Getting help; an FT rambling.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-07-2016, 05:20 AM
RE: Getting help; an FT rambling.
(06-07-2016 05:07 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Saw the psych yesterday as planned.

The day did not go too well to start; I was a little too close to missing the appointment than I would have liked because I was sick halfway... Anxiety about admitting to that attack mostly. (does that count as irony? Nah.)

It was not easy to talk about the attack, and she noticed. I'm still getting used to the whole 'letting people know what's going on in my head' thing, and it's still a bit of an active struggle to keep from raising my 'everything is fine' shield. It's just another age-old habit I'll have to push my way through.

She was very insistent that I keep in mind that I've 'made so many steps forward' with being able to attend my practicals and tutorials etc; one stumble or step back doesn't invalidate all the progress. She understood that my confidence was/is a bit shot after that. Apparently it was 'awesome' that on the day after the major attack, I was able to give a different presentation.
She recommended that next time I have an attack so bad the normal deep breathing exercise doesn't cut it, I should mask my mouth in my hands and breath; makes it easier to hear, and steady, breathing.

I finally managed to ask her about getting my ASD diagnosis confirmed. She seemed a bit surprised at first, I think she forgot that the doc had written it in as an ongoing issue requiring treatment for a bit. I told her that I'd like to undergo diagnosis for it, since it was first recommended that I be properly tested by a shrink in Year 8, and she agreed that it would be a good thing to look into; my anxiety was her primary focus since it was the symptom of mine the most actively interfered with my life. But now she thinks I've got that under-wraps, so it would be good if we moved to something else and getting the diagnosis done seems a good place to start.
She will gather up some screening tests to run me through on my next appointment, and depending on the results of the screen, she'll refer me up to an organisation called Autism SA. Basically the state's largest ASD diagnostic/treatment group.

In the mean time I should relax and focus on coping with my new semester.

I've decided to take a year off from two of my topics if possible. Failing them twice in a row is a bit of a morale hit and I'd like to regroup and focus on my other subjects.

Just want to end this update with a sincere thanks to everybody who has replied to this thread in one way or another and extended themselves to me should I need them. The support is greatly appreciated and of incalculable value. The people of the forum are largely what keep me going on my bad days.

I sure hope you keep on with your photography. You have taken some very nice pictures. Thumbsup

Sounds like you have a good doctor...just make sure you give her the information she needs to help you.

You got this. Smile

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
06-07-2016, 11:57 AM
Big Grin Hug

[+] 2 users Like Escape Artist's post
06-07-2016, 08:27 PM
(06-07-2016 05:20 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(06-07-2016 05:07 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Saw the psych yesterday as planned.

The day did not go too well to start; I was a little too close to missing the appointment than I would have liked because I was sick halfway... Anxiety about admitting to that attack mostly. (does that count as irony? Nah.)

It was not easy to talk about the attack, and she noticed. I'm still getting used to the whole 'letting people know what's going on in my head' thing, and it's still a bit of an active struggle to keep from raising my 'everything is fine' shield. It's just another age-old habit I'll have to push my way through.

She was very insistent that I keep in mind that I've 'made so many steps forward' with being able to attend my practicals and tutorials etc; one stumble or step back doesn't invalidate all the progress. She understood that my confidence was/is a bit shot after that. Apparently it was 'awesome' that on the day after the major attack, I was able to give a different presentation.
She recommended that next time I have an attack so bad the normal deep breathing exercise doesn't cut it, I should mask my mouth in my hands and breath; makes it easier to hear, and steady, breathing.

I finally managed to ask her about getting my ASD diagnosis confirmed. She seemed a bit surprised at first, I think she forgot that the doc had written it in as an ongoing issue requiring treatment for a bit. I told her that I'd like to undergo diagnosis for it, since it was first recommended that I be properly tested by a shrink in Year 8, and she agreed that it would be a good thing to look into; my anxiety was her primary focus since it was the symptom of mine the most actively interfered with my life. But now she thinks I've got that under-wraps, so it would be good if we moved to something else and getting the diagnosis done seems a good place to start.
She will gather up some screening tests to run me through on my next appointment, and depending on the results of the screen, she'll refer me up to an organisation called Autism SA. Basically the state's largest ASD diagnostic/treatment group.

In the mean time I should relax and focus on coping with my new semester.

I've decided to take a year off from two of my topics if possible. Failing them twice in a row is a bit of a morale hit and I'd like to regroup and focus on my other subjects.

Just want to end this update with a sincere thanks to everybody who has replied to this thread in one way or another and extended themselves to me should I need them. The support is greatly appreciated and of incalculable value. The people of the forum are largely what keep me going on my bad days.

I sure hope you keep on with your photography. You have taken some very nice pictures. Thumbsup

Sounds like you have a good doctor...just make sure you give her the information she needs to help you.

You got this. Smile

Thanks, Anje. I'll keep up with my picture taking, unfortunately I don't get too many opportunities to get 'good' shots of things. I'll be heading out of town on the 15th so I've sure to find more shot opportunities way out on the Yorke Peninsula.
People seem to say my photos are good more often than might be believable...

I think my psych is pretty good; she listens and remembers appointment to appointment, she's not pushy or forceful or judgemental, and she doesn't try to excuse my faults and problems away but rather look at them and look for ways to deal with them.

I'm feeling okay today. It's nice

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 8 users Like Free Thought's post
06-07-2016, 08:29 PM
(06-07-2016 08:27 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I'm feeling okay today. It's nice

Thumbsup

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
06-07-2016, 09:15 PM
Keep up the good work.

Anxiety is a total bitch.

Heart

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

24-07-2016, 08:18 AM
Uni starts again tomorrow. I am feeling nervous about my topics for this semester. One in particular has got me feeling a a bit more off than the rest. So I'm looking at topics based on Disease and Immunology, Evolution and Genetics, and Biology and Society.

That last one is an introduction to popular biological science communication, basically. And it is very interactive apparently, so it is a little concerning. It's all about establishing a basis to communicate science to the masses, so it will have a lot of argumentation built in the build communication and critical thinking skills. And that's what has got my most off balance.

Not by much, I want to stress; I'm a little off kilter, but nothing major. I'll be fine.

I was looking forward to meeting my psych on the 2nd, but it had to be moved back to the 24th due to my schedule.

Just thought I'd throw an update out. Doing okay.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 5 users Like Free Thought's post
24-07-2016, 08:32 AM
(24-07-2016 08:18 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Uni starts again tomorrow. I am feeling nervous about my topics for this semester. One in particular has got me feeling a a bit more off than the rest. So I'm looking at topics based on Disease and Immunology, Evolution and Genetics, and Biology and Society.

That last one is an introduction to popular biological science communication, basically. And it is very interactive apparently, so it is a little concerning. It's all about establishing a basis to communicate science to the masses, so it will have a lot of argumentation built in the build communication and critical thinking skills. And that's what has got my most off balance.

Not by much, I want to stress; I'm a little off kilter, but nothing major. I'll be fine.

I was looking forward to meeting my psych on the 2nd, but it had to be moved back to the 24th due to my schedule.

Doing okay is okay! Thumbsup

You got this. Smile

[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
24-07-2016, 10:02 AM
Glad to hear this! Keep on...

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

24-07-2016, 10:23 AM
(24-07-2016 08:18 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Uni starts again tomorrow. I am feeling nervous about my topics for this semester. One in particular has got me feeling a a bit more off than the rest. So I'm looking at topics based on Disease and Immunology, Evolution and Genetics, and Biology and Society.

Good to hear! Keep on trucking! Smile

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
06-09-2016, 03:44 PM
Had a complete meltdown yesterday and I feel like total garbage because of it.
I just felt overwhelmed and couldn't keep together any more.

I've been dealing with motivation issues again lately. Then I got sick. When that mostly stopped I found I needed new specs. Which will take me months at the current rate will take a good amount of time to pay off.
Then my PC died out of nowhere. Even more money I don't have down the drain.
I just went mad and threw a screaming crying temper tantrum like a fucking child that didn't get their chocolate or something stupid like that. I feel pathetic. What kind of adult does that because their PC died?

To make matters worse, I caused my brother to miss his driving lesson, and my mother came home hours early from work.
I messed up two other people's days because I am too weak to keep myself in check over shit like that.

I just couldn't stop the thought "what will go wrong next?" from repeating in my head. Will one of the cats get sick or escape? House burn?

It's not right to undersell the importance of that PC to me: it is the sole thing in my life that I feel I can actually be somewhat proud of. I saved the cash together and of my own will cobbled a computer together. It functions as my lifeline; giving me my escape from reality when I need one, it links me to people I can more freely talk to.
And then it just dies. And after a few minutes of my head swirling, bang goes the dynamite.
Just needed for cent my frustration at my own stupidity. Speak later. Please forgive any wording errors, have to write on my iPod