Getting the Gook Off of Cookware

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2015, 09:54 AM
Getting the Gook Off of Cookware
Barkeeper's Friend is good but not good enough. Now I've found something that actually does work, courtesy, of course, of google.

Back when I had more salary than sense I bought a big collection of cookware, mostly All-Clad and Viking, with some of those french copper pans and pots to add color to the rack I hang most of them on. I like their gleam and shine and so never touched them with Scotchbrite but just a sponge, soap, hot water, bristle brush and the above mentioned Barkeeper's Friend, and tried hard after each use to get them into water as soon as possible to prevent the gook from "taking a set".

But over time the gook fastened itself into the inaccessible crevasses between the handle and the pan, and spread like cancer further onto the outer surfaces, hard and indelible as clam shells. I could grind it off with Scotchbrite and 88 hours of elbow grease, but that would dull the mirror surface and my cookware wouldn't gleam and I paid all that money for pots that would gleam and make the kitchen look sharp. Mostly I don't have 88 hours to stand at the sink and rub and rub and rub and rub. And nothing would prize the gook out of the crevasses.

So google suggested an answer.

I filled my biggest roasting pan with water, put one of my gook encrusted pots in it and brought it to a boil. Then I added three boxes of baking soda and kept the boil up. Fizz!! Then I stopped the boil and let things sit an hour or so. Another few minutes at high boil, then let sit for six hours.

The result was spectacular. The gook, every molecule of it, lifted off by just rubbing it off with my fingertips. It came out of the crevasses with gentle persuasion from the bristle brush. Sparkling spotlessly gleaming clean! Wow! Now the kitchen looks like a bachelor's: all the cookware looks like it came out of the box.

Now if I could just figure out a way to get the entire stove into a tub in an autoclave ... Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
06-08-2015, 09:59 AM
RE: Getting the Gook Off of Cookware
I just use Methyl Ethyl Ketone, or a sandblaster..........

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
06-08-2015, 11:51 AM
I buy new pans.

Big Grin

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 2 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
06-08-2015, 12:20 PM
(06-08-2015 11:51 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  I buy new pans.

Big Grin
You worked for the government at some point, right???

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
06-08-2015, 01:06 PM
I don't bother with gook. I figure it adds to the flavor.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
06-08-2015, 01:10 PM
I think I know too many Vietnam Vets... my mind went somewhere totally different when I read the title of this thread.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 3 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
06-08-2015, 02:52 PM
Hog Wash, brake clean.
06-08-2015, 04:04 PM
(06-08-2015 01:10 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  I think I know too many Vietnam Vets... my mind went somewhere totally different when I read the title of this thread.

Must be a generational thing because my first thought was "there are gooks on cookware? Stay out of Vietnamese restaurants."

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
06-08-2015, 04:07 PM
(06-08-2015 01:06 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I don't bother with gook. I figure it adds to the flavor.

If anything is left after ALLLLL the oil and butter I cook with, then this. Ha ha.
06-08-2015, 04:14 PM
(06-08-2015 04:07 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  
(06-08-2015 01:06 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I don't bother with gook. I figure it adds to the flavor.

If anything is left after ALLLLL the oil and butter I cook with, then this. Ha ha.

I have several cast iron pans that's I've had for about 20 years and according to my mother in law you aren't supposed to clean them super well. Just get the major junk out of it and some light cleaning and you're good to go. One of the reason's I don't have any copper pans is because I don't want to sit and clean them to a nice shine. I've got other things to do with my life.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post