Getting my PS4 in a few days!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-04-2014, 10:14 PM (This post was last modified: 26-04-2014 10:44 PM by Monster_Riffs.)
Getting my PS4 in a few days!
There is no purpose to this thread other than the fact that I'm bursting with excitement! ... I've had consoles for years, from the early 80s with ping pong, then my atari!

The last time I was this excited was when I got my SNES! Big Grin

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-04-2014, 10:45 PM
RE: Getting my PS4 in a few days!
Having had much experience with both consoles (own a xbone and my flatmate has an xbone and ps4 in the living room for anyone to use), the ps4 controller fails compared to the xbone controller BUT it's a fuckload better than the ps1/2/3 controller. The touchpad on the ps4 controller is gimmicky and annoying (they force you to use it for things like quick-menu selection which is a pain, I'd rather use the d-pad) but the speaker is cool (just be warned, had no idea there was a speaker on the controller, first time I herd something came out of the controller (radio tape recording on Killzone) I almost shat my pants.).

The user interface on the ps4 is better than the xbone by far though. Much easier to navigate.

BUT the main problem with the ps4 is that xbone games are just better and there's more of them (including more exclusives). Also, Infamous Second Son is disappointing. The games graphics are the best graphics I've ever seen in video gaming... ever... (except for the fact that the road is full of puddles despite there being no rain which urks me but w/e) BUT the gameplay is incredibly incredibly short. You'll 100% the game (not just finish but 100%) in like 2 afternoons.

Still, cool. Thumbsup

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
26-04-2014, 11:04 PM
(26-04-2014 10:45 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Having had much experience with both consoles (own a xbone and my flatmate has an xbone and ps4 in the living room for anyone to use), the ps4 controller fails compared to the xbone controller BUT it's a fuckload better than the ps1/2/3 controller. The touchpad on the ps4 controller is gimmicky and annoying (they force you to use it for things like quick-menu selection which is a pain, I'd rather use the d-pad) but the speaker is cool (just be warned, had no idea there was a speaker on the controller, first time I herd something came out of the controller (radio tape recording on Killzone) I almost shat my pants.).

The user interface on the ps4 is better than the xbone by far though. Much easier to navigate.

BUT the main problem with the ps4 is that xbone games are just better and there's more of them (including more exclusives). Also, Infamous Second Son is disappointing. The games graphics are the best graphics I've ever seen in video gaming... ever... (except for the fact that the road is full of puddles despite there being no rain which urks me but w/e) BUT the gameplay is incredibly incredibly short. You'll 100% the game (not just finish but 100%) in like 2 afternoons.

Still, cool. Thumbsup

I've had experience with both consoles too. In the past, I have always favoured the button layout of the xbox and still do. For my PS3 I replaced the pad with a 3rd party xbox style pad. I do think PS have improved the feel and the thimbsticks a lot. They're fucking shit on every other PS.

Back in the day, I have had all XBs and all PS consoles. I have gone for the PS4 first this time because I think MS have made a fucking pigs ear of this console from launch. I'm sure at some point in the future I'll get one though. ... I know you're right about better launch exclusives for XB but that doesn't bother me in the long term. ... Towards the end, the PS3 had pulled it's socks up with The Last Of Us and beyond 2 Souls, I'm looking forward to The Order 1886 as an exclusive and in the meantime, any multi platform titles I get, I fancy playing them in 1080p Smile

Overall, I do like xb but I think having better launch games is the only thing that has saved them this time. ... That's not a criticism of the console either, more the clowns that utterly fucked up the marketing and letting through some obvious fails like the resolution. They could've fixed that before launch. ... Shame really. Smile

26-04-2014, 11:15 PM
(26-04-2014 10:45 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Having had much experience with both consoles (own a xbone and my flatmate has an xbone and ps4 in the living room for anyone to use), the ps4 controller fails compared to the xbone controller BUT it's a fuckload better than the ps1/2/3 controller. The touchpad on the ps4 controller is gimmicky and annoying (they force you to use it for things like quick-menu selection which is a pain, I'd rather use the d-pad) but the speaker is cool (just be warned, had no idea there was a speaker on the controller, first time I herd something came out of the controller (radio tape recording on Killzone) I almost shat my pants.).

Still, cool. Thumbsup

I seriously don't get why console companies haven't made compatible modular constructs for consoles, or universal compatibility. For the former I mean that you can have different modules to create your console, and they could be compatible, so you can mix and match features and controllers for your system.
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
26-04-2014, 11:17 PM
(26-04-2014 11:15 PM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  

Still, cool. Thumbsup

I seriously don't get why console companies haven't made compatible modular constructs for consoles, or universal compatibility. For the former I mean that you can have different modules to create your console, and they could be compatible, so you can mix and match features and controllers for your system.

You can do that. They're called PCs Laugh out load

[+] 1 user Likes Monster_Riffs's post
26-04-2014, 11:28 PM
(26-04-2014 11:17 PM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  
(26-04-2014 11:15 PM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  I seriously don't get why console companies haven't made compatible modular constructs for consoles, or universal compatibility. For the former I mean that you can have different modules to create your console, and they could be compatible, so you can mix and match features and controllers for your system.

You can do that. They're called PCs Laugh out load
Yeah, but can you run all of your xbox, ps4, wii, game discs on the PC, and have the same UI and GUI as the consoles (EASILY) with little to no experience with PCs?
The thing about consoles is they're plug and play. For many people (excluding me) it's hard to setup pcs, or build your own pc. Not to mention the file managing that you barely have on consoles. They need to create a modular system that is easy, and also compatible with everything.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 2 users Like Alex_Leonardo's post
26-04-2014, 11:42 PM
(26-04-2014 11:28 PM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  
(26-04-2014 11:17 PM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  You can do that. They're called PCs Laugh out load
Yeah, but can you run all of your xbox, ps4, wii, game discs on the PC, and have the same UI and GUI as the consoles (EASILY) with little to no experience with PCs?
The thing about consoles is they're plug and play. For many people (excluding me) it's hard to setup pcs, or build your own pc. Not to mention the file managing that you barely have on consoles. They need to create a modular system that is easy, and also compatible with everything.

I knew what you meant mate Thumbsup ... I was just being a dick Smile

It'll never happen. The console market is a different animal! A lot of people, including me, get consoles so they don't have to mess about with interchangeable tech but are guaranteed AAA titles on their machine for years. ... If it all became 1 machine essentially, who would 'own' it? MS? Sony? Nintendo? ... My point being who would make the money?

Besides, even though I was joking around in my last post, the market for interchangeable, upgradable, all singing, all dancing, electronic god mode, keyboard warrior, cyber nazi, gaming elitists already exists. ... If consoles tried to enter that race this late in the day, the pc market would crush them Big Grin

27-04-2014, 12:34 AM
@Monster, yea MS fucked up the launch with that no second hand games and can only play while online (which they fixed) shit, I was furious with their launch too.
But I think it's irrelevant, the only thing that matters is your experience with it now which is excellent IMO.
I'm also sold on kinect. I think making it included with the console was a brilliant move. It ensures everyone has one so game developers will incorporate it into their games which means it will become part of the competition between games and become more than gimmicky bullshit. Plus redeeming codes is now infinitely better, just hold the code up to kinect, instant done.

The 720p v 1080p thing isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I mean yea it was a little silly to not have 1080p for a new console BUT it's not that much of a difference and wouldn't ever be considered a factor for me when buying a game. I'm not not gonna buy a game because it's 720p v 1080p.

And yea PS4 will eventually get a good games library, but xbone will maintain a good games library so..

@Alex, because it's console gaming not PC gaming... Interchangeable parts defeats the whole purpose.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
27-04-2014, 01:32 AM
(27-04-2014 12:34 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  @Monster, yea MS fucked up the launch with that no second hand games and can only play while online (which they fixed) shit, I was furious with their launch too.
But I think it's irrelevant, the only thing that matters is your experience with it now which is excellent IMO.
I'm also sold on kinect. I think making it included with the console was a brilliant move. It ensures everyone has one so game developers will incorporate it into their games which means it will become part of the competition between games and become more than gimmicky bullshit. Plus redeeming codes is now infinitely better, just hold the code up to kinect, instant done.

The 720p v 1080p thing isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I mean yea it was a little silly to not have 1080p for a new console BUT it's not that much of a difference and wouldn't ever be considered a factor for me when buying a game. I'm not not gonna buy a game because it's 720p v 1080p.

And yea PS4 will eventually get a good games library, but xbone will maintain a good games library so..

@Alex, because it's console gaming not PC gaming... Interchangeable parts defeats the whole purpose.

Good point about the Kinect actually mate. Like I say, I'll end up with one at some point anyway and I think any technical problems with it will have been ironed out by the time I do! The games I want for now are multi platform anyway, BF4, Watchdogs with the exception of The Order 1886 ... I wanted Theif too until I saw the fucking state of it!

And anyway Muffs, you're a horrid little pc elitist with a PS4 downstairs and an Xbone upstairs so anything you say is invalid!

(Except in the relationship thread, cos I bet that fucking tart of mine starts playing up again when the PS4 turns up! I'm gonna need you buddy) Laugh out load

[+] 1 user Likes Monster_Riffs's post
27-04-2014, 02:05 AM
(27-04-2014 12:34 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  @Monster, yea MS fucked up the launch with that no second hand games and can only play while online (which they fixed) shit, I was furious with their launch too.

So glad to see you've joined the dark side.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post