Getting tooth pulled

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2017, 04:38 PM
Getting tooth pulled
Hi,

So I have always been very scared of the dentist. (Had some really bad experiences)
Now my current dentist is actually very good and careful and has fixed some overdue stuff already.
I made an appointment for Saturday and will ask if he can just pull that bitch of a tooth out because it won't stop hurting. This is the one tooth that has caused me so much pain over the years, fuck it now.
So far, so ballsy. But on Saturday I get it pulled and I am freaking out.
I asked my buddy about it because he had one pulled earlier this year. He said it doesn't hurt but it is uncomfortable.
How the fuck can it be "only" uncomfortable when someone pulls a tooth out of my head? I really don't know, but I am freaking out about this.
I actually deal with pain very well but pains in the head are just a different story from any other pain.
As ballsy as I am at everything else, I just lose it at the dentist.

Has anybody gotten a tooth (not wisdom) pulled and can tell me how that happens and what that uncomfortable but not pain is supposed to mean?

cheers
Rob

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-03-2017, 04:43 PM
RE: Getting tooth pulled
Hi Rob- I've had my wisdom teeth removed. It was pretty pain free during the procedure. Doc numbed me up good. I wasn't put under for it or anything. I was really scared going into it. Swelling was a thing for a week or so, and don't expect to be ready to drive home yourself afterward.

Overall it wasn't that bad- not nearly as bad as I'd worried about. Just be sure to keep up with the aftercare and you should be fine. Smile
[+] 3 users Like Emma's post
28-03-2017, 04:58 PM
If you have a good dentist it will not be painful. You will feel pressure and there will be a healing time afterward but if it's bothering you that often and that much you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
28-03-2017, 05:42 PM
Get gas and you may feel stuff going on, but you won't care. It's not so much pain as the expectation of pain and the dismay at the pain, I think.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
28-03-2017, 05:44 PM
(28-03-2017 05:42 PM)julep Wrote:  Get gas and you may feel stuff going on, but you won't care. It's not so much pain as the expectation of pain and the dismay at the pain, I think.

Yeah...gas...and wear headphones...listen to something you really like. The shots will really be the worst of it.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
28-03-2017, 05:54 PM
(28-03-2017 04:58 PM)Anjele Wrote:  If you have a good dentist it will not be painful. You will feel pressure and there will be a healing time afterward but if it's bothering you that often and that much you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

A good dentist is the key. Last tooth I had pulled I was thinking of getting nitrous but it wasn't covered by insurance and having had nitrous before I knew it wasn't worth an 8-ball. Didn't need it. Good dentists have good techniques for administering the novocaine injection which is the only painful part. I had one that used the flap my lip to distract from the needle and the last one administered the local in stages. Both worked well. The actual extraction takes like 3 minutes with another 2 minutes to cleanup any stray tooth arts. I used to fear dentists and still do fear them for root canals and other valiant "we must save the tooth!" efforts which require repeat visits and costs thousands not covered by insurance. I can get 'em pulled for $35 and the toothache is blissfully gone immediately. That's why God gave us 32. I'm down to 24 and I kinda like fiddling around with the missing gaps, sock away some nicorette gum or hard candy in there.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
28-03-2017, 05:57 PM
(28-03-2017 05:54 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(28-03-2017 04:58 PM)Anjele Wrote:  If you have a good dentist it will not be painful. You will feel pressure and there will be a healing time afterward but if it's bothering you that often and that much you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

A good dentist is the key. Last tooth I had pulled I was thinking of getting nitrous but it wasn't covered by insurance and having had nitrous before I knew it wasn't worth an 8-ball. Didn't need it. Good dentists have good techniques for administering the novocaine injection which is the only painful part. I had one that used the flap my lip to distract from the needle and the last one administered the local in stages. Both worked well. The actual extraction takes like 3 minutes with another 2 minutes to cleanup any stray tooth arts. I used to fear dentists and still do fear them for root canals and other valiant "we must save the tooth!" efforts which require repeat visits and costs thousands not covered by insurance. I can get 'em pulled for $35 and the toothache is blissfully gone immediately. That's why God gave us 32. I'm down to 24 and I kinda like fiddling around with the missing gaps, sock away some nicorette gum or hard candy in there.

I only have 28.
28-03-2017, 06:10 PM
(28-03-2017 05:54 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

My root canals really weren't all that bad. But I haz a good dentist. ^__^

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
28-03-2017, 06:21 PM
My tips having been dentist-phobic for a long time:

Go somewhere where you like and trust the dentist and their staff. My dentist and all the ladies on his staff always make me feel comfortable and cared for. They give me a measure of control with the procedures, too, as they'll typically let me insert and remove the "tooth pillow" that helps keep your mouth open.

Another thing I do is, I never look at the instruments they use. When I go into one of the "rooms" (they're never closed off, just partitioned off a bit) my eyes are on the chair only and maybe on the tv display showing various services they perform. I do not look at the tools in their cabinet and counter area. The less I know about what they're using on me, the better, or I'll start to worry too much. Also I take my glasses off during the procedures so I really can't see anything but blobs. Smile

I also don't ask for the gruesome details of the procedures. Again because I'll mull it over and over in my mind and worry too much. They're the professionals. I trust them to know what they're doing. EA does not need to know. Sleepy

My dentist has always been very mindful to make sure I'm good and numbed up. They use a topical numbing gel and get me pretty good and numb that way and then they go in with the needles, I'm sure. I typically don't feel much of anything but the tiniest pinch. There were a couple of times where, once he was doing the procedure (root canal, etc.) where I felt a little pinch or something. It didn't hurt, really, but I did feel it enough to where I startled a bit. I told the dentist I was okay and it didn't really feel like pain but they were insistent on adding more numbing medication because I shouldn't feel even that much. Heart So they always take good care of me.

I had two root canals that needed doing and a few cavities that needed filling. Now two porcelain crowns and many appointments later, I'm all fixed up. Smile Just gotta keep up with my regular appointments. You'll do fine, I'm sure. Hug

28-03-2017, 06:45 PM (This post was last modified: 29-03-2017 04:24 AM by BackSlider.)
Yes, Gas!
The bucks I paid was really money well worth it.

So he put this clamp around the tooth and then cranked that little wrench till I thought the tooth would implode.

Then the twisting and the squeaking was really something. So, I would deliberately BREATHEEEeeeeeeeee DEEEeeeeeep, and my happy place was back in full swing.
Gas is the ONLY way I would endure that chit ever again.

You have to be odd to be #1.