Ghost Stories

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-07-2012, 11:15 PM
Ghost Stories
I am in a gaming community called "2Girls1Minecraft" and was look thought the forums like i always do and i find a new thread were people can share ghost stories, so i thought it might be fun to read through some of them. the ones on the first page are all personal experiences/encounters with the supernatural and whether or not they are true is beyond me. If your interested in the post i found here's the link:
http://2g1m.net/showthread.php?1803-Tell...st-Stories

I would also be interested in seeing if any of the Atheist on the forums have any ghost stories they wish to share and if they actually believed what they experienced and/or maybe went to go get help on the matter. Seth did a podcast of this a few years ago and i would like to see more of everyone else's stories. Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-07-2012, 11:55 PM
RE: Ghost Stories
Philhellenes covers this rather well from a scientific perspective...

I recall my maths teacher explaining ghosts by asking us to imagine how we would react to a 2-dimensional object if we lived in a 1-dimensional world, or react to a 3-dimensional object if we lived in a 2-dimensional world, or react to a 4-dimensional object if we lived in a 3-dimensional world, etc.

He didn't know then that potentially there are 11 dimensions so maybe a ghost is a 9-dimensional object visible in our 4-dimensional world?

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
18-07-2012, 12:48 AM
I read somewhere that some research had been done that strongly suggested that ghosts are pretty much the result of how our brain reacts to a certain low frequency sound range. I think it was supposed to be somewhere between 6 to 19 megahertz, if I remember the range correctly. The explanation for the reaction is that evolution programmed our brains to react with negative emotions like fear and panic when exposed to this frequency range as a survival mechanism. Maybe potentially deadly things in nature create this frequency, such as the growls of large predators and potentially dangerous weather/atmospheric conditions or oncoming earthquakes, and the reaction is supposed to therefore make us quickly vacate the area or seek shelter, thus hopefully ensuring our survival.

Many things in our unnatural world also cause this frequency, such as bad piping or electrical wiring.

I experienced some things that made me stop and wonder sometimes whether I was seeing what I thought at the time were demons or ghosts, but when I took some time to think back on what I had experienced and what the conditions of my environment had been during those times, I could easily pass it off as the reaction of my brain to that low frequency sound range, as there were various sources from which it could have come.

This article talks about what I'm referring to, but it wasn't the original source material I had read about this from. I can't seem to locate that anymore...
18-07-2012, 08:36 AM
(18-07-2012 12:48 AM)SlipStitch Wrote:  I read somewhere that some research had been done that strongly suggested that ghosts are pretty much the result of how our brain reacts to a certain low frequency sound range. I think it was supposed to be somewhere between 6 to 19 megahertz, if I remember the range correctly. The explanation for the reaction is that evolution programmed our brains to react with negative emotions like fear and panic when exposed to this frequency range as a survival mechanism. Maybe potentially deadly things in nature create this frequency, such as the growls of large predators and potentially dangerous weather/atmospheric conditions or oncoming earthquakes, and the reaction is supposed to therefore make us quickly vacate the area or seek shelter, thus hopefully ensuring our survival.

Many things in our unnatural world also cause this frequency, such as bad piping or electrical wiring.

I experienced some things that made me stop and wonder sometimes whether I was seeing what I thought at the time were demons or ghosts, but when I took some time to think back on what I had experienced and what the conditions of my environment had been during those times, I could easily pass it off as the reaction of my brain to that low frequency sound range, as there were various sources from which it could have come.

This article talks about what I'm referring to, but it wasn't the original source material I had read about this from. I can't seem to locate that anymore...
That should be 6 to 19 Hz. The range of human hearing is approximately 20 Hz to 20 kHz.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-07-2012, 10:24 PM
Thank you for the correction, Chas. Smile