Getting a Second Dog

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2013, 08:19 PM
Getting a Second Dog
I have a neighbor who recently bought a German Shepherd puppy from a breeder. His wife is not too thrilled with the dog and they are considering turning the pup over to a shelter or another family friend. I've thought about adopting the puppy myself as a second dog around the house.

But I'm not sure if its a good idea.

I already own a German Shepherd dog (8 yrs old) so I know about the breed and what's required to care for one. What I don't want is to get a puppy who overpowers and possibly bullies my current dog in the autumn years of his life. It also would be another cost, more dog food, more medical care, more bags of shit to scoop up, etc.

But it's a cute pup. Young, bright eyes, loves to learn new things and wants to please. He would make a great addition to the home.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-08-2013, 08:20 PM
RE: Getting a Second Dog
Puppy puppy puppy!!!!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-08-2013, 08:57 PM
Why don't you introduce them before deciding. The puppy will probably be submissive to the older dog. The older dog may be less tolerant but probably not. I have an older female golden retriever who is not too thrilled with other dogs but she will take a lot of shit from a puppy without over-reacting. It's worth a shot.
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
30-08-2013, 09:23 PM
Minimalist makes a great suggestion, introduce them. A coworker recently got a 2nd Shepherd and the pup gets along wonderfully with his older one. (Both rescues btw, one literally off the side of the road).

However, if you have doubts...don't. You have to be committed to having another dog and willing to accept everything that goes with it.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy