Getting help; an FT rambling.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-11-2017, 04:59 PM
RE: Getting help; an FT rambling.
(21-11-2017 03:13 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Starting escitalopram today. Any experience here on it?

I was first prescribed in 2009 and it was a wonderful thing. My aunt died then my dad died and the doc put me on it as I was spiraling into depression. Glad I was on it because then I was diagnosed with cancer.
I have taken it off and on since then...my dumb ass stops taking it now and then and I should know better than that by now.

After my heart attack my doctor said to get back on it and stay on it...so far I have. She did want me to double the dosage but that seems to be more than I need so I stick with a pretty low dose.

When I first start taking it after a break it takes about a week to get used to it...no major issues other than being a bit woozy. Takes a couple weeks to really kick in but then I seem to do well on it.

Finding the right med or combination of meds is a little hit and miss but when you find one that works that's a good thing. Thumbsup

As for Girly doing well on Wellbutrin...I might as well just eat M&Ms for all the good it did me years ago.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
21-11-2017, 05:03 PM (This post was last modified: 21-11-2017 05:09 PM by GirlyMan.)
(21-11-2017 04:59 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(21-11-2017 03:13 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Starting escitalopram today. Any experience here on it?

I was first prescribed in 2009 and it was a wonderful thing. My aunt died then my dad died and the doc put me on it as I was spiraling into depression. Glad I was on it because then I was diagnosed with cancer.
I have taken it off and on since then...my dumb ass stops taking it now and then and I should know better than that by now.

After my heart attack my doctor said to get back on it and stay on it...so far I have. She did want me to double the dosage but that seems to be more than I need so I stick with a pretty low dose.

When I first start taking it after a break it takes about a week to get used to it...no major issues other than being a bit woozy. Takes a couple weeks to really kick in but then I seem to do well on it.

Finding the right med or combination of meds is a little hit and miss but when you find one that works that's a good thing. Thumbsup

As for Girly doing well on Wellbutrin...I might as well just eat M&Ms for all the good it did me years ago.

That's how it works. We all got different neurotransmitters. Smile Seriously, report back. I'm always interested in personal responses to different psychotropics. Thumbsup

As a scientist, I'm trained to carefully consider anecdotal evidence, not dismiss it out of hand. As a hypogonadal man who has watched the bodybuilders and weightlifters do things with their endocrine system that endocrinologists can't even imagine, I don't underestimate anecdotal evidence. Big Grin

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
21-11-2017, 05:10 PM
Just give it a fair chance as it does take a while for your body to adjust. None of them are wonder drugs. You didn't get where you are overnight and even the right med won't fix things overnight.

We are here for ya! Heart

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
27-11-2017, 04:14 PM
This drug is kicking my ass. Half hour after I take it, my limbs turn to lead, my mind starts to cloud, and my stomach gets a little upset. I’ve taken to sleeping away my mornings because if I don’t i feel like I’ll collapse going up the stairs or something. It’s a shame this isn’t an evening drug.

But I expected this. Fluoxetine hit me in a similar, albeit more resistible form. I expect it’ll be about another week until I can be my normal fauxhuman again.

Frustratingly, Defacto has already started to push the “its making you better” narrative. He started with that two days after I began. Before I had had a full dose.

I had better go, be a druggie, and go to my drug induced slumber. On a 35c day in a room with no central air conditioning because fuck this ineptly built house.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
27-11-2017, 05:08 PM
(27-11-2017 04:14 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  This drug is kicking my ass. Half hour after I take it, my limbs turn to lead, my mind starts to cloud, and my stomach gets a little upset. I’ve taken to sleeping away my mornings because if I don’t i feel like I’ll collapse going up the stairs or something. It’s a shame this isn’t an evening drug.

But I expected this. Fluoxetine hit me in a similar, albeit more resistible form. I expect it’ll be about another week until I can be my normal fauxhuman again.

Frustratingly, Defacto has already started to push the “its making you better” narrative. He started with that two days after I began. Before I had had a full dose.

I had better go, be a druggie, and go to my drug induced slumber. On a 35c day in a room with no central air conditioning because fuck this ineptly built house.

All kinds of drugs can do that. I was totally lethargic if not asleep all the time when I started my blood pressure pills. Then my body adjusted, and I've been taking them for 15 years now.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
27-11-2017, 06:00 PM
(27-11-2017 04:14 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  This drug is kicking my ass. Half hour after I take it, my limbs turn to lead, my mind starts to cloud, and my stomach gets a little upset. I’ve taken to sleeping away my mornings because if I don’t i feel like I’ll collapse going up the stairs or something. It’s a shame this isn’t an evening drug.

I always take it at night and apparently sleep through any ill effects. My doc said to take it at night....maybe ask that question as a way to get through the adjustment phase at least.

29-11-2017, 07:23 PM
Thankfully in this instance, my body copes with drugs pretty well. It sucks for when I might need an extreme painkiller since those slowly weaken over time, but right now it’s doing wonders.

Two days on from my report and the side effects have greatly diminished, still there, but my body far exceeded my own estimation for adjustment speed. I’m still fatigued and limb-heavy, but it’s not remotely as bad.

Thinking about it, I’d guess that’s less my body itself and more a condition resultant from being a huge fatass. You know, greater body mass leads to weaker drug effects.

I have hopes for this drug, at least in the short term. I responded well to it’s class predecessor until the cycle of stop working <-> dosage increase -> pseudosuicidal episode started.

If I’m lucky I’ll be able to get up to my old man’s place for Giftmas and not ruin everything because of my inherent madness. I know he wants me up there, but I don’t want to go until I am stable since I lack the resources I have down here.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 4 users Like Free Thought's post
11-01-2018, 06:01 AM
Time for my first rambling bitchfest of 2018, I guess.

Can't believe it's 2018...

You know, when I entered uni, I did so with the implicit understanding that I wouldn't be returning this year. Three year degree and all. Of course as I made perfectly clear here, I never believed that; not for one moment did I ever expect to complete it in the standard time frame, and things just got more complex with all the shit that came after my initial joining... I'm sure I'll end up turfed at the end of this semester anyway. It is my last chance to show I'm worthy of my station. I'm not but maybe I'll get the trillion-to-one chance and squeak by.

I've been thinking lately. A dangerous prospect, I know.

I've whined multiple times how "I don't feel like I'm mental. Maybe I'm just pretending, fooling myself", that sort of blah blah wah. I think I've finally figured out why I feel wrong about being wrong. It's not that I'm truly mad enough to fake myself into a waking nightmare of internalised doubt.

Rather, the conceptual problem I have accepting is that maybe... what if I'm just not broken enough? Sure I've got a lot wrong with my pudgy, defective little head, but it's not like I'm actually a big deal case, right? Sure I've spent a long-ass time contemplating death, wanting it even sometimes, but it's not like I'm so far gone as to have tried anything. I mean, I don't even cut. I don't do anything at all except bitch and moan. Maybe if I actually did something aside from sometimes throwing a three-year-old's tantrum backed with the mass of a small hippo I might shake the doubt.

At least on the good news front, it looks like I might get disability payment after all due to my ASD and latent madness. Still don't particularly want it, but if it helps everybody else live a little more comfortably I'll try to take what I can get.

[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
15-01-2018, 07:07 AM
Yesterday I attended my matrilineal grandparents' 50th anniversary.

And I didn't have a panic attack. I didn't need to vomit. I didn't need my breathing exercises. Once I acclimated, I interacted with my relatives like a mostly normal person. At first I was doing my 'head in shoulders, hunched over gaze-shifting, but I slowly got acclimated. Clung to mum like a koala and didn't instigate much contact, but...

Fuck it, it doesn't matter. I'm letting myself have this; it was a huge thing for me. I decided to go of my own will. I mostly enjoyed myself.

I got a solid indication that despite however things go this semester, I have made absolute, unquestionable progress

Couldn't have done it without you guys.

[+] 6 users Like Free Thought's post