child. Sadly, a non-zero number of these judges believe that religious upbringing is super-important. They'll make snap judgments on the parent's character and base the entire decision on that.

To give you an idea about how stupid judges can get in the states when it comes to religious stuff (and get away with it), I point you to the Tennessee judge who ordered the name change of a child. Her stated reason was "The word 'messiah' is a title, and it's a title that has only been earned by one person, and that one person is Jesus Christ,".

'Messiah' of course being a title that translated as 'anointed one', a title held by many before Jesus supposedly did. Fuck, remind me again why I know more about her fucked-in-the-head cult than she does? Facepalm

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
31-03-2014, 07:38 AM
Quote:I'm not sure if any states have laws on atheism and adoption

Yes. Yes they do. Some states will bar atheists from adopting and many adoption agencies give precedence to religious couples or simply not serve atheist couples.
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
31-03-2014, 12:04 PM
(31-03-2014 07:38 AM)natachan Wrote:  
Quote:I'm not sure if any states have laws on atheism and adoption

Yes. Yes they do. Some states will bar atheists from adopting and many adoption agencies give precedence to religious couples or simply not serve atheist couples.

Shocking I nearly choked on my coke reading this. And that judges can allow religious beliefs to be a factor in custody cases.
I knew it was bad over there, but woooooooooow Blink
I'm having a hard time imagining things like this!
Good on you guys for not just giving up and fleeing the country! This is just ridicuous! And scary! It's supposed to be a modern country, with freedom of religion (including freedom of not having one). This is religious persecution at a level comparable with the worst islamic states!

Sorry for being off topic, I just had to vent my shock and my deepfelt respect for those of you guys who manage to be outspoken atheists in the more religious areas of the US.

When it comes to the angry atheist.... I've had people ask me why I am angry at god several times, I expect that's a common occurence for most of you. That one amuses me. It's like asking why I'm angry at unicorns. I'm not angry at god (or unicorns), I don't believe in the existence of this god guy.
I AM both an atheist and angry though. It makes me angry when children are indoctrinated and scared, it makes me angry when people are lied to (Like this creotard Ken Hovind who claims scientific evidence, and tells sciencey-sounding bullshit as if it was sound theories, for the biblical creation story, a great big flood covering the entire planet and dinosaurs living alongside Jesus 2000 years ago), it makes me angry when violence and intolerance is committed in the name of some deity and it makes me angry when people are prevented from using their own brains to think. So yes, I am angry, but not because I'm an atheist, but because I have a sense of morality.
Nothing wrong with righteous anger Wink
[+] 1 user Likes LadyDay's post
31-03-2014, 01:58 PM
First they piss you off, then they ask 'why are you so angry?'

I was having a nice drive to work, when the daily 'let a minister say something' minute came around, and he started talking about how angry atheists are. That made me angry.
[+] 1 user Likes Dean J. Smith's post
01-04-2014, 02:03 PM
Christian: "You atheists are such angry people! Why do you care what people believe?"
Me: "Try to settle down. You're sounding awfully angry." Tongue

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 3 users Like Impulse's post
01-04-2014, 09:09 PM
(29-03-2014 10:48 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  I have to constantly hear this shit all the time from religious people, and it's getting really old: "You atheists are such angry people! Why do you care what people believe?"

I try to make it as clear as possible for these people: Atheists don't care what people believe. You can believe in whatever the fuck you want: fairies, unicorns, invisible sky-daddies, etc. We don't give two shits. What we DO have a problem with is when you try to force YOUR religious crap down OUR throats and the throats of everybody else in society! The problem that you Bible thumpers have is that atheists are standing up for themselves when you pull this shit of forcing your religious garbage on us. You want atheists to be like submissive dogs with their tails between their legs, just keeping their mouths closed while you spew your religious crap all over them, and when they don't behave that way you accuse them of being angry and hateful. I'd love to see your reaction if the tables were turned and your child was having Islamic beliefs shoved down their throat at school. You would flip your shit, and you know damn well that I'm right!

But it's like talking to a damn wall. It's like they are completely incapable of understanding this concept.

The ones I get most annoyed with are the ones that initiate a religious discussion (KNOWING THAT I'M ATHEIST!), then bitch and call me hateful because I pointed out a whole bunch of immoral bullshit and contradictions from their Bible that is supposed to be the word of their infallible god. Yeah, apparently you thought that you were going to convert me, or at the very least, make a fool of me, and instead you got your ass handed to you, so now you're pouting like some bratty child.

Of course, getting religious people to realize their incredibly blatant hypocrisy is a lost cause. I'm just getting sick of this bullshit, hypocritical accusation. I'm sure every atheist on here has had to deal with this crap, but lately it seems like I'm hearing it all the time.

BTW I have no idea why there is a heart next to my title. I can't seem to get rid of it.

I hate when ignorant people claim that atheists hate god. If someone is an atheist that hates god, then that person is absolutely contradicting everything that an atheist believes in. How can you hate something that you don't believe in? From what I've noticed, there are two kinds of atheists: the kind that hates and ridicules the idea of a deity and the kind that respects other people's ideas and beliefs. The latter is definitely the more open-minded kind.

the self-righteous asshole Drinking Beverage