Getting "de-baptised" from the Othodox Church

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-12-2014, 07:55 AM
Getting "de-baptised" from the Othodox Church
Hi everyone,

Haven’t posted in a forum for many, many years, so apologies in case there's any lack of net etiquette below. :-)

I was baptised into the Greek Orthodox Church without my consent - as in most cases. My parents aren't particularly religious and this was only done under social pressure.

As I've identified as an atheist for the past 20 years, I decided it's time I took the plunge (no pun intended) and get myself "de-baptised".

I've already done the following (ongoing since February 14):
- Sent a letter (by post) to the institution I was baptised in and have followed up (also provided by baptism certificate). It's worth noting that the letter I sent was signed for – so they have received it.
- Followed up again by email several times with no response from them.

I have referenced data protection concerns in all my correspondence (for reference, I live in the EU), and after receiving no response from the church on any of the above, I have reported them to the Information Commissioners Office.

I have not heard back from the ICO yet, but to be honest, I'm quite sure I do not have a case as far as Data Protection is concerned. In a nut-shell, I don't think they are required by law to remove my data from their records.

I feel I’ve now hit a wall and do not know where to go from here. Has anyone on this forum managed to leave the Church successfully? I'd be super grateful for any advise you can offer on the issue.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this!
A.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2014, 10:08 AM
RE: Getting "de-baptised" from the Othodox Church
[Image: debaptism-with-edwin-kagan.jpg]

I debaptize you in the name of science and reason.

The Freedom from religion foundation has a certificate you can printout and put on your wall. Definitely gave me the giggles when I first saw it.

I don't know how to help with getting your record "expunged" of sorts, but I think this is maybe the next best thing. Big Grin

I'm technically still an inactive member of a church. Consider I may give them a call when I come out of the closet.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 3 users Like Nurse's post
12-12-2014, 10:12 AM

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
12-12-2014, 10:15 AM
Why is this even necessary? They have silly, meaningless rituals and you want to engage in their ritual for a takeback of baptism?

Next time it's mentioned, do this to the person asking:

[Image: Young-boy-thumbs-his-nose-005.jpg]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
12-12-2014, 10:18 AM
Lol!

Yeah, I found many references of de-baptism ceremonies and public announcement, etc. But what I want is to remove myself from their records completely - i.e. When the church sprouts their membership numbers, I don't want to be one of these numbers.

The Orthodox Church insists no holding onto an obsolete doctrine where gay people, women and non-Christians are second-class humans. I feel sick inside for being part of this institution.
12-12-2014, 10:58 AM
I think, if being de-baptised is a ritual or process that will give you closure, help symbolically remove the taint of religion from your life, then you should pursue whatever options you have available. It's a little unclear to me if what you want them to do is declare you formally un-baptized (they may not actually have any such ritual or process) or physically remove you from their records, or both?

If you want your name and information removed from their register of baptisms, I suppose it makes sense but I'm not sure what that would accomplish. Many generations from now, someone in your family may attempt to do a geneaology, to trace your family's lineage back. My father-in-law does this as a hobby, and often times baptism records are a key resource, they prove who your parents were and that you lived in a certain area at a certain time.

Anyway if the point is more symbolic I can understand that to a degree but at the same time, if you don't believe there's a god, then essentially your baptism was just a man pouring water on your head; no more meaningful than any bath or shower you've taken since then. Why beat yourself up about it?
12-12-2014, 10:59 AM
They want numbers so they'll never let you claim to be de-baptised

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
12-12-2014, 11:04 AM
This link seems to be saying that it's automatic if you haven't attended for a while:

Leaving The Eastern Orthodox Church

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
12-12-2014, 11:05 AM
Can you call them up and ask them to remove your membership from their roster because you've joined an unorthodox church?

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman