Getting my name changed.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-03-2017, 11:37 PM
RE: Getting my name changed.
(16-03-2017 11:20 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  
(16-03-2017 11:15 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  One of my hippy-dippy older brothers, who dropped acid probably more than most people, decided to name his first child Banchoo-mew. That would have been the kid's first name and I spelled it the way it was pronounced. His timid Canadian Native Indian wife was fine with it. Rolleyes

Well, fast forward 8 or 9 years and the little boy simply hated his name and vowed to change it when he turned 18.....and he did. He changed to Brian.

My brother did much better with his second son. He named him Orion, after the star constellation. I liked that much better.

My other brother, who dropped acid only slightly less, named his son Argon, after one of the elements.

My mother was married twice. She had 8 kids and I was the last of them so she had a lot of baby naming experience. She named me after an old Frank Sinatra song. My sister was named Rowena , a character in the book Ivanhoe.

But here's the funny part. My mother loved the name Bruce because of the Robert the Bruce Scottish legend. (I personally hate that name) Anyway she loved it so much she named two of her son's Bruce. So I have a half brother named Bruce and full blooded brother named Bruce.

Yes, I have a goofy family.

My biological mom named me after her boyfriend and her best friend at the time.
-_- I hate it so much. I've had to correct people over the pronunciation of my name since I was a little kid. My adoptive mother thought it was the dumbest name ever and opted to try and rename to Samantha but never did.

I think Rowena, Orion, and Argon is pretty though. Unique. Smile

Go ahead and change your name. Why go through life with a name you don't like. I've always loved my name and would never change it. My mom did a good job naming me.

But she SURE goofed up with two of my brothers. I always have to explain why I have two brothers named Bruce. It's crazy.Laugh out load

Yes, it's true, I live in a sit-com.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
16-03-2017, 11:39 PM
Laugh out load Thumbsup
17-03-2017, 03:32 AM
I really wanted to change my last name and I don't have anything inherantly against doing it.
My family don't like the idea of it because it's the family name, but I've always hated it.
The only issue I have is the amount of documents I'd have to go through and change to get it done, drivers license, bank details, work details and so on.
I keep saying I'll do it someday but I haven't even decided on an alternate name yet.
17-03-2017, 04:14 AM
For changing your first name, change it to whatever you like/what people know you as, it won't make a huge difference. Is it a big issue to just keep your name as it is, and use the name you like? For example a friend of mine was called Alex....it was only many years later I found it it's not his legal first name, but his middle name lol. He just uses that, but on the important things he has his full birth name

In relation to changing your family name, I only would If I didn't want to be associated with the family anymore, but again its a personal choice.

The Helpful Atheist - An Information Blog
Last updated: 08/11/2017 - Want to contribute, drop me a PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-03-2017, 04:25 AM
I play RPG's and agonize over selecting a name during character creation every single time.

So no, I don't think it's weird. Names are important, you should like yours.

[Image: 150524.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
17-03-2017, 05:16 AM
Used to think it was expensive. I guess it's a trip to Worcester for my birth certificate, $160 bucks and put an ad in the paper. So there's that.

I'm getting mine changed. Waited until I made a name I wanted to have. Fortunately I live with my bestie who as expertise in this area, and before needs must and I become John Cantor, I'll be dba living word of gwynnite. Laugh out load

living word
17-03-2017, 05:27 AM
(16-03-2017 07:33 PM)JesseB Wrote:  
(16-03-2017 05:40 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  I have to have my name changed to my name. It was wrong on my birth certificate. Gasp

Gawdzilla is way better, you should leave it like that on your birth certificate, don't change it!

No, they put two "M"s in Sama. Couldn't let that stand when I noticed.

@KUSA: No God found.
17-03-2017, 05:29 AM
Hate my legal entitlement. Growing up it was agreed that I should have been an abortion and that I was the reason the marriage dissolved. Well, I don't agree with the second part. But sure, I never wanted my father's name.

Other than that, the naming of things is straight witchcraft. You want your name. my name is ellenjanuary. Took thousands of hours to find that one. Make it legal but dudes are weirded out by calling another dude ellen in my experience. John is a marketing strategy.

What I've become seems to be living word of gwynnite; well John the Cantor, so there it is there.

TLBig GrinR

Not weird. You probably need a couple of names. Wink

living word
17-03-2017, 05:38 AM
If you want to, that's fine. However, I know several people who go by their middle names instead of their first names (without doing the first initial thing), and they don't have problems when it comes to taxes or legal documents, etc.

Your biggest challenge will be getting people who've known you for a long time to stop calling you by your old name. Some will do it deliberately to annoy you and others will just have a hard time adjusting to the new name.

My sister changed her name for a couple of years to her middle name and then went back to her first name. I don't think she ever changed the first name legally, although she did change her surname when she got married and then never changed it back after she divorced.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
17-03-2017, 05:48 AM
(16-03-2017 11:15 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  But here's the funny part. My mother loved the name Bruce because of the Robert the Bruce Scottish legend. (I personally hate that name) Anyway she loved it so much she named two of her son's Bruce. So I have a half brother named Bruce and full blooded brother named Bruce.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post