Getting my CCL tomorrow.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2014, 09:49 AM
RE: Getting my CCL tomorrow.
(30-05-2014 09:46 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(30-05-2014 07:51 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  ...
My gun was there to protect that lady's life if he decided to swing that bat.

Judge, jury and executioner!

How do you know that she hadn't carved him up 10 mins earlier and he was making a point her bad driving... just temporary road rage?

How do you know that this wasn't going to be your god's punishment of her because she deliberately ran over a cat and left it to die... laughing as she drove off?

What gives you the right to intervene in your god's plan?

Do you think you are your god?

If so, join the club.

Dodgy

As an atheist and skeptic, you should know this. I just follow the evidence.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-05-2014, 10:10 AM
Congrats, KC, you have made a wise choice. I have taught the concealed carry course in Colorado for almost 30 years. The school where I teach has a 40 hour course that graduates about 30 students a month. Never, in the history of our school, has any graduate ever wrongfully or negligently injured another person with a firearm that we know of. However, LOTS of them have successfully used handguns in self defense. More often than not, they have not had to squeeze the trigger but they were ready to do it when the assailant ran away.

A few times our students have shot attackers. A few years ago, one elder woman shot an intruder who was climbing in through her apartment window. He was all the way into her living room and standing up when she put seven rounds into his chest. DNA tests established that he was a serial rapist that the cops had been trying to catch for a couple years. He preyed on elder women by breaking into their homes. We teach quite a few abused spouses every month who have finally worked up the confidence to divorce the abuser.

Bad people aren't the only reason for carrying a handgun. I tell my students that they will probably never, in their lives, have to draw a gun to defend themselves against a person. However, the odds are high they will have to kill an aggressive dog or more likely, here in Colorado, a rabid coyote. If trey hike in our Colorado mountains, they will run into the occasional mountain lion or bear. Those animals are no threat to them. But we do have a rabies outbreak that has hit the coyotes and fox.
[+] 3 users Like Black Eagle's post
30-05-2014, 10:12 AM
(30-05-2014 10:10 AM)Black Eagle Wrote:  Congrats, KC, you have made a wise choice. I have taught the concealed carry course in Colorado for almost 30 years. The school where I teach has a 40 hour course that graduates about 30 students a month. Never, in the history of our school, has any graduate ever wrongfully or negligently injured another person with a firearm that we know of. However, LOTS of them have successfully used handguns in self defense. More often than not, they have not had to squeeze the trigger but they were ready to do it when the assailant ran away.

Sweet! Id love to see the statistics on this. Can you link me the source? Smile Thank you.
30-05-2014, 10:21 AM
(30-05-2014 10:10 AM)Black Eagle Wrote:  Bad people aren't the only reason for carrying a handgun. I tell my students that they will probably never, in their lives, have to draw a gun to defend themselves against a person. However, the odds are high they will have to kill an aggressive dog or more likely, here in Colorado, a rabid coyote. If trey hike in our Colorado mountains, they will run into the occasional mountain lion or bear. Those animals are no threat to them. But we do have a rabies outbreak that has hit the coyotes and fox.

I've come across a few rabid fox - it's getting bad. Undecided

As for bears ... I know just banging on stuff scares the shit out of them and they run... but if it ever came down to it... would a handgun take out a bear? They have a pretty thick hide. Consider Wouldn't I need something more powerful?

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
30-05-2014, 10:29 AM
Unfortunately, the source for our school has to be me. Big Grin We follow our students after they finish the course. Most of them stay in Colorado and the county sheriffs notify the school if one of our graduates, who has a license, screws up. It is possible that we have missed someone out of more than 300 graduates per year. We had one student, about ten years ago, who lost his license because of a felony conviction [income tax evasion].
30-05-2014, 10:32 AM
By the way, here is a statistics sheet we sometimes hand out in class.

http://www.gunfacts.info/gun-control-myt...led-carry/
30-05-2014, 10:34 AM
(30-05-2014 07:01 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I often practice open carry and usually have my 9mm hidden in my vehicle somewhere... now I can pretty much carry it anywhere I want as long as there isn't a sign saying I can't.

My father-in-law has his .40 strapped to him almost all the time.

Yay for Louisiana.

Given your medical issues, be aware:
"A permittee may not carry and conceal a handgun while under the influence of alcohol or a controlled dangerous substance (CDS) as defined in R.S. 40:961 and 964. For purposes of the concealed handgun law, a permittee is considered under the influence of alcohol when a blood alcohol reading of .05% or greater by weight of alcohol in the blood is obtained, or a blood or urine test shows any confirmed presence of a CDS."

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
30-05-2014, 10:36 AM
(30-05-2014 10:34 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-05-2014 07:01 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I often practice open carry and usually have my 9mm hidden in my vehicle somewhere... now I can pretty much carry it anywhere I want as long as there isn't a sign saying I can't.

My father-in-law has his .40 strapped to him almost all the time.

Yay for Louisiana.

Given your medical issues, be aware:
"A permittee may not carry and conceal a handgun while under the influence of alcohol or a controlled dangerous substance (CDS) as defined in R.S. 40:961 and 964. For purposes of the concealed handgun law, a permittee is considered under the influence of alcohol when a blood alcohol reading of .05% or greater by weight of alcohol in the blood is obtained, or a blood or urine test shows any confirmed presence of a CDS."

Good to know.

Thanks Chas. Hopefully this won't be an issue when my Tramadol comes in.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
30-05-2014, 10:36 AM
(30-05-2014 09:28 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(30-05-2014 07:51 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  The BR area has the highest violent crime rate per capita in the nation.

You mean all the self appointed vigilantes with their CCL's do not make a lick of difference in the crime rate. Shocking.

Unsupported conclusion. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
30-05-2014, 10:46 AM
(30-05-2014 07:51 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  He got out of the car with a bat and walked up to her window. My hand began to slide on my 9mm.

That sounds like a typical American solution to my European ears.

A typical Scottish solution would be to roll your sleeves up, get out the car and start walking towards the aggressor.

I have to say, 9mm gun against someone wielding a baseball bat? Isn't that overkill? It wasn't like he was carrying a knife.
[+] 3 users Like Mathilda's post