Ghost Adventures

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-10-2012, 08:41 PM
RE: Ghost Adventures
Bah , all those ghost hunting shows are fake... I'd say Ghost Hunters had a good running at first but they eventually fell to the staging crap too..

Ghost Adventurers is nothing but fake stuff...

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-10-2012, 08:45 PM
(28-10-2012 08:41 PM)ddrew Wrote:  Bah , all those ghost hunting shows are fake... I'd say Ghost Hunters had a good running at first but they eventually fell to the staging crap too..

I always figured it was for ratings. You can only have people running around in the dark saying "Did you hear that?" and looking scared for so long before it gets old. So then they start rigging the game to make it more exciting.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-10-2012, 02:20 AM
I agree. In the UK, Most Haunted got caught out faking on several occasions, my favourite being when Derek Acorah (famous psychic over here) was fed fake info about a made up person at a location and then proceeded to get 'possessed' by him...the man's name even turned out to be an anagram of 'derek faker' or something. Thing is, he still appears on TV/magazines today, and i think feuded a bit with Derren Brown. Worth googling. They also stopped making Most Haunted haha,although they did use some fantastic historical locations as one poster mentioned
29-10-2012, 03:28 AM
(28-10-2012 08:46 AM)NickyNix85 Wrote:  Hi, I'm Nicky from England, I'm not actually an atheist but a colleague got me listening to the podcasts and I find them very interesting. Just wanted to say that I was hopping through the channels and came across Ghost Adventures - the most RIDICULOUS programme I've ever seen! Terrible acting passed off as something real. We had Most Haunted in the UK which everyone knew was fake but this is far worse. Do people take this programme seriously? Laughable show. Anyway, just thought I'd put my two pence worth in there!

Not familiar with this particular show (I assume it's aired primarily in the UK) but if it is the typical ghost hunter type program, than yes, plenty of folks take those types of shows seriously, including my mother, and mother-in-law. I do not enjoy watching them, but I do enjoy watching the reactions of my mother-in-law. For the record both my mom and mother-in-law are religious Christians who consider things like evolution, and the big bang to be non-sense. At least they have no belief in it, which is kind of amazing.

29-10-2012, 05:44 AM
I watched the show with my ex. She loved it. I loved to laugh at it. The host is obnoxious but Aaron is somewhat funny. I feel bad for the guy. They stick him in these rooms and he seems genuinely terrified. Especially the episode where they put him in the room where somebody was 'gang raped to death' and he looked like he might cry.
29-10-2012, 05:49 AM
(29-10-2012 05:44 AM)riseinside Wrote:  I watched the show with my ex. She loved it. I loved to laugh at it. The host is obnoxious but Aaron is somewhat funny. I feel bad for the guy. They stick him in these rooms and he seems genuinely terrified. Especially the episode where they put him in the room where somebody was 'gang raped to death' and he looked like he might cry.

"You're saying someone was actually gang-raped to *death* in there? ...Well Aaron; I know where you'll be going alone tonight."

Aaron: Dodgy

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
29-10-2012, 06:05 AM
(29-10-2012 05:49 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  
(29-10-2012 05:44 AM)riseinside Wrote:  I watched the show with my ex. She loved it. I loved to laugh at it. The host is obnoxious but Aaron is somewhat funny. I feel bad for the guy. They stick him in these rooms and he seems genuinely terrified. Especially the episode where they put him in the room where somebody was 'gang raped to death' and he looked like he might cry.

"You're saying someone was actually gang-raped to *death* in there? ...Well Aaron; I know where you'll be going alone tonight."

Aaron: Dodgy

I am surprised he hasn't just quit on one of the episodes. I would have lol
[+] 1 user Likes riseinside's post
29-10-2012, 08:18 AM
Haha maybe I'll have to keep watching! It's strange, listening to the podcasts was a bit of a shock - even going to church as a kid and attending a christian secondary school (where i had a completely normal and basically non religious education as is the norm over here) i've never heard anyone mention that evolution and the big bang didn't happen. They're both so obviously fact, no one ever refuted them and we were taught all about them as fact. When i heard the podcasts, i was shocked that this isn't always the case in the US. There is definitely a cultural difference, maybe we don't seem to take everything so literally over here...the show opened my eyes a bit about just how different thinngs can be over the pond
14-12-2012, 02:35 PM
(28-10-2012 08:41 PM)ddrew Wrote:  Bah , all those ghost hunting shows are fake... I'd say Ghost Hunters had a good running at first but they eventually fell to the staging crap too..

OK hear me out, I am from the town where the host Zak went to high school and grew up. They seem fake and cheesy, I thought so too, but I can relate because people from that area are sort of fake and cheesy in they way they present themselves. So I look past that at just what they have presented from the series beginning to end. I study a lot of mechanical, magnetic, and some seismic fields, and there are certain times where they capture things on EMF where I can't think of many physically reasonable or explainable source. At the end of the day, I think they capture compelling material on camera, and I don't often see any situations where they are doing anything but following a scientific method.

I don't think they understand how to interpret and effectively communicate their findings, but that is a different story completely.
14-12-2012, 03:19 PM
(14-12-2012 02:35 PM)conkles Wrote:  

OK hear me out, I am from the town where the host Zak went to high school and grew up. They seem fake and cheesy, I thought so too, but I can relate because people from that area are sort of fake and cheesy in they way they present themselves. So I look past that at just what they have presented from the series beginning to end. I study a lot of mechanical, magnetic, and some seismic fields, and there are certain times where they capture things on EMF where I can't think of many physically reasonable or explainable source. At the end of the day, I think they capture compelling material on camera, and I don't often see any situations where they are doing anything but following a scientific method.

I don't think they understand how to interpret and effectively communicate their findings, but that is a different story completely.

The problem is that they appear to be scientific, yes, but they don't approach their findings in a scientific manner. They have a presupposition that ghosts exist, and that they'll be finding evidence of them. Then, when things happen, they immediately attribute it to the supernatural. Granted, when Zak narrates, he likes to submit the supernatural explanations in the form of a question - "We felt a sudden gust of cold air when there were no windows open. Could this be the spirit of whoeverthefuck trying to communicate with us?" - but he's really just making a positive assertion in disguise. What's more, he seems to look down on "skeptics".

Scientists don't begin with the conclusion. Scientists are inherantly skeptical. I've only seen the guys admit a handful of mistakes or "debunks" since I began watching the show 2 or 3 years ago. It's a fun show, but there is far too much pseudoscience to take it seriously.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Awesome car adventures BlackMason 5 209 05-01-2014 08:34 AM
Last Post: Logisch
  ghost photography grizzlysnake 9 316 01-10-2013 12:08 PM
Last Post: WeAreTheCosmos
  A ghost story (oh boy...) Escape Artist 26 797 30-09-2013 12:37 PM
Last Post: Lightvader
  Holy Ghost Bumps riseinside 14 677 13-12-2012 10:50 AM
Last Post: Free Thought