Ghosts!!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-03-2018, 09:07 AM
RE: Ghosts!!!
(07-03-2018 12:33 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(07-03-2018 11:55 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  The "buffalo" part comes from the sauce you put on them. They're buffalo-style chicken wings.

Right. Now, if he asks about chicken-fried steak, I'm leaving that one for someone else.

Tongue

That's steak with the breading usually used on fried chicken. "Steak fried in the style of fried chicken" is a mouth full.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2018, 09:44 AM
I might add that chicken fried steak is usually a tougher piece of meat that is pounded flat prior to breading and cooking.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes JAH's post
08-03-2018, 07:18 PM
Rules Ghosts Follow:

1. The clothing ghosts wear has to conform to their shape & movements as if they were solid. But as they pass through solid objects so does their clothing. No ghost has ever convincingly accounted for where this special attire is obtained - certainly not Macy's. Or Goodwill.

2. All surfaces are as a gas to a ghost; they pass through them as if they weren't there. Exception: horizontal surfaces, like floors, chair seats, tables, benches, shelves, etc. These will support a ghost shape walking or sitting on them. Gravity affects ghosts; without this exception ghosts would drift helplessly toward the earth's center.

3. Ghosts are subject to the laws of inertia, just like gravity. When leaping through the wall of a moving train a ghost will land solidly on the train's floor and lurch with the abrupt change in momentum.

4. Ghosts cannot see or hear anything beyond the sight and hearing of the living. Their sensory apparatus has the same limitations as were had while alive. But they can fly.

5. Ghosts will assume physical postures the living use to ease their muscles, such as leaning against a door jamb, sitting down, etc.

6. Ghosts have to blink, just as the living do. Not sure why, but they all do it.

Feel free to fill in rules I've missed.

Laugh out load
[+] 3 users Like Airportkid's post
08-03-2018, 07:21 PM
(08-03-2018 07:18 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  2. All surfaces are as a gas to a ghost; they pass through them as if they weren't there. Exception: horizontal surfaces, like floors, chair seats, tables, benches, shelves, etc. These will support a ghost shape walking or sitting on them. Gravity affects ghosts; without this exception ghosts would drift helplessly toward the earth's center.

3. Ghosts are subject to the laws of inertia, just like gravity. When leaping through the wall of a moving train a ghost will land solidly on the train's floor and lurch with the abrupt change in momentum.

Those also apply to characters "out of phase" in any sci-fi show

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
09-03-2018, 01:59 AM
(06-03-2018 05:44 PM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  I'm just sitting here thinking about if ghosts were real, so humor me. So if we become ghosts when we die, I see no reason why animals and any living creature can't become ghosts too. Imagine there's just ghost lions and ghost cockroaches and shit.
What are ghosts made of?

Are they made of matter? Where does that matter come from? Does it separate from your body when you die?

If they aren't made of matter, then are they massless energy?
If massless energy then they must travel at the speed of light.
So how do they stay on Earth (which is spinning and orbiting around in space)?
Gravity would have no affect on them, nor would inertia or angular momentum. How would they stay in a particular spot on the surface of the Earth?

The idea of ghosts is absurd. If you hear something go bump in the middle of the night, try to look for a more mundane cause rather than a magical one.
09-03-2018, 07:16 AM
(06-03-2018 05:36 PM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  So I'm a housekeeper, and I'm a part of this housekeeping group on Facebook. I've seen some posts talking about experiences cleaning haunted houses. I'm the type of person that tries to reason things out, but some of these stories are explainable...unless, of course, they're lying- but I don't think they are. Any atheists here believe in ghosts?

The word "atheist" only refers to claims of God/god/gods, so it is not impossible for an atheist to believe in ghosts, but to me just as much garbage since both would be naked assertions claiming the super natural exist.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
09-03-2018, 07:36 AM
(09-03-2018 07:16 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(06-03-2018 05:36 PM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  So I'm a housekeeper, and I'm a part of this housekeeping group on Facebook. I've seen some posts talking about experiences cleaning haunted houses. I'm the type of person that tries to reason things out, but some of these stories are explainable...unless, of course, they're lying- but I don't think they are. Any atheists here believe in ghosts?

The word "atheist" only refers to claims of God/god/gods, so it is not impossible for an atheist to believe in ghosts, but to me just as much garbage since both would be naked assertions claiming the super natural exist.
But ghosts have a spiritual context, implying that the person persists after the body has died. This leads to Heaven and the rest of that freight. They're just stair stepping the argument with this kind of question.
09-03-2018, 09:00 AM
Nope.

A bit of Googling last Halloween and a few experiences have told me a lot of people think this campus is crawling with them, though.

Apparently there's one of the dorm floor I lived in my freshmen year (who decided not to pay a visit to skeptical me).

Apparently there's another in the psychology/English building that gets pissy whenever someone makes a loud noise (heard several loud noises. Seen no ghost).

I've already told the tale of Dorothy the theater ghost.

I came back from winter break to find my suitemates were convinced there was a ghost in the dorm because they heard a noise then found a gift card they didn't recognize on the floor. I figure they probably heard something else and just had previously not noticed the card until they were searching for a source of the noise, but I didn't come up with that explanation under the conversation was over.

It's annoying. I hate how people consider ghosts the default explanation for everything they're slightly confused about. Heard a rattling sound? No possible explanation other than ghosts! Dodgy

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
09-03-2018, 10:34 AM
(07-03-2018 11:06 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Not all deep-fried chicken -- only wings with a certain kind of sauce that first became popular in the city of Buffalo, NY. So it's actually a perfectly logical name that has nothing to do with the animal.

I understood that Buffalo NY was named by settlers after the bison they mistook as buffaloes? So there is a direct connection with the animal. Consider

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
09-03-2018, 10:44 AM
(09-03-2018 10:34 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(07-03-2018 11:06 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Not all deep-fried chicken -- only wings with a certain kind of sauce that first became popular in the city of Buffalo, NY. So it's actually a perfectly logical name that has nothing to do with the animal.

I understood that Buffalo NY was named by settlers after the bison they mistook as buffaloes? So there is a direct connection with the animal. Consider
Well bite my brisket, the first buffalo wings were actually served in Buffalo back in 1964.

time.com/3957370/buffalo-wings/