Ghost Orbs.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-07-2014, 08:13 AM
Ghost Orbs.
I'm looking for perfectly rational explanations to what causes "orbs" to appear in photos.

A couple of examples from a google search...

[Image: jan.orb.caller.1.jpg]

[Image: Orb12.jpg]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSYlptdheZy6W8sZqZWpAN...NHQLWkRvkl]

A lot of people attribute them to the paranormal, however to me it seems logical that there is a pattern of all orbs being captured in images, as opposed to video... at night time/dusk and with flash.

So obv I think in that lies the partial answer but id just like clarification on the science behind it. Is it just a digital anomaly?... small particles that are just extremely close to the camera?... or is it something else?

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
19-07-2014, 08:17 AM
RE: Ghost Orbs.
Dusty lenses.
[+] 8 users Like Mathilda's post
19-07-2014, 08:39 AM
I've seen them on daytime pics too. I think it's dust catching light in a certain way. My wedding video is full of them, some move in slow motion like drifting on air current but some move very erratically.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
19-07-2014, 08:45 AM
It fascinates me that people take this stuff as supernatural.

To me it just looks like when I don't cover my nose quickly enough and accidentally sneeze on my computer screen.
19-07-2014, 09:18 AM
Although I've seen this happen with dust on crappy lenses, there could also be another explanation.

It reminds me a lot of underwater photography when you have a single flash pointing directly in front of you. It can be a real problem then. I made sure to buy two flashes off to either side to avoid this. I didn't mention this earlier because the OP was about shots that wern't taken underwater, but they are taken outside at twilight with a flash and in principle it shouldn't make any difference.
19-07-2014, 05:29 PM (This post was last modified: 19-07-2014 08:58 PM by LadyJane.)
Our human eyes are sooo limited to what actually surrounds us. If you take long exposure, or flash like you mentioned where the light is reflected differently than the current environment being captured, all kinds of things will pop up. Sometimes I will take exposures of the night sky and see things (like birds or clouds) that I didn't know were there, let alone other stuff. Lots of shit floating around us all the time of all matter, shapes and sizes. Camera's are more sensitive than our eyes.

Remember how a reflection of light off your watch can cast huge light patterns and circles on the wall and ceiling? Orbs in photos can be a single fragment of something intensified like this. Taking a photo is painting with light and light can be tricky and manipulative.
[+] 3 users Like LadyJane's post
19-07-2014, 09:08 PM
Some of it is just some reflective light coming from somewhere. Other parts is probably just how the camera captures the light we cannot see when it flashes or the flash itself makes those spots as it captures its own flash.

Like when you get flashed with bright lights and see spots. Its a lot like that.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
19-07-2014, 10:17 PM
When wondering about orbs just remember this mantra

"Dust or bugs"
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
21-07-2014, 08:25 AM
(19-07-2014 08:45 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  It fascinates me that people take this stuff as supernatural.

They must completely lose their shit when they see those floating squigglies in their eyes from remnants of their nictitating membrane.

"The ghost snake is back! I can't get away! I CAN'T GET AWAYYY!!!"
21-07-2014, 08:26 AM
(21-07-2014 08:25 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(19-07-2014 08:45 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  It fascinates me that people take this stuff as supernatural.

They must completely lose their shit when they see those floating squigglies in their eyes from remnants of their nictitating membrane.

"The ghost snake is back! I can't get away! I CAN'T GET AWAYYY!!!"

What!? You mean those aren't the divine noodley wisdom of the FSM!?

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
[+] 1 user Likes CiderThinker's post