Getting Tired of Parents Hypocrisy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2017, 11:47 AM
Getting Tired of Parents Hypocrisy
I'm nearing 19 and my last year in college. Still living with parents as they are the only ones I can live with until I get on my feet.

However, ti's spring break one week. Often times at night on my days off form school I'll stay up at least too 4:00 or 5:00, get about 7 to 8 hours of sleep. Stander for my age

On school nights I have to be at school by 12:30, so normally I'm in bed around 1:00 or 2:00, gives me about 8 hours of sleep and still in early.

My mom seems to disagree however. 'You need to go to bed." it's almost four, granted I was about to. It's only halfway through my break week. 'Your getting into a bad habit of staying up late and getting less and less sleep. Like when you were little and woke up very early.'

I asked "Would you rather be wake up really early with little sleep or go to bed really late?"

She said early, but it was a question of like what came first the chicken or the egg.

I get that is is just looking out for me. But for my age, unlike my younger sister, I can afford to stay up late and still go to bed early for some nights. It's typically normal for a person my age to do this.
It's also why my sister wakes up so early, kids are just used to that. People like my mom, who is in her 40's, can't do this. Though, my middle sister will sleep well past what she's suppose too because she hates getting out of bed until 5 in the evening even thought she went to bed around 12:00
(Even though she'll stay up well past 4 or 5 also, take a nap, wake up for an hour, take a nap again. Which I call hypocrite on her.)

I just needed to rant about that. I makes me mad when she has this 'holy then you' complex and tells me not to do something yet does it herself because she's 'older' then me.

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2017, 12:08 PM
RE: Getting Tired of Parents Hypocrisy
Teenagers have a tendency to sleep late. That's just how it works with the teenage brain. You are also way to old to have your parents control your sleep schedule.
Make sure you get your 8 hours, your brain is still developing and needs it, and that you mind your duties and do a good job in school, then I'd say your mother should accept that you're not a child anymore.
However, you also need to prove yourself by actively engaging with your family, having a positive attitude and helping out with the house chores.
If you act like a cranky, lazy teenager, rather than a responsible young adult, then your mother is right to treat you as a child and comment on your sleep schedule.
Prove to her that you are an adult and you will be treated like an adult Smile

"I believe that while not all people are essentially good, most are trying" - Adam Savage
09-03-2017, 12:36 PM
I do as I'm ask. 'Can you do the dishes?'
'Sure thing' and I do them

'Can you help me out by getting the pan down?'
Easily done

'Can you start a load of clothes?'
And I put them in the drier after they are done.

I don't complain like my siblings. and I do my chores. Yet she still thinks I'm her child.

I get at least 8 hours, if I only get 7, I have Yoga my first class, I tend to fall asleep for a small nap during meditation XD

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
[+] 1 user Likes Ruby Crystal's post
09-03-2017, 02:03 PM
(09-03-2017 12:36 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  I do as I'm ask. 'Can you do the dishes?'
'Sure thing' and I do them

'Can you help me out by getting the pan down?'
Easily done

'Can you start a load of clothes?'
And I put them in the drier after they are done.

I don't complain like my siblings. and I do my chores. Yet she still thinks I'm her child.

I get at least 8 hours, if I only get 7, I have Yoga my first class, I tend to fall asleep for a small nap during meditation XD

You sound like exactly the kind of teenager, well almost not a teenager anymore, I hope my future children will be! Heart

You'll always be your mothers child. That's mothers. You're that little Munchkin she put into this world, she remembers your first breath, she saw you take your first step and make your first sound that could be interpreted as "mommy". I'm 30 years old and I still get anxious texts from my mother if I haven't checked in enough. They don't get over it. But clearly she needs to start realizing that while you'll always be her baby, you are in fact an adult, and it's time to stop nagging and realize that she did a good job raising you, and now you're all raised and ready to care for your own sleep needs.
I think you are entitled to gently remind her that you are all grown up and she doesn't need to worry about your bedtime anymore. Even if you do screw up your own sleep needs, that's your problem and for you to learn from. She's done her job well, seeing as you're such a wonderful young person, and now it's time for you to stand on your own feet.
I'm sure your mother is welcome to sit down with my mother and have a chat about how sad it is that the kids grow up so fast Big Grin

Also, I find it kind of funny and cute that she's nagging her 19 year old about sleep. 19. Not 12. Poor woman. She must love you. Hard to have to cut the cord.

"I believe that while not all people are essentially good, most are trying" - Adam Savage
09-03-2017, 02:08 PM
It's not always easy for parents to treat their children as adults, especially if you've been living at their house the whole time.

Not an excuse for your mother, but maybe if you're staying up very late you're making some kind of noise that also keeps her from being able to sleep? Or she's noticing things that make her believe you're more tired than normal?

Or maybe suggesting that you get more sleep is one way she thinks she can help you. It's a big transition for a parent when the child goes from high school to college. Many of us parents, even if we think we're eager for less responsibility and control of our kids, feel nervous and worried for them as they enter this new stage of their lives. And now there's a big bunch of our kid's life that we know nothing about, while the impulse to help/protect is still there...it expresses itself in odd and probably counterproductive ways.

Probably you'll continue to have points of contention and control issues until you're out of the house and paying your own bills, but fortunately it doesn't sound as if that's very far off for you at this point.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
09-03-2017, 02:35 PM
Perhaps honestly ask your mother how she was behaving when she was 19?

If she says she was the perfect girl, she's lying.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.