Getting my CCL tomorrow.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2014, 04:53 PM
RE: Getting my CCL tomorrow.
Anyway, I shall continue this conversation later. I need to go see X-men.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-05-2014, 04:54 PM
(30-05-2014 12:23 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(30-05-2014 12:21 PM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  Bollocks you have. Feeling the need to carry a gun all the time in a civilised society is being paranoid.

I didn't know watching a guy get out of his car and threaten a woman was being paranoid.

Maybe I need to read the dictionary more.

I guess I am just 'too' American. My first instinct upon seeing a man act as you described and then approach a woman with a baseball bat, wouldn't be to think he was going to ask her to a game.

That was a threatening act on his part...probably nothing happened because you were there as a witness. Still, I would have reached for two things...a gun and a cell phone.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
30-05-2014, 04:54 PM (This post was last modified: 30-05-2014 05:22 PM by Chas.)
(30-05-2014 04:45 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(30-05-2014 04:40 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  When shes older and wants to take gun lessons I'd be fine with that.
I however am old and set in my ways on this. Id just rather not have them here.

And that decision will statistically lower the chances of your child being killed by gun violence by around 300%.

Not really. Statistics apply to populations, not individuals.

Some individuals are very unlikely to have a gun accident, some are quite likely.
It depends on their behavior - no one else's.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-05-2014, 04:58 PM
(30-05-2014 04:54 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-05-2014 04:45 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  And that decision will statistically lower the chances of your child being killed by gun violence by around 300%.

Not really. Statistics apply to populations, not individuals.

Some individuals are very unlikely to have a gun accident, some are quite likely.
It depends on their behavior - no one else's.

Yes which is why I said statistically. Which you accept in every other instance except gun violence. This is a blind spot for you Chas, you have an emotional response to gun ownership.

If I said a vaccine would lower the chances of Hobbits baby from contracting malaria by 300% statistically you would not come back with a bunch of provisos.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
30-05-2014, 04:58 PM
(30-05-2014 03:45 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(30-05-2014 03:29 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I have a "personal protection" weapon.

Wanna see it? (It's actually really cool!)

Big Grin Its really nice. Keep it in the bedside table drawer.

Here it is

[Image: IMAG2834.jpg]

And just how close does an attacker have to get for that to be effective?

For me, a little too close.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
30-05-2014, 05:03 PM
(30-05-2014 04:46 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I have this image of you chasing some poor bloke down the street screaming at him: "Come back here arsehole, I wanna pepper vodka your face again!"

Funnily enough there was moment during the squaring up phase before it all kicked off which I found totally bizarre. He looked down at my feet and noticed that I had changed out of my flip flops (beach sandals that I was using as slippers) into a pair of doc martin boots. He commented on this, which I wasn't expecting so I told him it was because I couldn't run after him whilst wearing flip flops, they'd just flap around noisily. He just looked at me not knowing what to say until he finally responded

"You're a twat"

I looked at him thoughtfully and responded

"Yeah it can be a bit of a problem"

Unfortunately my usual tactic of confusing the aggressors and getting them slightly worried was being negated because my brother, dad and granddad were doing the usual man thing of squaring up and escalating the situation and my mother was making a drama out of a crisis. There was one beautiful moment where his eyes drifted down to the huge visible scar across my neck and then back up at me to see him smiling at him (it was from a thyroid operation but he didn't know that)

The reason behind the whole commotion was that they had come back drunk from the pub and were ripping up our connifers so my dad rushed out to stop them.
30-05-2014, 05:04 PM
(30-05-2014 04:58 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(30-05-2014 03:45 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Here it is

[Image: IMAG2834.jpg]

And just how close does an attacker have to get for that to be effective?

The knife with handle is longer as my forearm. If they want to get that close to it thats their problem.
30-05-2014, 05:05 PM
(30-05-2014 05:04 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(30-05-2014 04:58 PM)Anjele Wrote:  And just how close does an attacker have to get for that to be effective?

The knife with handle is longer as my forearm. If they want to get that close to it thats their problem.

Its also weighted as a throwing knife. Mind you I should probably refresh myself on how to properly throw a throwing knife. Its been a very long time.
30-05-2014, 05:06 PM
(30-05-2014 04:47 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(30-05-2014 04:19 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Go read my Sean Taylor story and you might change your tune.

I'm missing your point. I don't know what your Sean Taylor story is but as a Redskins fan I am familiar with his. Sean Taylor was most certainly not unarmed when his home was invaded. What is your point? I got Mossberg's loaded with slugs for home defense. Slugs are gonna stop you and put you down but you got a chance of surviving it. Double-aught buck from 10 feet is gonna cut your ass in half.

Nah, that slug from 10 feet will do more damage. Neither is likely survivable.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
30-05-2014, 05:12 PM
(30-05-2014 05:04 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(30-05-2014 04:58 PM)Anjele Wrote:  And just how close does an attacker have to get for that to be effective?

Just remember to not hold it out in front of you because then it can be taken off you and used against you. If you're going to rely on a knife then make sure to keep it back near your body. It then becomes very difficult for them to grab it off you without getting wounded. It's very easy for the knife to move forward if you take any steps.

If you want to try it for yourself then try it with friend armed with a permanent marker pen. Every red mark on the body is a slash.

I used to learn Kali which is a martial art that uses the same moves for knives, sticks and open hand. I can't really remember much of it now but every martial arts teacher I had said that if the attacker has a knife then the best thing you can do is run.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post