"Ghost" pictures

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2011, 03:17 PM (This post was last modified: 26-02-2011 03:21 PM by Observer.)
"Ghost" pictures
I like ghost pictures. They are natural optical illusions, and I like optical illusions as well. (Our daughter’s birth announcement featured one)

There was a time I could surf the web for hours searching for ghost pictures.
The bulk of pictures are those "orbs" or "ectoplasm’s" which are mostly just dust, raindrops, gnats or camera-straps. Boring! No, I like the one's where you can clearly see faces or spectres. (I believe there is a scientific word for the mechanism that makes you associate objects with faces, but I forgot what exactly.) This one is my favourite.
[Image: tree1.jpg]

This one puzzled me for a long time. I think it’s is someone with a scarf around his/her neck walking away from the camera but I am not sure why anyone would wear a scarf on such a sunny day.
[Image: solwayfirth.jpg]

Anyway...
The human mind is so receptive for suggestion. I rarely trust my own perception at first glance and I think no one should.

Care to share your favourite ghost picture?

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-02-2011, 07:51 PM
RE: "Ghost" pictures
Second pic didn't work. (At least not for me)

I too, really like optical illusions. That first one is great. It's amazing how the mind tells us that looks like a person with so little detail. The human brain is fucking cool!

You have just begun reading the sentence you have just finished reading.
26-02-2011, 11:55 PM
(26-02-2011 07:51 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Second pic didn't work. (At least not for me)
found a second source but it is B&W
[Image: IMAG0000.JPG]

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
27-02-2011, 12:01 AM
The in the picture with the little girl I noticed that the spaceman like object is casting no visible shadow, but the girl has a well defined shadow. I suspect a hoax.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
28-02-2011, 01:59 PM
The word you're looking for, The Observer, is "pareidolia".

"Haven't you got any romance in your soul?"
"No," said Granny. "I ain't. And stars don't care what you wish, and magic don't make things better, and no one doesn't get burnt who sticks their hand in a fire."

- Terry Pratchett, Witches Abroad