Ghosts!!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-03-2018, 09:10 AM
RE: Ghosts!!!
Unless you subscribe to the imprint on the atmosphere theory of ghosts and hauntings which has been thoroughly debunked then believing in ghosts requires you believe in the post mortem existence of an individual and there is no evidence for this whatsoever. With ghosts and the supernatural the best thing to do is follow the money trail, from ghost hunting tv programmes and tours to haunted hotels pubs and inns through to psychics mediums and paranormal investigators the common factors are either money making or attention and publicity. An atheist who believes in ghosts is at best irrational and at worst self deceived or deluded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-03-2018, 11:06 AM
(07-03-2018 01:43 AM)SYZ Wrote:  But then Americans also call deep-fried chicken portions "buffalo wings".

Not all deep-fried chicken -- only wings with a certain kind of sauce that first became popular in the city of Buffalo, NY. So it's actually a perfectly logical name that has nothing to do with the animal.
07-03-2018, 11:32 AM
I was sitting at my desk one night when i heard a crash behind me. I look at the floor and saw glass shards everywhere. I look up at the ceiling light and all 3 bulbs are still working. I look more closely and see that the cover of one of them had somehow slipped off, but the rest of it was completely intact. I chuckled and thought "this must be the kind of shit that causes people to believe in ghosts."
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
07-03-2018, 11:55 AM
(07-03-2018 11:06 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(07-03-2018 01:43 AM)SYZ Wrote:  But then Americans also call deep-fried chicken portions "buffalo wings".

Not all deep-fried chicken -- only wings with a certain kind of sauce that first became popular in the city of Buffalo, NY. So it's actually a perfectly logical name that has nothing to do with the animal.
The "buffalo" part comes from the sauce you put on them. They're buffalo-style chicken wings.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-03-2018, 12:33 PM
(07-03-2018 11:55 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(07-03-2018 11:06 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Not all deep-fried chicken -- only wings with a certain kind of sauce that first became popular in the city of Buffalo, NY. So it's actually a perfectly logical name that has nothing to do with the animal.
The "buffalo" part comes from the sauce you put on them. They're buffalo-style chicken wings.

Right. Now, if he asks about chicken-fried steak, I'm leaving that one for someone else.

Tongue
07-03-2018, 12:53 PM
(06-03-2018 05:36 PM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  So I'm a housekeeper, and I'm a part of this housekeeping group on Facebook. I've seen some posts talking about experiences cleaning haunted houses. I'm the type of person that tries to reason things out, but some of these stories are explainable...unless, of course, they're lying- but I don't think they are. Any atheists here believe in ghosts?

Meh never seen or experienced a ghost so nah not really, if ghosts are real though we should make some ghost generators. Like if ghosts can move shit around, why not power a dynamo?

This god, this one word: I.
-Ayn Rand
07-03-2018, 05:42 PM
(07-03-2018 01:43 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(07-03-2018 12:33 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  We all know the koalas aren't actually bears...

Well, Jerry obviously doesn't. Big Grin

And did you know there's no such thing as an American buffalo? They're actually misnamed bison. But then Americans also call deep-fried chicken portions "buffalo wings".

For that matter there really no such thing as an "American". To the best of our knowledge, no humans evolved in the Americas -- we're all either immigrants or the descendants of immigrants. Even Donald Trump. Wink

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
08-03-2018, 06:40 AM
(06-03-2018 05:36 PM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  So I'm a housekeeper, and I'm a part of this housekeeping group on Facebook. I've seen some posts talking about experiences cleaning haunted houses. I'm the type of person that tries to reason things out, but some of these stories are explainable...unless, of course, they're lying- but I don't think they are. Any atheists here believe in ghosts?

A lot of this is people hearing or seeing something inside an unfamiliar house and not trying to pin down an explanation for it. My house used have squirrels in the attic until I repaired the eaves. They made all kinds of noises that would have scared someone unfamiliar with the house if they heard them rustling around in the attic.

Another example was a very soft trilling sound that would occur at night, it was so quiet that I could only hear it with everything turned off with nothing making any noise, even a TV making noise in another room would drown it out. I puzzled over this for years as to what this sound was, I only heard it in the summer, which suggested it was some sort of animal.

So I go to museum that has a display of several types of animals that live around here and I see a display of a certain species of frog and it has a button you can press to hear how it sounds. Wouldn't you know it! It was the exact sound I have been hearing all of these years, I finally solved the mystery. But that was not easy to figure out, it took a number of years until the answer presented itself. People just aren't going to be that tenacious to figure stuff like that out, it's far easier to just say -ghosts!

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
08-03-2018, 07:20 AM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2018 07:24 AM by OakTree500.)

When I was a kid, I 100% believed in ghosts, because I thought I saw one. I remember it even today, what I thought I saw, which was an apparition coming from a certain area of my room when I was very 5 or 6. It scared the shit out of me, which is why I seem to remember it.

Later in the years, I came to understand the process the brain/how you see things etc, and the fact I was very very young. That plus factoring in that it never seemingly happened again past that time frame, nor have I met anybody else sharing the same experiences, I'm either "The Chosen one" or my brain was developing and I THOUGHT I saw something that wasn't really there. My brain saw a change in light/shadow and somehow I processed this in my head to think "there is someone or something in my room" which to a 6 year old is probably one of the scariest thing you can think of. Once you realise that life is boring, and that the only bad things on the planet that are out to get you are other people, life is fine. I can walk around in the dark freely, and not totally shit myself at night when you hear a bump/creaking or whatever, because there are 100% logical explanations for everything.

And THEN you factor in the logic of supposed ghosts. What are they doing? Are they supposed to be sentient? Have they seen me jacking off and taking a dump? If so, do they understand or are stuck in some sort of time loop etc. I imagine these days, if ghosts were real, they'd have all moved out of their houses due to them being filled with new people who do gross things.

These days, some 24ish years later, I laugh about it because it's SO dumb that I can't even fathom those that take ghosts or the idea of ghosts seriously in any manner at all.

I'm training for a 10K run, read about it in my blog :
Lost In Pace - A Running Blog
08-03-2018, 07:55 AM
Also this:

[Image: k8tTUbx.gif]

I'm training for a 10K run, read about it in my blog :
Lost In Pace - A Running Blog