Getting help; an FT rambling.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-07-2017, 08:00 AM
RE: Getting help; an FT rambling.
Time fro another "I need to mindlessly babble" necro...

I'm having another one of those 'where am I standing' moments.. again. Can't be sure if I'm progressing, backsliding, or just haven't moved at all lately.... again...

My mood has been pretty stable, but I haven't felt great. Just meh with a side of 'why am I so unlucky I had to wake up' every now and then.

Last few days have been different though. Got sick so that made me feel worse. But more impacting than that has been the onset of Uni again, which I'm now two weeks into and not looking forward to going deeper in, and more than that is my impending ASD test.

urghhh... It's been about 8-9 years in the waiting. I can finally get the test done, and the time is rapidly approaching; ~39 hours left. I'm getting increasingly anxious about it. I don't know what to expect, and I hate that. I have no idea how the diagnostics are done, how long it will take, what will be expected of me... I don't feel good thinking about it... I sdhould try and fail to sleep now..

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-07-2017, 08:37 AM
(31-07-2017 08:00 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Time fro another "I need to mindlessly babble" necro...

I'm having another one of those 'where am I standing' moments.. again. Can't be sure if I'm progressing, backsliding, or just haven't moved at all lately.... again...

My mood has been pretty stable, but I haven't felt great. Just meh with a side of 'why am I so unlucky I had to wake up' every now and then.

Last few days have been different though. Got sick so that made me feel worse. But more impacting than that has been the onset of Uni again, which I'm now two weeks into and not looking forward to going deeper in, and more than that is my impending ASD test.

urghhh... It's been about 8-9 years in the waiting. I can finally get the test done, and the time is rapidly approaching; ~39 hours left. I'm getting increasingly anxious about it. I don't know what to expect, and I hate that. I have no idea how the diagnostics are done, how long it will take, what will be expected of me... I don't feel good thinking about it... I sdhould try and fail to sleep now..

ASD = ? Is it autism spectrum disorder, or is it something else entirely?

Assuming it's the first kind of ASD testing, if you're anxious about the specifics, let the testers know that. They should be happy to answer your questions and let you know what to expect. You're the client as well as the patient; you have more control in the situation than you may realize.

If it's a different kind of ASD, best of luck with the test, whatever it entails...but I'd still recommend you ask questions beforehand so that you'll know what's going to happen.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
31-07-2017, 09:11 AM
Yeah it's an autism diagnostic examinationything

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
31-07-2017, 09:47 AM
(31-07-2017 09:11 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Yeah it's an autism diagnostic examinationything

Take a practice test. Smile

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
31-07-2017, 10:17 AM
(31-07-2017 09:11 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Yeah it's an autism diagnostic examinationything

Okay. Been through the process as a parent, and am on the spectrum myself.

In that case, a couple of further comments, building on my you-are-the-client statement.

Going through a formal diagnosis process is a positive step, even if it feels scary. No matter what the outcome, you'll have more insight and information about yourself. If it turns out you're on the spectrum, maybe you'll benefit from some of the tools and techniques that work for other ASD people. If it turns out you're not on the spectrum, then you've ruled out that possibility.

The testing evaluates you on this day at this point in your life. It's a snapshot, not a life sentence, and its point is to help you improve your life. Ask questions about how to use the information and what the next steps should be.
Hug
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
31-07-2017, 11:48 AM
(31-07-2017 09:47 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Take a practice test. Smile

Not surprisingly, I rate a strong indication of some form of ASD, according to that test. Do one get drugs for it? I wouldn't want drugs.

BoT, good luck with your diagnosis, FreeThought .
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
01-08-2017, 04:07 PM
(31-07-2017 10:17 AM)julep Wrote:  

Okay. Been through the process as a parent, and am on the spectrum myself.

In that case, a couple of further comments, building on my you-are-the-client statement.

Going through a formal diagnosis process is a positive step, even if it feels scary. No matter what the outcome, you'll have more insight and information about yourself. If it turns out you're on the spectrum, maybe you'll benefit from some of the tools and techniques that work for other ASD people. If it turns out you're not on the spectrum, then you've ruled out that possibility.

The testing evaluates you on this day at this point in your life. It's a snapshot, not a life sentence, and its point is to help you improve your life. Ask questions about how to use the information and what the next steps should be.
Hug

Thanks , I'll try to keep this in mind while trying to hold myself together.

... wonder if I could bring my camera with me to the waiting area... I'll need the distraction

02-08-2017, 01:04 AM
Well, I'm home now from the interview testthingy. I'll just give us all a minute to prepare for rounds of "I told you so" ... Okay, ready?

I have autism. In about 4 weeks I'll get the diagnostic report in the mail and then it will be official.

After around about 8 years since the first recommendation, it feels good to know the truth.

[+] 7 users Like Free Thought's post
02-08-2017, 01:34 AM
(02-08-2017 01:04 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  After around about 8 years since the first recommendation, it feels good to know the truth.

How come it took so long???

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
02-08-2017, 01:56 AM
(02-08-2017 01:34 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(02-08-2017 01:04 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  After around about 8 years since the first recommendation, it feels good to know the truth.

How come it took so long???

It's a bit of a story... Back in year 8 I wasn't performing well, so at the end of the year, the high school administration organised preliminary disability testing for me to undergo; the person that administered the test concluded in his report that I was 'likely to be on the Autism Spectrum, and presented signs consistent with Dyscalculia' but the report was never followed up on because 'we couldn't afford it' so nothing was ever verified or done about it.
Fast forward to a few months ahead two years back, I'm talking to the uni councillor about my difficulties and I mention the report. That along side my other symptoms gets me bumped to Uni Doc, who sends me to two psychs for diagnosis; one says social phobia and generalised anxiety disorder, the other autism spectrum disorder.
Fast forward again to this time last year; I finally speak with Reg Psych about getting the ASD potential looked at as at that point my anxiety and depression were under wraps, though as it turned out not for long as we know... anyway, she refers me to AutismSA for diagnosis, and after months they finally get back to me and make today's appointment mid-late last year. Because they are the only group in the state which offers diagnostics for ASD, they are probably busy.

Now we're done. I'm officially a spesshiel prehson.

[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post