Getting help; an FT rambling.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2017, 06:53 PM
RE: Getting help; an FT rambling.
(06-08-2017 06:07 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I took that test and got 35. I kind of figured that I was on the spectrum, but only recently. It took me 6-1/2 years to get a 4-year degree. Of course I had a job, which cut into study time. Given how my sons' lives are going (two with diagnoses of ADD), I'm thinking that getting tested for Asperger's Syndrome might not be a bad idea.

That was my score, too. (was not a surprise)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2017, 07:18 PM
(06-08-2017 05:44 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  As for holding out hope... it's not easy.

Oh, god, I know, my friend! And then hope hurts more than not having had any in the first place...

But... what else are we going to do? "Hoping for the best but expecting the worst" - has worked for me all this time. Mostly.

Do go to the counselor and do try to attend some lectures - if nothing else, something to occupy the mind definitely helps. Even if it's not something particularly enjoyable. Again, the voice of experience here...

It's just, we have no guarantees things are going to work out (I would say I envy religious people this particular self-delusion, but really, I don't), but you know what, just putting one foot in front of the other, and then again, is sometimes enough. We just keep trying different things, until something works out. For a while. Somewhat.

You know, I didn't have problems like this with uni, but after I left my job of nearly 6 years because I thought I'd maybe move to Portugal (and because the idea of staying at this job for the next 10 years, much I liked the work, scared me witless)... and then came back, jobless and with NO idea what to do next... and then quit another job after three DAYS (for various reasons, even though it was well-paid) and spent the next several months the most depressed I'd been after I'd deconverted... Wasn't easy, felt like a failure with absolutely no idea what to do and where my life was headed (other than down the crapper), and then, a couple of jobs I'd never thought I'd be doing later, in a moment of desperation at a lousy job, I sent my resume to all publishing houses in Bulgaria... only two or three replied and yet, I'd been with one of them ever since... Did I think things will work out? No! Did I feel lost and often hopeless? Hell yes.

If I were to give any advice, it would be, do not lose all hope, for life in general... but do not put too much hope in any one thing (or person). Then, if it doesn't work, it would be easier to pick up the pieces and move on.

All in all, you're still very young, you still have time for trial and error. Actually this is EXACTLY the time for trial and error. Please, do not see the error part as the end of everything. Because it really isn't. There'll be other trials. And other errors Wink And successes too!

(If you need an ear or anything, you know where I am. At least in the virtual world Rolleyes )

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
06-08-2017, 08:25 PM
I just finished the appointment with my doc. She said she'd write in my support and provide necessary documentation regarding my mental issues and the effects they have. She'll also try to speak with a counsellor I've seen before to get an earlier appointment than she currently has available, given the limited timeframe. They'll call me if anything comes up. For the meantime I'm going home. My iPod and phone are approach death.

Also, I'm getting biopsy'd on Thursday due to a rash that is getting worse. Not looking forward to it, but better safe than sorry.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
08-08-2017, 08:42 PM
My doc has written a letter in support of my case and will send it tomorrow after I confirm the recipient with her at an appointment. The counsellor recommended to her that I see a disability advisor to get everything sorted, so I will. Unfortunately I could only get an appointment on Tuesday next week so I'll be cutting it close to the deadline...

I'm not feeling great about all this. Super nervous about my biopsy tomorrow too.

Plus I have a lab today that I'm anxious about.
This has not been a great week for me.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
08-08-2017, 10:58 PM
I'm a coward. I ran from my lab. A minute or two of standing around confused and then I bolted. Just walked out the door.

We had to self select into groups to give presentations on animal experiment ethics requests we were given. I couldn't integrate. I froze. Everybody immediately sorted into their groups and I was left alone. The anxiety and awkwardness took hold and I left.

Of course in leaving I would up at the site of my major anxiety attack. I can feel an upset outburst welling in my stomach. I need to leave uni for now. I can't go back. Have to go home and calm down.

I hate that I have these moments. Hate this.

09-08-2017, 01:41 AM
(08-08-2017 10:58 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I hate that I have these moments. Hate this.

Hug

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
09-08-2017, 06:47 AM
(09-08-2017 01:41 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(08-08-2017 10:58 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I hate that I have these moments. Hate this.

Hug

Thanks MD.

I'm getting stuck in my head about the biopsy tomorrow. Where's Nurse to talk you though something when you need her?

09-08-2017, 06:54 AM
(09-08-2017 06:47 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(09-08-2017 01:41 AM)morondog Wrote:  Hug

Thanks MD.

I'm getting stuck in my head about the biopsy tomorrow. Where's Nurse to talk you though something when you need her?

They'll stick big NEEDLES in you!!! Evil_monster Don't stress amigo. Is just medics doing their medic thing. They won't kill you intentionally.

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
16-08-2017, 07:23 AM
Guess i should be here again. I sent a response to the letter just now. One of the student advocates helped me write it, and I attached a letter written by my doctor with it. I hope it is sufficient... I'll be pursuing a remission of my fees and fail grades of last semester which -if successful- should bring my GPA up to acceptable levels. I just need to see my doc or one of the two psychs and convince them to write a thing in support of me, saying things went mentally downhill for me after the census date, I'm sure none of them would object.

That's one source of anxiety a tiny by relieved. Now i just need to focus on not being so incompetent as to fail even more this semester.

[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
16-08-2017, 07:26 AM
(16-08-2017 07:23 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Guess i should be here again. I sent a response to the letter just now. One of the student advocates helped me write it, and I attached a letter written by my doctor with it. I hope it is sufficient... I'll be pursuing a remission of my fees and fail grades of last semester which -if successful- should bring my GPA up to acceptable levels. I just need to see my doc or one of the two psychs and convince them to write a thing in support of me, saying things went mentally downhill for me after the census date, I'm sure none of them would object.

That's one source of anxiety a tiny by relieved. Now i just need to focus on not being so incompetent as to fail even more this semester.

One step at a time amigo. You'll get there.

[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post