Ghosts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2015, 08:35 AM
Shocked Ghosts
Ok, I don't mean to be silly, but for some reason I decided to go read some ghosts stories, and now I'm kinda freaked out. I was reading an article that was a list of creepy things kids say about their "imaginary friends." That didn't scare me as much as the comments. Tons of people were commenting their own ghosts stories. Weird stuff like "my child had an imaginary friend named james mccoy, and come to find out the man who owned this house in the late 1800's was named james mccoy." Shocking

Could people be making this stuff up? Is their an explanation to these supernatural encounters that will help me sleep tonight? LOL Unsure

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2015, 08:44 AM
RE: Ghosts
It is most likely we do not have anything more than a crude understanding of the nature of the universe.

However - I'm guessing it's safe to say that ghosts, goblins and other spooky type stuff is nothing more than campfire talk, designed to scare the children.

Much like religion.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
06-02-2015, 08:45 AM
Well, it can be that they are made up, or maybe they're urban legends. Many tales that seem true that you will google, turn out to be urban legends.

But let me tell you that even if you're an atheist and a skeptic, ghost stories and horror stories as well can scare you anyway. This might depend on each person, some really pragmatic people will not care, but everyone has some fear about something, either rational or irrational.

Irrational fears are a beast because you can try to reason your sanity way out of them, but something might still stay there, linger in your mind. And I guess that's the awesome part of reading scary stories.

I have read some short scary stories: Some really scared the crap out of me.
I have watched some short scary cartoons: Some really scared the crap out of me.

And even if I think "Bah, that thing cannot exist", the fear or part of it will stay there because it doesn't attack your rational side, but your irrational side. You understand that they don't make sense, but...

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Polyglot Atheist's post
06-02-2015, 09:00 AM
(06-02-2015 08:44 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  It is most likely we do not have anything more than a crude understanding of the nature of the universe.

That's a good answer! Thumbsup

(06-02-2015 08:45 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Well, it can be that they are made up, or maybe they're urban legends. Many tales that seem true that you will google, turn out to be urban legends.

But let me tell you that even if you're an atheist and a skeptic, ghost stories and horror stories as well can scare you anyway. This might depend on each person, some really pragmatic people will not care, but everyone has some fear about something, either rational or irrational.

Irrational fears are a beast because you can try to reason your sanity way out of them, but something might still stay there, linger in your mind. And I guess that's the awesome part of reading scary stories.

I have read some short scary stories: Some really scared the crap out of me.
I have watched some short scary cartoons: Some really scared the crap out of me.

And even if I think "Bah, that thing cannot exist", the fear or part of it will stay there because it doesn't attack your rational side, but your irrational side. You understand that they don't make sense, but...

I know! It's fear of the unknown. I know it's silly, but that doesn't stop me from turning all the lights in the house on! LOL Rolleyes

their lives a mimicry,
-Oscar Wilde
[+] 1 user Likes LadyWallFlower's post
06-02-2015, 09:01 AM
Want me to give links to short stories and/or cartoons? You're going to love them! Tongue

Of course, I advise doing so in the morning, so you have all day to forget LOL But if you want the shivering experience: in the evening, lights off and you're alone in the room. Big Grin

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
06-02-2015, 09:09 AM
(06-02-2015 09:01 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Want me to give links to short stories and/or cartoons? You're going to love them! Tongue

Of course, I advise doing so in the morning, so you have all day to forget LOL But if you want the shivering experience: in the evening, lights off and you're alone in the room. Big Grin

No way! I've had my fill of creepy stories for one day. It is morning here, and I still had all the lights on!

I keep telling myself that if my apartment has a ghost, it's probably a nice one. lol Yes

their lives a mimicry,
-Oscar Wilde
06-02-2015, 09:19 AM
I can tell u that I had one experience that I can't explain. My husband and I were driving to my parents house, I was looking out thr window just looking at the houses we passed and then I saw a man hanging from a noose on the porch of a house. I made my husband pull over and to go back. When we got there there was nothing there thr house was empty. I was so puzzled. Still don't know what to.make of that.
06-02-2015, 09:20 AM
(06-02-2015 08:35 AM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  Could people be making this stuff up? Is their an explanation to these supernatural encounters that will help me sleep tonight? LOL Unsure

Well, it's probably safe to say people who believe in ghosts aren't going to go out of their way to explain their "encounters". For instance, that guy with the kid might be conveniently forgetting that time he shared some interesting facts about their home's history with his kid, or he might be underestimating his kid's ability to type his address into Google. Or the kid might have actually named his imaginary friend some childlike babble that just kind of sort of sounded like James Mccoy when you listened for it.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
06-02-2015, 09:25 AM
I don't mind when my imaginary friends are talking with me in my head. It's when everything goes quiet that I know the fuckers are up to no good.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 6 users Like yakherder's post
06-02-2015, 09:42 AM
(06-02-2015 09:19 AM)purpledaisies Wrote:  I can tell u that I had one experience that I can't explain. My husband and I were driving to my parents house, I was looking out thr window just looking at the houses we passed and then I saw a man hanging from a noose on the porch of a house. I made my husband pull over and to go back. When we got there there was nothing there thr house was empty. I was so puzzled. Still don't know what to.make of that.

That's scary!

I had a friend a long time ago who believed in ghosts a lot, and she said that there is this supernatural thing where a significant moment in time will happen repeatedly in supernatural form. She said she had this happen in her yard where she'll hear footsteps walking the same path every so often, but no one is there. *shudder* Unsure

their lives a mimicry,
-Oscar Wilde