Getting the Gook Off of Cookware

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2015, 04:20 PM
RE: Getting the Gook Off of Cookware
(06-08-2015 09:54 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  Barkeeper's Friend is good but not good enough. Now I've found something that actually does work, courtesy, of course, of google.

Back when I had more salary than sense I bought a big collection of cookware, mostly All-Clad and Viking, with some of those french copper pans and pots to add color to the rack I hang most of them on. I like their gleam and shine and so never touched them with Scotchbrite but just a sponge, soap, hot water, bristle brush and the above mentioned Barkeeper's Friend, and tried hard after each use to get them into water as soon as possible to prevent the gook from "taking a set".

But over time the gook fastened itself into the inaccessible crevasses between the handle and the pan, and spread like cancer further onto the outer surfaces, hard and indelible as clam shells. I could grind it off with Scotchbrite and 88 hours of elbow grease, but that would dull the mirror surface and my cookware wouldn't gleam and I paid all that money for pots that would gleam and make the kitchen look sharp. Mostly I don't have 88 hours to stand at the sink and rub and rub and rub and rub. And nothing would prize the gook out of the crevasses.

So google suggested an answer.

I filled my biggest roasting pan with water, put one of my gook encrusted pots in it and brought it to a boil. Then I added three boxes of baking soda and kept the boil up. Fizz!! Then I stopped the boil and let things sit an hour or so. Another few minutes at high boil, then let sit for six hours.

The result was spectacular. The gook, every molecule of it, lifted off by just rubbing it off with my fingertips. It came out of the crevasses with gentle persuasion from the bristle brush. Sparkling spotlessly gleaming clean! Wow! Now the kitchen looks like a bachelor's: all the cookware looks like it came out of the box.

Now if I could just figure out a way to get the entire stove into a tub in an autoclave ... Tongue

I'm working on an Excel macro that will clean my bathroom. Tongue
Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2015, 05:09 PM
(06-08-2015 09:54 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  Barkeeper's Friend is good but not good enough. Now I've found something that actually does work, courtesy, of course, of google.

Now if I could just figure out a way to get the entire stove into a tub in an autoclave ... Tongue

We have a black stove...I hate it...I bought Barkeeper's Friend and scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed some more. If you figure out how to clean one so that it's not streaky, let me know. Undecided

I have nearly poisoned myself using everything in the cabinet to get it to look like new again.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
06-08-2015, 06:10 PM
(06-08-2015 04:20 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  ... I'm working on an Excel macro that will clean my bathroom ...

I tried that at first actually but every time I got it to work properly Microsoft would make another update and eliminate some key function I was using Sadcryface2
06-08-2015, 06:47 PM
(06-08-2015 04:14 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(06-08-2015 04:07 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  If anything is left after ALLLLL the oil and butter I cook with, then this. Ha ha.

I have several cast iron pans that's I've had for about 20 years and according to my mother in law you aren't supposed to clean them super well. Just get the major junk out of it and some light cleaning and you're good to go. One of the reason's I don't have any copper pans is because I don't want to sit and clean them to a nice shine. I've got other things to do with my life.

And another tip -- about once a year, or more often if the pan sees regular use, wash it, dry it, give it a light coating of vegetable oil, and leave it in the over for 30 minutes at 375°F. It helps seal the pores in the iron and improves its nonstick qualities.
06-08-2015, 07:31 PM
When I have too much time on My hands and am annoyed by stains on cookware, I sometimes resort to a fine grade (at least 220, preferably higher) of wet-dry sandpaper.

If I'm really desperate to get some gunk off a pan and don't care about scratches, I resort to a sharp metal scraper (a chisel or a razor blade scraper).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user