Getting tooth pulled

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-03-2017, 07:55 AM
RE: Getting tooth pulled
(28-03-2017 07:11 PM)BackSlider Wrote:  ...Might ask him if you can take a couple Valerian Root prior to help get your calm on. Over the counter derivative of Valium.
The 3 minutes of intensity is accurate for my experience too. When it was over, it was all over too.

Nope. Common misconception. Valerian is a natural herb while valium (diazepam) is a synthetic chemical compound. These two drugs have no derivatisation relationship.

Forget the Valerian, and pop a Valium if you can get a script, as it's primarily a muscle relaxant—which is what you want on the day.

Good luck. Thumbsup

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
29-03-2017, 09:17 AM
Had a tooth pulled out, bad cavity and insurance wouldn't cover anything else but the pull out. My dentist used a gel to numb my mouth if I remember correctly. Wasn't as bad as I thought it was gonna be.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
29-03-2017, 10:01 AM
My grandfather was a dentist. He lived about three hours away from where we lived up in Tahoe but we were very poor and would take the long trip to see him for dental work. He'd been retired for about 20 years and I think in retirement he couldn't legally get novocaine so he drilled on our teeth sans medication. He had an old dental chair out in his garage and an even older dentist drill that was as slow as molasses. It wasn't fun.

He had a small farm with walnut and pear trees and I'd go climb up in a walnut tree and hide from his dentistry. The thing was, he was a really nice, sweet man which somehow made the whole thing worse. I think if I could have worked up some hate for my grandfather my anger would have covered up some of the pain.

Modern dentistry is wonderful and amazing in contrast. I'm so thankful for it.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
29-03-2017, 01:45 PM
(29-03-2017 07:55 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(28-03-2017 07:11 PM)BackSlider Wrote:  ...Might ask him if you can take a couple Valerian Root prior to help get your calm on. Over the counter derivative of Valium.
The 3 minutes of intensity is accurate for my experience too. When it was over, it was all over too.

Nope. Common misconception. Valerian is a natural herb while valium (diazepam) is a synthetic chemical compound. These two drugs have no derivatisation relationship.

Forget the Valerian, and pop a Valium if you can get a script, as it's primarily a muscle relaxant—which is what you want on the day.

Good luck. Thumbsup

Thanks SYZ for correcting my grievous error regarding the clinical / composition differences Thumbsup, but it appears they do both offer similar results. Undecided

" The University of Maryland Medical Center states that valerian has been used for centuries to treat insomnia, anxiety and nervous restlessness. Both Valium and valerian root are thought to affect the level GABA amino acids in your brain, which are related to increased anxiety levels."

http://www.livestrong.com/article/391259...vs-valium/

You have to be odd to be #1.
[+] 1 user Likes BackSlider's post
29-03-2017, 02:46 PM
(28-03-2017 04:38 PM)Leerob Wrote:  ---
Has anybody gotten a tooth (not wisdom) pulled and can tell me how that happens and what that uncomfortable but not pain is supposed to mean?

The only "pain" I've had from extraction was where they put the shot to deaden everything.

I had 2 extractions as a teen and then 2 extractions as an adult and I actually recalled feeling exactly the same after each: it felt like a lot of pressure was relieved. It felt just fine.

As an adult, I thought I may have just told myself this to endure my terror of pain when I was a teen, but nope. It actually felt less crowded in there.

Still terrified of dentists ... until I do research on what they are about to do. Then, it's never as bad as my original terror.

Just give it time to heal & maybe ibuprofen to keep swelling down. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
29-03-2017, 03:05 PM
Thanks everybody. This actually helps me a lot.
I had this horror image of horrendus bleeding and that it just takes forever for a tooth to come out and all of that.
I am a bit more relaxed about it. Still shitting my pants of course because it's a dentist and dentists are evil (no they are not but my brain says that)
But yea. I will have my husband come with me so in case I am a bit wobbly on my feed after the procedure, I can get home safely.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 2 users Like Leerob's post
29-03-2017, 03:09 PM
(28-03-2017 05:54 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(28-03-2017 04:58 PM)Anjele Wrote:  If you have a good dentist it will not be painful. You will feel pressure and there will be a healing time afterward but if it's bothering you that often and that much you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

A good dentist is the key. Last tooth I had pulled I was thinking of getting nitrous but it wasn't covered by insurance and having had nitrous before I knew it wasn't worth an 8-ball. Didn't need it. Good dentists have good techniques for administering the novocaine injection which is the only painful part. I had one that used the flap my lip to distract from the needle and the last one administered the local in stages. Both worked well. The actual extraction takes like 3 minutes with another 2 minutes to cleanup any stray tooth arts. I used to fear dentists and still do fear them for root canals and other valiant "we must save the tooth!" efforts which require repeat visits and costs thousands not covered by insurance. I can get 'em pulled for $35 and the toothache is blissfully gone immediately. That's why God gave us 32. I'm down to 24 and I kinda like fiddling around with the missing gaps, sock away some nicorette gum or hard candy in there.

My dentist is quite liberal with the use of gas. He does not charge extra for it because he says it makes his job easier. Since laying on my back in one of those chairs has been hard for me since my surgeries and my sinuses are crap....he cranks that stuff up on high. I put in earbuds and he lets me know when he's done. It's a win-win.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
29-03-2017, 03:23 PM
(29-03-2017 03:09 PM)Anjele Wrote:  My dentist is quite liberal with the use of gas. He does not charge extra for it because he says it makes his job easier. Since laying on my back in one of those chairs has been hard for me since my surgeries and my sinuses are crap....he cranks that stuff up on high. I put in earbuds and he lets me know when he's done. It's a win-win.

Yay for legal high!

Oh who said the Valium thing? I actually have some Valium at home. Got it last time with my horrible lung infection and never took it. But it's been about a year so I am not sure if it is still good or if it will interact in an unforeseen way with the stuff the doctor uses, so I should probably not take it.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
29-03-2017, 03:31 PM
(29-03-2017 03:23 PM)Leerob Wrote:  
(29-03-2017 03:09 PM)Anjele Wrote:  My dentist is quite liberal with the use of gas. He does not charge extra for it because he says it makes his job easier. Since laying on my back in one of those chairs has been hard for me since my surgeries and my sinuses are crap....he cranks that stuff up on high. I put in earbuds and he lets me know when he's done. It's a win-win.

Yay for legal high!

Oh who said the Valium thing? I actually have some Valium at home. Got it last time with my horrible lung infection and never took it. But it's been about a year so I am not sure if it is still good or if it will interact in an unforeseen way with the stuff the doctor uses, so I should probably not take it.

Valium shouldn't interact with Novacaine in any way. Many dentists here advertise sedation dentistry for people who are nervous patients. As for Valium that's a year old...if it hasn't been somewhere that's real hot for all this time, it should be fine.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
29-03-2017, 03:33 PM
(29-03-2017 03:23 PM)Leerob Wrote:  

Yay for legal high!

If it's only a year old it will still be fine. As long as he isn't putting you in sedation valium would be fine. If he's just using gas then consider valium a free high.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
[+] 2 users Like RearViewMirror's post