Getting over the OCD from my Religious Programming

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-05-2016, 10:49 PM
Getting over the OCD from my Religious Programming
I have OCD, which I acquired from my religious conditioning during my time following the IFB (Independent Fundamental Baptists). Triggers for this OCD will be:

1. The Internet

This happens whenever I surf the web. I'm always tempted to take a peak at http://www.jesus-is-savior.com, which in my opinion is an extremely toxic website (just look in the link description and you'll see what I mean). Or sometimes when I'm on YouTube watching other videos, I'll see links to other videos about Biblical Archaeology, Near-Death Experiences and End Times sermons. Furthermore, adding to this fear are the many videos about the alleged discoveries of Ron Wyatt. People always are saying "they're hiding his discoveries". Basically, anything on a website that says something like "irrefutable proof" or something of that nature.

2. Being Alone

What more can I say? When we're alone, we're most vulnerable.

3. Reading the Bible

I read the Bible sometimes via suggestion of an Atheist YouTuber, who suggested that I do it so that I can better learn about how to beat Christians.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-05-2016, 10:54 PM (This post was last modified: 29-05-2016 11:13 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Getting over the OCD from my Religious Programming
(29-05-2016 10:49 PM)SkepticalDaniel Wrote:  Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do?

Got meds? I can help you with scrips. Had pretty much all of them.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
29-05-2016, 11:10 PM
I happen to know a lot of IFB's. I realize you don't know me, but for someone in my situation to have acquaintances with such a high number of IFB's is (shall we say) odd.

What is your current circumstance?

Are you in the church (maybe questioning some things)?
Are you actively trying to leave the church but you're too scared?
Or have you left the church all together?

If you need help deprogramming from this religion cult, I may be in a unique position to assist you (at least to some degree).
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
29-05-2016, 11:22 PM
(29-05-2016 11:10 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I happen to know a lot of IFB's. I realize you don't know me, but for someone in my situation to have acquaintances with such a high number of IFB's is (shall we say) odd.

That's really a thing? Independent Fundamental Baptists? I'm going back to my crossword puzzle now.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
29-05-2016, 11:26 PM
(29-05-2016 11:22 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(29-05-2016 11:10 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I happen to know a lot of IFB's. I realize you don't know me, but for someone in my situation to have acquaintances with such a high number of IFB's is (shall we say) odd.

That's really a thing? Independent Fundamental Baptists? I'm going back to my crossword puzzle.

Ooooooh, yes. Yes, it's a thing. They have their own college program as well where you can learn fork truck driving, or you can major in Christian Wife Sciences.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
29-05-2016, 11:30 PM
(29-05-2016 11:26 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(29-05-2016 11:22 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  That's really a thing? Independent Fundamental Baptists? I'm going back to my crossword puzzle.

Ooooooh, yes. Yes, it's a thing. They have their own college program as well where you can learn fork truck driving, or you can major in Christian Wife Sciences.

Are they accredited? 'Cause I'm pretty sure I can test out of a PhD in Wife Sciences.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
29-05-2016, 11:34 PM
(29-05-2016 11:30 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(29-05-2016 11:26 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Ooooooh, yes. Yes, it's a thing. They have their own college program as well where you can learn fork truck driving, or you can major in Christian Wife Sciences.

Are they accredited? 'Cause I'm pretty sure I can test out of a PhD in Wife Sciences.

Of course not. You can't even use Pell Grant funds to attend that school. Drinking Beverage
30-05-2016, 07:52 AM
(29-05-2016 10:49 PM)SkepticalDaniel Wrote:  This happens whenever I surf the web. I'm always tempted to take a peak at www.jesus-is-savior.com, which in my opinion is an extremely toxic website (just look in the link description and you'll see what I mean) [...]

Oh... oh..... my eyeballs have just started bleeding!

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
30-05-2016, 08:54 AM
(30-05-2016 07:52 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(29-05-2016 10:49 PM)SkepticalDaniel Wrote:  This happens whenever I surf the web. I'm always tempted to take a peak at www.jesus-is-savior.com, which in my opinion is an extremely toxic website (just look in the link description and you'll see what I mean) [...]

Oh... oh..... my eyeballs have just started bleeding!

And mine as well Hobo

As an outsider and ex-Catholic, I don't really see this site as toxic though: more ridiculous and tabloid-y than anything else. That the OP should see it as "toxic" and even tempting speaks to the level of indoctrination these people have achieved. Which is truly scary.

To the OP, I would recommend seeing a qualified therapist to help you overcome your OCD, possibly one who has dealt with others recovering from cults?
I have found that increased contact with the natural world (hiking, camping, etc.) has helped me overcome my indoctrination (albeit it was nowhere near as extensive as yours).
Best wishes

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
30-05-2016, 08:58 AM
"Pharmageddon"? "Hail Mary, Hail Satan"- "Catholicism is the Mother of Harlots"? Must be a parody site. Please, say it's a parody site.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post