Getting Sick Of The "Angry Atheist" Accusation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2014, 02:32 AM
RE: Getting Sick Of The "Angry Atheist" Accusation
(01-04-2014 09:09 PM)b1g_br0th3r Wrote:  
(29-03-2014 10:48 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  I have to constantly hear this shit all the time from religious people, and it's getting really old: "You atheists are such angry people! Why do you care what people believe?"

I try to make it as clear as possible for these people: Atheists don't care what people believe. You can believe in whatever the fuck you want: fairies, unicorns, invisible sky-daddies, etc. We don't give two shits. What we DO have a problem with is when you try to force YOUR religious crap down OUR throats and the throats of everybody else in society! The problem that you Bible thumpers have is that atheists are standing up for themselves when you pull this shit of forcing your religious garbage on us. You want atheists to be like submissive dogs with their tails between their legs, just keeping their mouths closed while you spew your religious crap all over them, and when they don't behave that way you accuse them of being angry and hateful. I'd love to see your reaction if the tables were turned and your child was having Islamic beliefs shoved down their throat at school. You would flip your shit, and you know damn well that I'm right!

But it's like talking to a damn wall. It's like they are completely incapable of understanding this concept.

The ones I get most annoyed with are the ones that initiate a religious discussion (KNOWING THAT I'M ATHEIST!), then bitch and call me hateful because I pointed out a whole bunch of immoral bullshit and contradictions from their Bible that is supposed to be the word of their infallible god. Yeah, apparently you thought that you were going to convert me, or at the very least, make a fool of me, and instead you got your ass handed to you, so now you're pouting like some bratty child.

Of course, getting religious people to realize their incredibly blatant hypocrisy is a lost cause. I'm just getting sick of this bullshit, hypocritical accusation. I'm sure every atheist on here has had to deal with this crap, but lately it seems like I'm hearing it all the time.

BTW I have no idea why there is a heart next to my title. I can't seem to get rid of it.

I hate when ignorant people claim that atheists hate god. If someone is an atheist that hates god, then that person is absolutely contradicting everything that an atheist believes in. How can you hate something that you don't believe in? From what I've noticed, there are two kinds of atheists: the kind that hates and ridicules the idea of a deity and the kind that respects other people's ideas and beliefs. The latter is definitely the more open-minded kind.

I used to be the latter, now people's stupidity annoys me. How can people who believe in talking animals expect to be taken seriously? Personally I think they deserve to be mocked.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2014, 04:20 AM
The thing that annoys me is when religious people say something religious (and thus stupid) and I call them out on it and than they get shitty at me for not respecting their beliefs and trying to cause a religious argument.

But, if someone was to have a conversation with you about ridiculously stupid stuff like how everyone is purple and can fly, you're gonna say something.. same thing.
Your religious bullshit doesn't get a pass because it's "religious".
Fuck your religion. And yes I do believe you can believe whatever the fuck you want, but if it's bullshit than I'm call you out on it.

Religious people tend to be very ill-informed on their religion and get scared when someone challenges them because they lack any ability to rationally defend themselves so they use arguments like "stop trying to cause a religious argument" or "you should be more sensitive to my beliefs" (that's my personal fav).

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
02-04-2014, 05:39 AM
(02-04-2014 04:20 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  The thing that annoys me is when religious people say something religious (and thus stupid) and I call them out on it and than they get shitty at me for not respecting their beliefs and trying to cause a religious argument.

You are not alone Muffs.

[Image: tumblr_n2qprc8BfA1qjsewxo1_1280.png]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
02-04-2014, 07:20 AM
(01-04-2014 09:09 PM)b1g_br0th3r Wrote:  
(29-03-2014 10:48 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  I have to constantly hear this shit all the time from religious people, and it's getting really old: "You atheists are such angry people! Why do you care what people believe?"

I try to make it as clear as possible for these people: Atheists don't care what people believe. You can believe in whatever the fuck you want: fairies, unicorns, invisible sky-daddies, etc. We don't give two shits. What we DO have a problem with is when you try to force YOUR religious crap down OUR throats and the throats of everybody else in society! The problem that you Bible thumpers have is that atheists are standing up for themselves when you pull this shit of forcing your religious garbage on us. You want atheists to be like submissive dogs with their tails between their legs, just keeping their mouths closed while you spew your religious crap all over them, and when they don't behave that way you accuse them of being angry and hateful. I'd love to see your reaction if the tables were turned and your child was having Islamic beliefs shoved down their throat at school. You would flip your shit, and you know damn well that I'm right!

But it's like talking to a damn wall. It's like they are completely incapable of understanding this concept.

The ones I get most annoyed with are the ones that initiate a religious discussion (KNOWING THAT I'M ATHEIST!), then bitch and call me hateful because I pointed out a whole bunch of immoral bullshit and contradictions from their Bible that is supposed to be the word of their infallible god. Yeah, apparently you thought that you were going to convert me, or at the very least, make a fool of me, and instead you got your ass handed to you, so now you're pouting like some bratty child.

Of course, getting religious people to realize their incredibly blatant hypocrisy is a lost cause. I'm just getting sick of this bullshit, hypocritical accusation. I'm sure every atheist on here has had to deal with this crap, but lately it seems like I'm hearing it all the time.

BTW I have no idea why there is a heart next to my title. I can't seem to get rid of it.

I hate when ignorant people claim that atheists hate god. If someone is an atheist that hates god, then that person is absolutely contradicting everything that an atheist believes in. How can you hate something that you don't believe in? From what I've noticed, there are two kinds of atheists: the kind that hates and ridicules the idea of a deity and the kind that respects other people's ideas and beliefs. The latter is definitely the more open-minded kind.

Tolerant, yes. Open-minded? No.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
02-04-2014, 08:59 AM
(29-03-2014 10:48 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  I try to make it as clear as possible for these people: Atheists don't care what people believe. You can believe in whatever the fuck you want: fairies, unicorns, invisible sky-daddies, etc. We don't give two shits. What we DO have a problem with is when you try to force YOUR religious crap down OUR throats and the throats of everybody else in society! The problem that you Bible thumpers have is that atheists are standing up for themselves when you pull this shit of forcing your religious garbage on us.

Actually I care what people believe if it's not true.
I care for the education of people.Smartass
I "care about what people believe" because I don't want to see people in the future as mindless dumb-(f)ducks who try to correlate their lives with a bronze age system, and have to suffer over it's arbitrary rules.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
02-04-2014, 12:47 PM
(02-04-2014 08:59 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  Actually I care what people believe if it's not true.
I care for the education of people.Smartass
I "care about what people believe" because I don't want to see people in the future as mindless dumb-(f)ducks who try to correlate their lives with a bronze age system, and have to suffer over it's arbitrary rules.

I care when people want to bring their religious garbage into public schools and teach it alongside science. That is when I stand up and say "No, that is not going to happen!"

What I don't care about is going around trying to de-convert people. It's a waste of my time. I will treat these people the same way that I will treat people who believe in any other kind of supernatural creature/being: I will ignore it because it is not a valid argument. I wouldn't waste my time with people who believe that leprechauns are real. Besides, it's incredibly annoying when creationists try to convert me, so I think I should not go around trying to make theists become atheists because then it would make me a hypocrite.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
02-04-2014, 12:52 PM
(31-03-2014 01:58 PM)Dean J. Smith Wrote:  First they piss you off, then they ask 'why are you so angry?'

I was having a nice drive to work, when the daily 'let a minister say something' minute came around, and he started talking about how angry atheists are. That made me angry.

There is a radio station I listen to when commuting. It's pretty good because they give traffic and weather updates frequently and you get the headlines and short summaries of what's going on in the world. So you can get at least a heads up on things without having to put in a whole lot of concentration while making your way through traffic, you can always look a particular story up later. Overall, I like it for those reasons...then scattered throughout the day comes...A Prayerful Pause. That's when I want to smash my head repeatedly on the steering wheel.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
02-04-2014, 01:39 PM
(02-04-2014 12:47 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  What I don't care about is going around trying to de-convert people. It's a waste of my time. I will treat these people the same way that I will treat people who believe in any other kind of supernatural creature/being: I will ignore it because it is not a valid argument. I wouldn't waste my time with people who believe that leprechauns are real. Besides, it's incredibly annoying when creationists try to convert me, so I think I should not go around trying to make theists become atheists because then it would make me a hypocrite.

I agree with it being largely a waste of time, but the thing is, if I so much as say something like, "I am an atheist because I have never seen any evidence for any deity," which is only an explanation, people accuse me of "disrespecting their beliefs," being "closed-minded," and "trying to deconvert people." That is doing nothing of the sort. In some circles, saying you're an atheist out loud is enough to cause offense, and at that point, I do become a bit pissed off. Or if I suggest that public prayer (like for elected officials, or in public schools) is wrong, I get people who say I'm an asshole and it's "not hurting anyone." What I am sick and fucking tired of is:
1-the idea that religion get special treatment. (For example, it's usually ok to discuss a person's view on political things, or to say you have different political views, but if question a person's religious views, you're an intolerant asshole.)
2-the idea that Christianity in the US get especially special treatment and is so normalized and ubiquitous that people call you an asshole for mentioning how much it is pushed in people's faces. (For example, people thing it's ok to have 10 commandments in public, and for politicians to talk about basing their political opinions on the bible, but if you had stuff from the koran everywhere, xians would have a shitfit to have it removed. If you had Muslim politicians basing their politics on what mohammed said, people would have a shitfit and they'd never get elected in the first place. But xians don't see the hypocrisy in that; because most monotheists believe their way is the only right way).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like amyb's post
02-04-2014, 02:11 PM
(02-04-2014 01:39 PM)amyb Wrote:  I agree with it being largely a waste of time, but the thing is, if I so much as say something like, "I am an atheist because I have never seen any evidence for any deity," which is only an explanation, people accuse me of "disrespecting their beliefs," being "closed-minded," and "trying to deconvert people." That is doing nothing of the sort. In some circles, saying you're an atheist out loud is enough to cause offense, and at that point, I do become a bit pissed off. Or if I suggest that public prayer (like for elected officials, or in public schools) is wrong, I get people who say I'm an asshole and it's "not hurting anyone." What I am sick and fucking tired of is:
1-the idea that religion get special treatment. (For example, it's usually ok to discuss a person's view on political things, or to say you have different political views, but if question a person's religious views, you're an intolerant asshole.)
2-the idea that Christianity in the US get especially special treatment and is so normalized and ubiquitous that people call you an asshole for mentioning how much it is pushed in people's faces. (For example, people thing it's ok to have 10 commandments in public, and for politicians to talk about basing their political opinions on the bible, but if you had stuff from the koran everywhere, xians would have a shitfit to have it removed. If you had Muslim politicians basing their politics on what mohammed said, people would have a shitfit and they'd never get elected in the first place. But xians don't see the hypocrisy in that; because most monotheists believe their way is the only right way).

I'm in total agreement with you. That was what I was saying in my first post was that people should not be labeled as angry simply because they are not religious and don't want religious crap forced down their throats, and they certainly shouldn't be labeled as angry when some religious person comes to them starting a conversation about religion and the atheist says why they feel the way they do.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
02-04-2014, 05:53 PM
I know. ^_^

I was on another forum recently and the following exchange took place:

Me: "Ok, so if a theist asks me why I am an atheist, and I respond by saying, 'I'm an atheist because I don't see any evidence for deities,' would that be ok? If I was specifically asked?"
Other person: "I don't think it's appropriate to say that, because you're suggesting their beliefs aren't valid."

[Headdesk] This has happened to me a lot, it just blows my mind.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like amyb's post