Getting help; an FT rambling.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2017, 11:45 AM
RE: Getting help; an FT rambling.
(30-08-2017 07:57 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(30-08-2017 05:17 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Ah, this is some shit I know something about. Smile

I've felt that way twice in my life. Then, some 40 years ago now when diagnosed with manic depression as a teen, and now, noticing age-related cognitive decline in addition to the reawakening of The Black Beast. Then, I took my angst and threw it into my studies at uni. Now, I'm more likely to just go full Jesus. But in between I met my mate, made a bunch of babies who are now making more babies, did some programming and piled up a few assets so that when I go full Jesus nobody gets crucified. You should throw yourself headfirst into your studies. Take classes to learn how to make your unique brain functions useful to the community, they'll pay you for it - it was philosophy, neuropsych, cog sci, and comp sci for me. Uni provides you with all the resources you need to learn about yourself. It's kind of like its purpose. Think free, FreeThinker.

40 years from now, when your Black Beast reawakens, you'll recognize it. "Hey I know you, you're Jesus." and then you'll be able to just hug it and squeeze it to death. Big Grin

I wish I could just throw myself into my study, and I have tried, but I can't get myself to. No matter how hard I try it just frustrates me and leaves me worse for wear than when I started...

That's a sure sign you're not studying the right things for your brain.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
01-09-2017, 12:32 PM
(01-09-2017 11:45 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(30-08-2017 07:57 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I wish I could just throw myself into my study, and I have tried, but I can't get myself to. No matter how hard I try it just frustrates me and leaves me worse for wear than when I started...

That's a sure sign you're not studying the right things for your brain.

I don't know what else to study though, if I should study anything at all. Maybe a creative arts thing because of my photography but I'm not a creative person... my mind just works too literally and strictly to 'art'. Clearly science isnt my strong suit despite my preference for it.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
01-09-2017, 12:37 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2017 12:40 PM by GirlyMan.)
(01-09-2017 12:32 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(01-09-2017 11:45 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  That's a sure sign you're not studying the right things for your brain.

I don't know what else to study though, if I should study anything at all. Maybe a creative arts thing because of my photography but I'm not a creative person... my mind just works too literally and strictly to 'art'. Clearly science isnt my strong suit despite my preference for it.

My daughter ended up going with Cinematic Arts (think we used to call it Radio, Television, and Film back in the day). She actually got a fun job that pays decent wages with it. Also, computer programming. A lot of autists make great programmers.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
01-09-2017, 02:31 PM
(01-09-2017 12:37 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Also, computer programming. A lot of autists make great programmers.

Benefits:
  • You can frequently work from home.
  • Easy to learn, learning materials available free online.
  • High pay if you land the right job.

Difficulties:
  • It's actually quite hard to get really good. Easy to get basics down though, and even with basics 99% of your work is basic shit.
  • Figuring out what to learn can be hard, and some stuff just comes with experience.
  • Soft skills are still necessary. Things like figuring out what the customer wants and building that, instead of building what you want and telling the customer that's what they want.

Here's a list of stuff to learn if you're keen:
  • Start with something like Python or Javascript as a first programming language. Do tutorials. Search online, you can usually find free quality lessons without the need for spending money.
  • Learn to use what programmers call source control or version control. Good source control is git, mercurial, subversion or fossil. My favourite is fossil but everyone uses git 'cos git has massive market share and git has massive market share 'cos everyone uses git. Git is complex and sucks balls IMO but I'm just some lowly dickhead.
  • A lot of people get experience by volunteering to work on open source projects.
  • Do ONE thing at a time. Learn Python to some basic level, THEN learn source control etc. Also don't muck around with the latest and greatest language. Pick one language, stick with it, learn to code. Other languages come fast once you've got the first one. It's the principles that are important.
  • It's fun if you can find stuff in your own life to play with when you're programming. Write code to add up cost of your shopping list or something. Gives you practical examples to work on. Also maths stuff can be cool if you draw pictures, e.g. Mandelbrot set or sine waves or whatever.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
01-09-2017, 06:41 PM
I could give programming a shot. I did a very tiny, virtually nonexistent HTML stuff back in high school but I can't remember what I thought of those classes..
I don't really know anything about it though

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
02-09-2017, 01:54 AM
(01-09-2017 06:41 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I could give programming a shot. I did a very tiny, virtually nonexistent HTML stuff back in high school but I can't remember what I thought of those classes..
I don't really know anything about it though

As long as you can think logically you're set. Also be prepared for some frustration as you learn - comes with every subject. If you can maybe sit in on a few lectures from a first year computer science course at your uni you might pick up stuff a lot quicker too. If you *really* like it, you might be able to get your uni to switch your course?

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
11-09-2017, 09:21 AM
Going in to see Program Psych tomorrow ... or today rather since it's past 12... I got a call offering a vacancy so I decided I may was well take it. I've still been feeling pretty shitty, seeing the psych might help a bit. Plus hopefully he'll have the paperwork for grade remission I've been waiting on finished by Reg Psych. I STILL haven't heard anything back from uni about that actually, so I still don't know if I am going to be kicked once the semester ends. Think they'd be able to send something by now, even if just an acknowledgement that my response was received... urgh

With the season's turn, I was hoping I'd be able to get out for more generic-level photography but my catching the flu a second time really dampened that. Which sucks because for most the the last 12 days? Perfect bloody conditions! Bright out, not too hot or cold, the flowers are all at max colour already, the birds are out. If I want to the state park at Belair I might be able to stumble upon some great shots... too bad it's so far away.

Mum has given me a mission for tomorrow/later today; I have to go to the post office and send my paper work applying for disability off. She's pushing it pretty hard. Must be looking forward to potentially getting more rent outta me. I joke... But she has been insistent on applying.

[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
11-09-2017, 09:48 AM
(11-09-2017 09:21 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Mum has given me a mission for tomorrow/later today; I have to go to the post office and send my paper work applying for disability off. She's pushing it pretty hard. Must be looking forward to potentially getting more rent outta me. I joke... But she has been insistent on applying.

It's important to do these little things and claim the small victories. Big victories aren't things that happen in isolation, they're either directly an accumulation of small victories or the result of the same Smile

13-09-2017, 07:48 AM
You know that I just realised and confirmed?

I managed to just plain not do 3 assignments.

I talked with Program Psych about not feeling worthy of being in uni and he challenged me in that; sure fit in on bonus but they exist for a reason; to help level the playing field for people in my circumstances; goi g to less than stellar schools and being not rich.

Well now I do know why I absolutely unequivocally don't deserve to be taking up a spot.

Because I'm a stupid piece of shit.

This term was supposed to be ENTIRELY ABOUT ME FIXING MY PROBLEMS AND PROVING MYSELF WORTHY OF BEING THERE and what do I do? I DO THE EXACT FUCKING OPPOSITE! I go and prove the dismissal threat letter right.
Why the hell did I bother replying with anything but 'I crewing myself to your judgement, and apologise for waste the time and money of the university, its staff, the state, and the nation."

who do I contact to quit the degree... there is no point in trying to lie to myself about this any longer. Then maybe I can finally get that push I need to quit everything else too.

13-09-2017, 09:29 AM
(13-09-2017 07:48 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  You know that I just realised and confirmed?

I managed to just plain not do 3 assignments.

I talked with Program Psych about not feeling worthy of being in uni and he challenged me in that; sure fit in on bonus but they exist for a reason; to help level the playing field for people in my circumstances; goi g to less than stellar schools and being not rich.

Well now I do know why I absolutely unequivocally don't deserve to be taking up a spot.

Because I'm a stupid piece of shit.

This term was supposed to be ENTIRELY ABOUT ME FIXING MY PROBLEMS AND PROVING MYSELF WORTHY OF BEING THERE and what do I do? I DO THE EXACT FUCKING OPPOSITE! I go and prove the dismissal threat letter right.
Why the hell did I bother replying with anything but 'I crewing myself to your judgement, and apologise for waste the time and money of the university, its staff, the state, and the nation."

who do I contact to quit the degree... there is no point in trying to lie to myself about this any longer. Then maybe I can finally get that push I need to quit everything else too.

Can you still do them? Turn them in late with an apology? I think you should do that.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man