Getting Us Ready

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2014, 09:12 AM
Getting Us Ready
I was talking with a co worker yesterday about Star Trek. She said "when we watched it we laughed at it but look at all the technology we have now."
I couldn't help but laugh a little while I thought "that's because you have no imagination or intellect."
Anyway I made the comment that apparently Star Trek was great inspiration for a generation of scientists and engineers.
She disagreed. She claims that the US is 50 years more advanced(perhaps more) but they keep the tech under wraps. Things like zero point energy generators, transporters, anti grav... Crap like that.
The point of Trek was to get us ready for the coming of the new tech. You know microwave ovens, cell phones and automatic doors.
I work with some fucked up people I tell ya!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2014, 09:32 AM
RE: Getting Us Ready
(04-02-2014 09:12 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I was talking with a co worker yesterday about Star Trek. She said "when we watched it we laughed at it but look at all the technology we have now."
I couldn't help but laugh a little while I thought "that's because you have no imagination or intellect."
Anyway I made the comment that apparently Star Trek was great inspiration for a generation of scientists and engineers.
She disagreed. She claims that the US is 50 years more advanced(perhaps more) but they keep the tech under wraps. Things like zero point energy generators, transporters, anti grav... Crap like that.
The point of Trek was to get us ready for the coming of the new tech. You know microwave ovens, cell phones and automatic doors.

But didn't you hear that the government is hiding an engine that runs on tap water and never breaks down? They can't release it because the world's not ready for it...

Dodgy

I run into people a lot who simply don't understand the progression of technology. They seem to think that there's the giant cabal of smart people that all work for the government or big corporations and they invent stuff just so they can patent it and suppress the technology. Rolleyes

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
04-02-2014, 10:07 AM
I doubt that Star Trek was made to "get us ready" for anything.

The worlds infrastructure and energy relies heavily on oil. The whole industry is worth trillions. I imagine if somebody came along and invented some machine that would mean oil being almost redundant that there would be a lot of people and a lot of countries who would want that invention for themselves.

What effect would such an invention becoming public have on the american economy which relies heavily on its world reserve currency???

You would be fucked overnight.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
04-02-2014, 10:10 AM
What these people don't ever ask themselves is who works on this supposedly advanced technology for the US?

Do they have scientists on their payroll that are not allowed to work elsewhere no matter how much they are offered? Does the US government kill any scientist leaving their employment?

The answer is no (at least, not all the time). Therefore scientists working in industry and academia have a good idea of generally how advanced military technology is. Some of those scientists have worked for their respective governments as well and have first hand experience.
04-02-2014, 10:16 AM
(04-02-2014 10:07 AM)bemore Wrote:  What effect would such an invention becoming public have on the american economy which relies heavily on its world reserve currency???

You would be fucked overnight.

Um...no? Just changing the oil for the 'magic thing' over night won't change the massive infrastructure that goes along with oil. Not to mention that said 'magic thing' is not said to replace coal...which, along with natural gas, is the major supplier of electricity...not , y'know, oil.

Jus' sayin'.

Very much cheers to all
10-02-2014, 11:09 PM
(04-02-2014 10:10 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  What these people don't ever ask themselves is who works on this supposedly advanced technology for the US?

Aliens apparently. I saw a video claiming that governments are secretly in contact with aliens and the aliens give them technology. There's a stealth jet/bomber that's so cool supposedly it was one of the items of exchange.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
27-02-2014, 12:10 AM
(04-02-2014 09:12 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I was talking with a co worker yesterday about Star Trek. She said "when we watched it we laughed at it but look at all the technology we have now."

Laugh out load This is the same crap that people have been saying *for 50 years* (Star Trek was conceived 1964, ok, but not aired until 1966). I remember as a kid growing up in the 70's, people said the same shit - that transporters, phasers, cloaking devices, force fields, unlimited energy dilithium crystals, etc., actually existed off in some government lab somewhere. The closest thing we had to any of this, was the laser. But you know, lasers really are kind of cool.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.