Getting help; an FT rambling.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-08-2017, 02:45 AM
RE: Getting help; an FT rambling.
(05-08-2017 02:14 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I won't have documentation of the ASD diagnosis for 3-4 weeks, my response deadline is the 18th of this month.
You can tell them that you have been diagnosed and don't have the documentation. Uni administrators are human, they understand that you might not have everything to hand. I'd respond before the deadline - don't wait 'til the last moment. Give yourself a deadline of say the 16th.

Quote:I need qualifications for basically any job I could realistically do, which I'd get via uni or a similar program, even trade work.
I dunno. I've recently signed up with a crowd - freelancer.com. Haven't yet done any work for them and am a bit sceptical, but there are lots of jobs listed there. Pay isn't great for most of the jobs, but it's a way to make money. There must be other ways to earn money too, that aren't completely predicated on having a uni degree.

Quote:I lose uni, I lose everything I get over the last two and a half apparently wasted years. Doc? Gone. Psychs? Gone. Ability to buy my own damn food and help keep a roof over my immediate family's heads? Fucking gone.

Everything would be easier if I could just lay down and not wake. Why bother with the effort if all I get is more fails on my record.
I'm sorry man. I know it must be rough right now. We're here to listen. But ja. I feel... it's not lost *yet*. Don't make yourself fail by assuming that you'll fail. Fight for your place at uni. It's a hearing - they haven't summarily chucked you out. That means they're willing to give you a chance. If they were just doing it for formality they could have said "Toodles old chap, don't bother coming back".

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2017, 03:42 AM
When I see my doc on Monday I'll try to get an appointment with a counsellor to help em sort the stuff out and figure out what I'll do....
Not that I expect anything to help.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
05-08-2017, 06:47 AM
Hi, you had a dupe post and I deleted the second one.

Definitely go ahead, documentation or not.

I used to hire off the web from places like freelancer all the time, some of the jobs full time and lasting years, some just projects.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
05-08-2017, 02:09 PM
(05-08-2017 03:42 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  When I see my doc on Monday I'll try to get an appointment with a counsellor to help em sort the stuff out and figure out what I'll do....
Not that I expect anything to help.

You might be able to put it off because of your disability diagnosis that will be official soon.

Ask your doc to also intercede, write a letter, something.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

05-08-2017, 02:24 PM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2017 06:19 PM by GirlyMan.)
(02-08-2017 02:25 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Additionally I may be able to take extra government funding for disability.

Why? Some of the most brilliant and productive members of the species were on the extreme end of the spectrum - Einstein, Mozart, Newton, Jefferson, Michelangelo, Warholl, Dickinson, ...

(02-08-2017 02:25 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I'm not fond of the idea myself, but if I did qualify and take it, it would make life easier for the whole house. And it may make work prospects more manageable in the future that is, hooray, disability rights!

Fair enough, but being on the spectrum ain't gonna get you disability in the US. ... Wait, you're an Aussie, right? Dunno 'bout that then.

#sigh
05-08-2017, 02:45 PM
If you can get help that will make your life easier...that's a good thing.

Let the people who are trying to help you do just that.

Heart

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
05-08-2017, 05:59 PM
(04-08-2017 11:56 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Out the fucking window go my good feels.

Just got an email from my uni... My progress is unsatisfactory, and unless I can prove to some committee that I deserve to continue my degree, I'm going to be kicked out.

I have no right to be surprised by this. I've been a failure my entire life, no reason to expect that to ever change, least of all not now. I should have expected this. It's what wastes of time and resources like me deserve. I knew this would be the ultimate result of my enrolling at uni when I was first doing the paperwork, but I did it anyway.

Why should I even try anyway. I should just give up. I'm clearly not meant to do anything by waste shit. I thought maybe this would be the semester I got back on track. Clearly it wont be. Why bother any more.

That's a hard thing to hear, and I hope that if you want to fight the decision, you win. After all, you've just received an official diagnosis that puts your prior history in a different light.

However, not making it through college on your first try happens to a lot of people.* It's no indictment of you as a thinker or human. I imagine it feels like you've just put yourself through the diagnosis process, taking a big chance, and simultaneously you've received this threat, and you don't feel like you have the energy to keep going. Here's where, if you have supportive parent(s)/friends, you might want to ask for some support. And if that's not forthcoming, turn to the professionals who counsel you. I'm sure they'll be willing to write you letters of support or talk to people for you.

It's natural for you to want time to absorb all of the new information you've received lately. Possibly not going to happen, though, and I know you can deal. You're a strong person.

*I didn't make it through undergrad. I was busy having a nervous breakdown. Neither did my sister or my brother. All three of us left the colleges we'd chosen without degrees. So did my mother and father, years before. Yet all five of us have returned to university in later years, and all of us have achieved graduate degrees. I got my MFA without ever finishing undergrad--a terminal degree allowing me to teach college, which I did for a while. My mother and father both eventually became college professors. My brother has an MBA. My sister has a masters in biology.
05-08-2017, 06:03 PM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2017 06:21 PM by GirlyMan.)
(04-08-2017 11:56 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Out the fucking window go my good feels.

Just got an email from my uni... My progress is unsatisfactory, and unless I can prove to some committee that I deserve to continue my degree, I'm going to be kicked out.

Contest your dismissal on the basis of your diagnosis. It'll buy you enough time to finish and render the matter moot, which is precisely how they would prefer the matter to remain rendered.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
05-08-2017, 06:10 PM
(05-08-2017 06:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Contest your dismissal on the basis of your diagnosis. It'll buy you enough time to finish and render the question moot, which is precisely how they would prefer the question to remain.

Yes, what Girly said. contest on the basis of your diagnosis.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
05-08-2017, 06:33 PM
(05-08-2017 03:42 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Not that I expect anything to help.

You under-appreciate the level of our pharmachological technology.

#sigh