"Ghost" pictures

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2011, 03:17 PM (This post was last modified: 26-02-2011 03:21 PM by Observer.)
"Ghost" pictures
I like ghost pictures. They are natural optical illusions, and I like optical illusions as well. (Our daughter’s birth announcement featured one)

There was a time I could surf the web for hours searching for ghost pictures.
The bulk of pictures are those "orbs" or "ectoplasm’s" which are mostly just dust, raindrops, gnats or camera-straps. Boring! No, I like the one's where you can clearly see faces or spectres. (I believe there is a scientific word for the mechanism that makes you associate objects with faces, but I forgot what exactly.) This one is my favourite.
[Image: tree1.jpg]

This one puzzled me for a long time. I think it’s is someone with a scarf around his/her neck walking away from the camera but I am not sure why anyone would wear a scarf on such a sunny day.
[Image: solwayfirth.jpg]

Anyway...
The human mind is so receptive for suggestion. I rarely trust my own perception at first glance and I think no one should.

Care to share your favourite ghost picture?

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-02-2011, 07:51 PM
RE: "Ghost" pictures
Second pic didn't work. (At least not for me)

I too, really like optical illusions. That first one is great. It's amazing how the mind tells us that looks like a person with so little detail. The human brain is fucking cool!

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
26-02-2011, 11:55 PM
(26-02-2011 07:51 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Second pic didn't work. (At least not for me)
found a second source but it is B&W
[Image: IMAG0000.JPG]

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
27-02-2011, 12:01 AM
The in the picture with the little girl I noticed that the spaceman like object is casting no visible shadow, but the girl has a well defined shadow. I suspect a hoax.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
28-02-2011, 01:59 PM
The word you're looking for, The Observer, is "pareidolia".

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Ghost Orbs. bemore 27 375 29-07-2014 04:08 PM
Last Post: Mr Woof
  Is this the same moron that ghost was following? Hobbitgirl 10 518 07-07-2013 01:58 PM
Last Post: ghostexorcist
  Musician Kesha Claims to have had Sex with a Ghost! Dark Light 18 2,345 10-12-2012 03:35 AM
Last Post: Misanthropik
  Ghost Stories Luke_Atheist 4 668 18-07-2012 10:24 PM
Last Post: SlipStitch
  Piano Ghost? TheBeardedDude 2 1,102 20-05-2012 12:03 AM
Last Post: Erxomai
  Like Ghost Stories? gamutman 0 273 27-09-2011 11:44 PM
Last Post: gamutman
  Ghost Adventurers and the like...... tonyahunting 5 784 03-04-2011 10:18 PM
Last Post: The Doctor