Getting help; an FT rambling.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-06-2016, 06:17 PM
RE: Getting help; an FT rambling.
(15-06-2016 06:13 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I have an appointment with the psych again today, and I'm feeling really anxious about it.

I really don't want to admit to that panic attack. I don't want to think about it. But in the interest of keeping things on track, I know I should talk to her about it.

I read the referral letter my doc wrote up for me to get me 4 extra sessions with the psych (bloody government makes getting mental health unnecessarily hoopy). under my conditions being treated, she had wrote depression and ASD, which is good. I've been trying to get myself to talk to her about what she knew of getting my ASD diagnosis confirmed but I haven't been able to make myself talk about it...
I want to get that done this appointment, but the thought of broaching the subject is adding to my anxiety...

Doesn't help that my nerves stopped me from getting a good night sleep last night...

Well, think me luck today, guys. Get a few hours before the appointment to calm myself. Or go insane again. Whichever happens.

They can't help you if they don't know what's going on. You really need to talk about it.

Take some deep breaths. They are trying to help you, let them.

Heart

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-06-2016, 06:31 PM (This post was last modified: 15-06-2016 06:47 PM by GirlyMan.)
I used to get anxious about delivering presentations in front of world renowned experts on a topic I was barely familiar with and then I realized they have zero fucking impact on my salary. I do my best not to go full PG County prick in response to an obvious arrogant prick, sometimes I fail. Those times I fail my boss has always given me a bonus. Thumbsup

#sigh
15-06-2016, 06:35 PM (This post was last modified: 15-06-2016 06:50 PM by GirlyMan.)
(15-06-2016 06:13 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I have an appointment with the psych again today, and I'm feeling really anxious about it.

I really don't want to admit to that panic attack. I don't want to think about it. But in the interest of keeping things on track, I know I should talk to her about it.

I read the referral letter my doc wrote up for me to get me 4 extra sessions with the psych (bloody government makes getting mental health unnecessarily hoopy). under my conditions being treated, she had wrote depression and ASD, which is good. I've been trying to get myself to talk to her about what she knew of getting my ASD diagnosis confirmed but I haven't been able to make myself talk about it...
I want to get that done this appointment, but the thought of broaching the subject is adding to my anxiety...

Doesn't help that my nerves stopped me from getting a good night sleep last night...

Well, think me luck today, guys. Got a few hours before the appointment to calm myself. Or go insane again. Whichever happens.

Sounds like you are having a panic attack over facing your shrink and telling them everything. You got HIPPA protection. Tell your shrink everything. Shamans ain't got no blood tests to guide their treatments, all they got is your symptoms and their experience.

#sigh
15-06-2016, 06:58 PM
Another thing to think about is that if they can help you, they can only help with what they know about.

The more honest you are with them, the better chance your future has for success.

Remember, they are there to judge you in a sense, but only for the chance to make you better. Give them what they need to help you.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
15-06-2016, 07:09 PM
Just got a text saying my psych is sick. Earliest she'd be free next is on the 5th of July... So I guess I'll whine again on the 5th.

I actually feel much better now.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
15-06-2016, 07:20 PM
(15-06-2016 07:09 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Just got a text saying my psych is sick. Earliest she'd be free next is on the 5th of July... So I guess I'll whine again on the 5th.

I actually feel much better now.

That is so good to hear! Thumbsup

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
15-06-2016, 07:24 PM

Well, think me luck today, guys. Got a few hours before the appointment to calm myself. Or go insane again. Whichever happens.

I'm always thinking of you. Heart

You know that. And if you ever think otherwise I'll fly there and give you some real worries. Tongue

Good luck on the 5th love!!!!

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
15-06-2016, 08:29 PM
Bite the bullet and get it done. I had all these issues when I was younger. I recommend that you find a non-threatening group to present in front of, such as Toast Masters. Back in the time that I was a closet non-believer, I volunteered for the Boy Scouts of America specifically to help with my public speaking skills while having educational fun with my sons. It was win-win. I learned how to present in front of a crowd, which helped when I taught high school (I'll call it "crowd control", after I was laid off from my engineer job. Maybe there is something like that where you are. Little kids always look up to the "big kids". You're not a "kid", but just a thought. You are smart, so you can learn these life skills.

Note that you may NEVER actually like public speaking, but you CAN learn how to deal with it effectively.
16-06-2016, 12:06 AM
(15-06-2016 08:29 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Bite the bullet and get it done. I had all these issues when I was younger. I recommend that you find a non-threatening group to present in front of, such as Toast Masters. Back in the time that I was a closet non-believer, I volunteered for the Boy Scouts of America specifically to help with my public speaking skills while having educational fun with my sons. It was win-win. I learned how to present in front of a crowd, which helped when I taught high school (I'll call it "crowd control", after I was laid off from my engineer job. Maybe there is something like that where you are. Little kids always look up to the "big kids". You're not a "kid", but just a thought. You are smart, so you can learn these life skills.

Note that you may NEVER actually like public speaking, but you CAN learn how to deal with it effectively.

I'm afraid that (bullet)train is long-gone. As I said, the lecture ended before my group was to do their presentation, and the next week, nobody showed up for the lecture, don't know why but nobody at all showed up. So that presentation is gone.

I did manage to attend and do my part in the other presentation I had. I don't feel it went very well though. Took waaay too long, and I kept tripping up over myself. At least the group lead was more than competent to cover the question period...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
06-07-2016, 05:07 AM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2016 05:14 AM by Free Thought.)
Saw the psych yesterday as planned.

The day did not go too well to start; I was a little too close to missing the appointment than I would have liked because I was sick halfway... Anxiety about admitting to that attack mostly. (does that count as irony? Nah.)

It was not easy to talk about the attack, and she noticed. I'm still getting used to the whole 'letting people know what's going on in my head' thing, and it's still a bit of an active struggle to keep from raising my 'everything is fine' shield. It's just another age-old habit I'll have to push my way through.

She was very insistent that I keep in mind that I've 'made so many steps forward' with being able to attend my practicals and tutorials etc; one stumble or step back doesn't invalidate all the progress. She understood that my confidence was/is a bit shot after that. Apparently it was 'awesome' that on the day after the major attack, I was able to give a different presentation.
She recommended that next time I have an attack so bad the normal deep breathing exercise doesn't cut it, I should mask my mouth in my hands and breath; makes it easier to hear, and steady, breathing.

I finally managed to ask her about getting my ASD diagnosis confirmed. She seemed a bit surprised at first, I think she forgot that the doc had written it in as an ongoing issue requiring treatment for a bit. I told her that I'd like to undergo diagnosis for it, since it was first recommended that I be properly tested by a shrink in Year 8, and she agreed that it would be a good thing to look into; my anxiety was her primary focus since it was the symptom of mine the most actively interfered with my life. But now she thinks I've got that under-wraps, so it would be good if we moved to something else and getting the diagnosis done seems a good place to start.
She will gather up some screening tests to run me through on my next appointment, and depending on the results of the screen, she'll refer me up to an organisation called Autism SA. Basically the state's largest ASD diagnostic/treatment group.

In the mean time I should relax and focus on coping with my new semester.

I've decided to take a year off from two of my topics if possible. Failing them twice in a row is a bit of a morale hit and I'd like to regroup and focus on my other subjects.

Just want to end this update with a sincere thanks to everybody who has replied to this thread in one way or another and extended themselves to me should I need them. The support is greatly appreciated and of incalculable value. The people of the forum are largely what keep me going on my bad days.

[+] 4 users Like Free Thought's post